Gay NY teen's harassment suit gets federal notice

Feb 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KBSL 10

The bullying by classmates and taunts of "homo" only got worse after Jacob began dyeing his hair and wearing eyeliner in eighth grade.

Comments
1 - 20 of 136 Comments Last updated Aug 29, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Jul 09

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

""As long as I can get to see him graduate high school," Sullivan said. "I think I can die happy.""

God bless you pop and your son.

It takes a real man to carry one cross let alone two.
for shame

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

good post guys, thanks for caring about this.
Ego te absolvo

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

The school, etc. should be more concerned about who molested this young boy. These maladjusted youngsters go from eyeliner to punching a lot of holes in their faces.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Those crimes should be punished.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

That teacher was abusive to him. I think the students' actions should not be tolerated. No one said they have to be friends with someone but they have no right to harass and bully another student. If that behavior goes into adulthood they could be charged criminally and/or civilly. They need to learn while they are young that harassment and crimes are not to be tolerated in our society. They can still be charged as minors for any form of violence. I hope the boy and his father will pursue criminal charges against each of those students. It is what those students so richly deserve. They should call Children and Families on the teacher.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

What an amazing father!

The school and the kids that did the bullying and their parents, should be sued, should be charged and all of them hauled into Court to impress upon everyone the importance of this issue.

Eric
Curteese

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Ego te absolvo wrote:
The school, etc. should be more concerned about who molested this young boy. These maladjusted youngsters go from eyeliner to punching a lot of holes in their faces.
Leave it to you to take a negative spin on this story. Didn't you read about the dad and his amazing support? I almost felt like crying when I read of that dad's love and support. I envy Jacob. I think he will end up just fine.
What kind of miserable person are you? All you ever do is post angry hateful spittings, like one of those poisonous lizards.
If you hate all things gay, then why do you snort around gay sites all day, like a pig digging for truffles?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I believe the damage to the boy's property and vandalism/graffiti with hate language/wishing of death on his shoes could be construed as a hate crime.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Good luck to Jacob and his family in their new town. Let's hope the people there are more responsible.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Now THAT is a PARENT !!!!!!
Short Left Index Finger

Scarborough, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Those straight savages probably watch too many episodes of The Sopranoes,and The Simpsons.
from Ilion

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I live in the town he moved to. Where he came from has always been a snotty, snooty, stuck up, judgemental little town when they have NO right to be. Actions speak louder than words, sad huh?

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I assume his mother is deceased or divorced from his father with no custody, as his father mentioned he was there alone for him.

So much for the nonsense about gays being produced by dominant mothers and absent fathers.

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

What a moving article. I like a great deal of what I read here. Force the school to pay. And I am glad that the article claims he now has friends. I am glad the attorney spoke out for understanding. And last but not least, that father is the type of parent who makes the world a better place singlehandedly.

Since: Jul 09

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

JohnInToronto wrote:
I assume his mother is deceased or divorced from his father with no custody, as his father mentioned he was there alone for him.
So much for the nonsense about gays being produced by dominant mothers and absent fathers.
Hmmm You're right. That makes a *third* cross both of them are carrying. All the more to admire and support.

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

IndyStefan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm You're right. That makes a *third* cross both of them are carrying. All the more to admire and support.
Not to mention the fact that the father is not only supportive of the son being gay, but accepts the fact that he is androgynous by nature. I wonder if anyone knows how he is doing with medical expenses, maybe some help is in order.

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

from Ilion wrote:
I live in the town he moved to. Where he came from has always been a snotty, snooty, stuck up, judgemental little town when they have NO right to be. Actions speak louder than words, sad huh?
Why do you think they are like that? Are they dominated by any particular religious or ethnic group?

Since: Dec 09

Mohawk

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Judged:

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think they are like that? Are they dominated by any particular religious or ethnic group?
No, it is just the typical lower middle to lower class clique type environment. Many people have never lived anywhere else. The school district is 99% white. God forbid if a non White Anglo Saxon family moves in town. The general intolerance of any one who doesn't drive a pick up truck, play football, drink beer, do chew, and isn't a "good ol boy" is prevalent. Those who aren't them gets harassed. There is no leeway given to someone with a different life style or is a different.

I know. I live there. It's embarrassing and disgusting.
from Ilion

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

I'm sorry Silver Rav.... didn't mean to insult everyone from Mohawk, I am just so damned pissed at this whole farce. But I have always found the attitude of LOTS of Mohawk residents to be as I described above. I also have met some genuinely nice Mohicans.

Now one poster from here , although his ISP is Rochester, is trying to stir this crap up on the Ilion Forum. I feel he/she is trying to inflame and prejudice the Ilion Community against Jacob and re-victimize him there. What to do? Turn it in?? Its sad.

Perhaps the masses can post there as well? The locals seem to shy away from the threads that have caught the nation's attention... just a thought.

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

SilverRAV4 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is just the typical lower middle to lower class clique type environment. Many people have never lived anywhere else. The school district is 99% white. God forbid if a non White Anglo Saxon family moves in town. The general intolerance of any one who doesn't drive a pick up truck, play football, drink beer, do chew, and isn't a "good ol boy" is prevalent. Those who aren't them gets harassed. There is no leeway given to someone with a different life style or is a different.
I know. I live there. It's embarrassing and disgusting.
Actually, it is interesting that small towns not far from another can differ. I have a friend who grew up in a small town within 50 miles driving distance from yours (to protect his privacy I will not say which town) who actually came out in high school 35 years ago and had relatively few issues. One difference, however, is that he is very masculine in appearance and behaviour.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Mohawk Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mohawk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••