mohawk field days start tonight!!

Posted in the Mohawk Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
my opinion

Schenectady, NY

#1 May 20, 2010
Gridley Page tonight, the Bomb Friday and Fulton Chain Gang on Saturday!
same old

Syracuse, NY

#2 May 20, 2010
so what...just another Valley excuse for drunkenness and widespread debauchery from white trash, redneck idiots....
Punky

United States

#3 May 20, 2010
Cant wait been looking forward to it! Never saw any of these bands and I've been looking forward to it!
jpz

Herkimer, NY

#4 May 20, 2010
they should just set up the stage and the beer tent and not waste the money on the rides and games. what a waste of time
Punky

United States

#5 May 20, 2010
The rides and games will be enjoyed by the children! What time does gridley page Start?
tiredofitall

Auburn, NY

#6 May 21, 2010
The band played last night until about 11:45pm and rocked the village. If it was any group other than the FD putting this on - people would be up in arms. That is just too late for a Thursday night when kids have to get up for school and people have to go to work.

The organizers should know not to let things go so loud and so late!!!!!!!!
my opinion

Albany, NY

#7 May 21, 2010
The field days are generally in the summer months, when there is no school, in order to get better rides this year they had to have it earlier in the year. It was one night, it is not like it is an on-going thing. They will have bands this weekend, things will be loud until midnight, then you will not have to worry about noise the rest of the summer. It is for a good cause.
Question

AOL

#8 May 21, 2010
Just how much profit do they make after expenses? I belong to a service group and we were thinking of renting the park and doing the same thing only a little bigger. How much does it cost to rent the park by the day/weekend? We have access to some great rock concert groups.
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#9 May 22, 2010
I just have to shake my head and laugh when i see threads like this against the fire department. A fire department that is 100% volunteer. A fire department that just may save the home of the person who trashed them in this thread. Who may just save the life of the people trashing them in this thread.
In order to remain an all volunteer fire department and save the taxpayers of this town some money, this department works hard to make the field days a success every year. A success being that they raised the funds to be able to keep equipment updated, keep themselves safe when entering into harm's way to save someone else.
It is a pity some people have to try to knock an organization for their community service. Some kind of community spirit that shows.
The appreciation the fire department has for all that support the fundraisers is greater than I could ever express on here. To the naysayers, they will not judge you, or deny you your freedom of speech. They will come to your aid as they would anyone in need. Not a word uttered against you. They will do their VOLUNTEER job, dust themselves off and head home to their waiting families....having not got a night's sleep, missed a birthday celebration or head to work bone tired. That's what they do.
If we could all show their amount of community spirit, this village would be amazing!
PROUD

Potsdam, NY

#10 May 22, 2010
Well said! Too bad there weren't more people like you in this community instead of people who love to start trouble and critisize others. Maybe they too should take a good look in the mirror and clean out their own closet instead of judging others. Mohawk is a fine community with great people in it and it only takes a few to try and bring it down. Keep doing what you do and take those with no morals and let them go at the way side. They're not worth it anyway!
Whoa

Las Vegas, NV

#11 May 22, 2010
I didn't read anyone trashing the firemen, but rather saying they shouldn't have such a loud band playing so late on a Thursday night when school is in session.

I really wish the firemen would stop reacting like this every time someone didn't worship the group they walk on.
FED-UPnREADY2SNA P

Hamilton, NY

#12 May 22, 2010
I completely agree Whoa, Noone has trashed the Volunteer fire dept. Although I don't really see how they could save someone or fight a fire while they are all in the beer tent cocked off their asses. The field days are a wonderful way to bring money into the community and help serve the great...yes I said GREAT volunteers in the F.D. although I think they could do a better job at conducting themselves in a more professional manner at the fair. When my children see Mr. Fireman cocked and falling all over by the band cause he's not sure where he is that poses a small problem. But thank you F.D. for all else you do for our community.
BigEddie

United States

#13 May 22, 2010
Agree with Whoa, tiredofitall wasn't nocking the FD in any way. He/she was just saying 11:45 was late for a school night.

It does seem that anyone who says anything in any way about what the FD does so at their own risk...
whoosh

Syracuse, NY

#14 May 23, 2010
I have to admit, even yesterday for the parade everyone had a bottle of beer. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? and then you go and drive the firetrucks, albeit only a short distance, but what is that telling our children.. I am serious everyone was drinking while standing around waiting for the parade.
the field days were awesome this year.. great job who ever put everything together..
however.. mr mohawk cops there is a law 'NO SMOKING IN THE PARK" YET walked by several people smoking.. do your jobs, ALL THE TIME, not half time
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#15 May 23, 2010
My post was to more than just tiredofitall's post. I get sick of hearing the field days called "white trash fest" for one thing. But since you brought up tiredofitall's post, they did knock the FD by saying "if it was any other group....". The FD work hard to make this a community function, and this year especially hard as we pushed through in two months time what usually takes 6 mos to a year to set up. Give me a break! It was one night and never before have they held the event on a school night.

As far as "drunken Mr Firefighter tripping over themselves", I did not see that at all of any of our firemen. I was there all three nights, and no I do not drink there. Not saying it did not happen, but if someone did, they should and could always bring them, along with any other person, to the attention of the police or any other fireman. The police and FD work in co-operation with each other to make the field days a safe and civil event. I know of at least one person removed for his actions, but it was not a fireman.

BigEddie, with all due respect...I think anyone posting on Topix against anyone about anything is posting at their own risk of being knocked for it. I try to be as civil as possible on here when voicing my views. Be it about the FD or other posts. Yet I am knocked for defending the FD and the field days just as much as someone is saying I am knocking them. Last time I checked, it was about voicing opinions on here. So yep...we all take a risk of being knocked.
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#16 May 23, 2010
Whoosh...the village grants a permit for the field days that does not ban smoking for the three days of the field days. The Mohawk Cops also do have the authority to bust anyone smoking in the park. It is the Herkimer Co Sherriff's who would. Strange, I know...don't really get it myself.
tiredofitall

United States

#17 May 23, 2010
Saturday night's music was not near as loud as Thursday's. If this was a decision of the organizers - Thank you! If it just happened to work out that way, that's fine too.

It seems to me people have a good time and that many of the people who come are not from Mohawk.
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#18 May 23, 2010
tiredofitall, the music fell into place based availability of bands. But all comments on the field days are taken seriously and into consideration. In fact, that is the main reason the field days were changed from August to May this year, as we could get better rides to make it a more family based event. The rides we had the last couple of years were more geared to a much younger group of kids. Not much of a midway. I know I remember looking at the midway and by dark all you heard from that end were crickets chirping. This year, it was very lively and kids of all ages were having fun.
My all time favorite memory of this year's event will be seeing the look of a child who won the Wii game system from the drawing that was held at the end of wrist band day. He was thrilled! THAT is what we like to see...families coming out and having a good time! This year we saw that in larger numbers!
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#19 May 23, 2010
Question wrote:
Just how much profit do they make after expenses? I belong to a service group and we were thinking of renting the park and doing the same thing only a little bigger. How much does it cost to rent the park by the day/weekend? We have access to some great rock concert groups.
You need to contact the Weller Library Commission for use of the park. I do not believe there are any fees for "renting" the park. You also have to get necessary permits from the village, notify the municipal commission (you will be charged for electrical usage) and you MUST do all the clean up following the event, which includes removing garbage and raking the park clean of all debris.
babycakes

Rockland, ME

#20 May 23, 2010
If you plan selling food and/or alcoholic beverages, you must also get the necessary permits/licenses for those as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Comets ADVANCE!!! 36 min Welfare Comets 3
The Comets ADVANCE!!!!!!! 38 min Welfare Comets 3
Poll Who is gonna win - Mayweather or Pacquiao? 1 hr Cedric 7
Little Falls Cheese Festival July Eleventh 2 hr Soupy Pookie Whit... 54
Too bad for you Jill D 2 hr Brian Fedarico 4
Driveway contractors 2 hr Duh 7
Hemstroughts half-moons suck now. 2 hr Retailer Mistake 14
More from around the web

Mohawk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE