Polls open today at noon for school m...

Polls open today at noon for school merger straw vote

There are 19 comments on the WKTV story from Sep 12, 2012, titled Polls open today at noon for school merger straw vote. In it, WKTV reports that:

Polls open Tuesday for a straw vote for a school merger. Herkimer, Ilion and Mohawk residents can head to their respective voting locations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

Merger of the Friends

Weedsport, NY

#1 Sep 12, 2012
This article is one-sided. The author chose only to take the word of those who would be interviewed, the pro-merger folks. He failed to present any of the downsides and risks and presented proposals and speculation as facts. Certainly there has been enough discussion over these matters over the months that he could have presented both sides even without quoting those who oppose the merger. I find it very telling that people actually fear reprisal if they speak their mind. The pro-merger people have had a gang mentality throughout this entire process. That's scary.
free will of the people

New York, NY

#2 Sep 12, 2012
Merger of the Friends wrote:
This article is one-sided. The author chose only to take the word of those who would be interviewed, the pro-merger folks. He failed to present any of the downsides and risks and presented proposals and speculation as facts. Certainly there has been enough discussion over these matters over the months that he could have presented both sides even without quoting those who oppose the merger. I find it very telling that people actually fear reprisal if they speak their mind. The pro-merger people have had a gang mentality throughout this entire process. That's scary.
Agree with your assessment.The story as you say is not only the merger,but the intimidation and fear factor that persists regarding opinions on several local political issues. Those who use fear and intimidation severly hurt their cause, and show that they are loosing their arguments that should based on facts, logic, and a sound philosophy. Results obtained by intimdation and fear will not stand,those obtained through information,facts, and respect of the views of others is setting a strong foundation.
Lets hope what ever the outcome here, that it will be the latter that the straw vote reflects.
At Least

New York, NY

#3 Sep 12, 2012
we will know the size of the gap between yes and 'some' no votes. I believe the Yes voters are fully organized, mobilized and ready to cast. The no votes, not so much. I expect the straw vote to pass. Again, this vote will merely show the gap which needs to be closed by the no voters - if they so choose. Apathy my friends. The yes votes are counting on it.
Merger of the Friends

Weedsport, NY

#4 Sep 12, 2012
Actually, I've seen many dissenters here and on Facebook. The differences between the yes people and the no people are these:

The yes people are loud, they spew speculation as fact, they insult, harass and call names, they make up numbers and other imaginary things in order to sway those that tend to follow rather than do the research themselves. The yes people are arrogant and bullying

The no people are quieter, they ask questions and voice concerns and doubts. The no people demonstrate humility and genuine concern for the children.

I hope that the quiet translates into a resounding NO!
Herkimer Haiku

Rochester, NY

#5 Sep 12, 2012
informal poll says
Mohawk Valley High will win !
accept it, move on
him

Syracuse, NY

#6 Sep 12, 2012
poll says upurs will lose
vote NO and stay in rochester pig
Cat Piss

Syracuse, NY

#7 Sep 12, 2012
him wrote:
poll says upurs will lose
vote NO and stay in rochester pig
Wow that was intelligent...you really need the merger school. Must be a Herkimer student.
Total Agreement

Tully, NY

#8 Sep 12, 2012
Merger of the Friends wrote:
Actually, I've seen many dissenters here and on Facebook. The differences between the yes people and the no people are these:
The yes people are loud, they spew speculation as fact, they insult, harass and call names, they make up numbers and other imaginary things in order to sway those that tend to follow rather than do the research themselves. The yes people are arrogant and bullying
The no people are quieter, they ask questions and voice concerns and doubts. The no people demonstrate humility and genuine concern for the children.
I hope that the quiet translates into a resounding NO!
I couldn't agree more. The "committee to review the pro's and con's" of merging presented one side only. There is a very big intimidation factor in voicing an opinion against merger. Name calling is unreal. We are not forward thinkers. We are stuck in the past, and on and on. Why can't we have different beliefs in what we feel might be best for OUR OWN children? My parenting is different than others. I chose to purchase a home in a small school district for a number of reasons. If this goes through, I guess I will need to decide whether I want to send my children to a bigger school and ride buses or to sell my home and move so my child can continue to go to a small school and not ride a bus. Again....we all make choices. I am not about to voice my opinion to others as I do not want retribution against myself or my children. Recent graduates from Mohawk are now attending major universities including Princeton. If things are so bad here, how is that possible? I could go on and on, unfortunately, I am not going to change a yes vote to no any more than someone is going to change my no vote to a yes.
Nope

United States

#9 Sep 12, 2012
Yup voted no today...
dumbasses

New York, NY

#10 Sep 12, 2012
This poll shouldn't even have been open to those who don't have children in the schools. The old people want this change, yet complain about everything else.
Merger of the Friends

Weedsport, NY

#11 Sep 12, 2012
dumbasses wrote:
This poll shouldn't even have been open to those who don't have children in the schools. The old people want this change, yet complain about everything else.
Agreed. But that's part of the state's strategy, offer a menial tax savings to property owners who otherwise would have no stake in the game and that might be incentive enough to push the yes vote over the edge. They're trying to play us dumb redneck country folk....
parent

Little Falls, NY

#12 Sep 12, 2012
I voted no today
didnt grow up in ilion

Buffalo, NY

#13 Sep 12, 2012
i didn't grow up here.... but have children in two schools. one of the main reasons we moved here was because it was a small district. i came from a district that has 12 elem schools,3 jr highs and 2 high schools that are 9-12. kids tend to get lost in such a large district. Alot of them after they graduated only went to a community college. it isn't going to be any better if they merge...... WE VOTED NO !!!!
Merger of the Friends

Weedsport, NY

#14 Sep 12, 2012
And here we go again. For those who voted No, please share your thoughts, concerns and questions with your friends, neighbors, family and school administrators. Provoke rational thought.
The yes folks have their agenda well expressed and accepted. If you really believe the schools shouldn't merge, speak up and help to promote your cause at least as strongly as the yes folks.
Our kids, I believe, have more to lose than to gain in the long run.
jackass

Waltham, MA

#15 Sep 12, 2012
You dumb fks dont realize the shT your getting yourselves in to...
Merger of the Friends

Weedsport, NY

#16 Sep 12, 2012
jackass wrote:
You dumb fks dont realize the shT your getting yourselves in to...
Keeping it civil and expressing your thoughts goes a lot further than the message above. Seriously, if you want a different outcome, try to say it in a way that people can hear it without being insulted.
Herkimer Haiku

Rochester, NY

#17 Sep 12, 2012
looks like YES has won
Thirty Three Hundred votes yes
Eighteen Hundred no
well

Ilion, NY

#19 Sep 12, 2012
tell me where the money will come from when state aid runs out
Hmmmmm

New York, NY

#20 Sep 12, 2012
Ridiculous.... Congrats Cos I'm sure that you will enjoy your great big raise when the merger is complete! And we are left with a lot of "ifs" and "maybes". May be more opportunities for the kids. May be more sports offered. May be other classes offered. I am anxious to see if these ideas come through. Does anyone know if there are follow up meetings AFTER the merger is completed to see if the findings in the study are accurate once they are put in action? Or is that going to be left to the new school board that would be elected? Or is this just a bandaid to allow the current people enough time to finish out their terms/careers without "rocking the boat"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oneida county taxes went UP 3 min Need to Waken 69
City of utica taxes up 7.8% 4 min Rip Van Winkle 137
pacenti and Cuomo united (Mar '14) 5 min We are Brothers 461
Kim Strong rescue in Brookfield? 6 min Sarah M 33
NEW Democratic Party Election Commissoner 6 min Media In denial 9
Steve DiMeo - Mohawk Valley Edge 7 min Media In denial 44
st luke emergencyroom to slow (Feb '11) 11 min Edward 32

Mohawk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mohawk Mortgages