Why has the village declared war on t...

Why has the village declared war on trees?

Posted in the Mohawk Forum

tiredofitall

Syracuse, NY

#1 Feb 22, 2012
Although this should be directed at the mayor, board, and municipal commission - why has the village of Mohawk declared war on trees?

Over the past two years it seems they've literally taken down dozens without any attempt to plant new ones.

The maples across from the school that have been butchered had no power lines near them and provided shade for parents and kids during pop warner, t-ball, girls softball, and football.
lifelong resident

New York, NY

#2 Feb 22, 2012
we totally agree, tree cutting is slowly but surely ruining the beauty of the village.

trees are cut down (often for no obvious reason) and never replaced. look at center street, north st., marshall ave and the streets west of and around the high school -- all used to be beautifully leafy. now all or many of the trees are gone.

look at orchard street -- until about three years ago it was lined with beautiful old trees. every single one of them was cut down and not replaced.

you're exactly right, dozens if not 100+ of trees have been cut down in Mohawk and i don't think i've seen a single new one planted -- not by the village!

it's time for residents to communicate to village leaders that we do not want a barren treeless leafless village! the time is way overdue for the village to start planting trees and beautify the town. trees clean the air, reduce heat in the summer, enhance property values and provide habitat for wildlife.

Wake up Village Board !
yeah

New York, NY

#3 Feb 22, 2012
You should go to a board meeting & voice your concerns to find out the reasoning for cutting down and not replacing them. I think there is a board meeting on Mon the 27th.
Trying to Keep Up

Syracuse, NY

#4 Feb 22, 2012
I think they're just trying to keep up with all the Village merchants by trying to make the area as ugly and unwelcoming as possible.

Every business/building owner in the Village of Mohawk needs to spruce up their store-fronts, add some window boxes, a fresh coat of paint and remove all the tacky signage. The investment would be minimal but the return on investment could be substantial.

Mohawk could be a quaint, little country village that attracts all those visitors that would rather pass through on their way to Cooperstown than stop in a run down, dirty place. Really sad that these people don't have a little more pride in their town. The best looking place is Smokers Choice, the one business that no one wanted to come here...ironic.
lifelong resident

New York, NY

#5 Feb 22, 2012
Trying to Keep Up wrote:
I think they're just trying to keep up with all the Village merchants by trying to make the area as ugly and unwelcoming as possible.
Every business/building owner in the Village of Mohawk needs to spruce up their store-fronts, add some window boxes, a fresh coat of paint and remove all the tacky signage. The investment would be minimal but the return on investment could be substantial.
Mohawk could be a quaint, little country village that attracts all those visitors that would rather pass through on their way to Cooperstown than stop in a run down, dirty place. Really sad that these people don't have a little more pride in their town. The best looking place is Smokers Choice, the one business that no one wanted to come here...ironic.
That is very true as well. Just walk down the sidewalk by Paesano Pizza Doggy Salon Robinson Bros.... every one of those storefronts is dirty ... faded cracked peeling paint ... don't people take pride in their properties or their businesses?

How do they expect customers to feel warm and welcome when the facade is in disgraceful disrepair, and owners are too lazy to even lift a paint brush??

And look at that whole Main st. "strip" ... not a single tree. Why not? Ugly.

And what is the Mayor doing besides riding out the 4 yr term she finagled? Or the Village Board? Someone needs to declare war on ugliness and launch a Beautify Mohawk Campaign! The people of the community would come together to support it just like the old-fashioned barn raising we used to have back in the good old days.

** Tree planting

** Main Street spruce-up / painting
yeah

New York, NY

#6 Feb 23, 2012
You're in luck. The 4 year term that the mayor "finagled" is up this year & also a trustee position. Here's your opportunity to run for either & put your ideas into motion.
username1

United States

#7 Feb 23, 2012
finally the village is doing something about the tree problem. Ive been saying this for years! Trees outnumber humans 100 to 1!! if we dont do something soon trees are going to take over the world!
hahaha

New York, NY

#9 Feb 24, 2012
Little johnny can't hang out under "the smoking tree" anymore, so it looks like mommy and daddy will have to work since they won't be able to sue the village when the damn thing falls down.
mkwaz

United States

#10 Feb 25, 2012
yeah wrote:
You're in luck. The 4 year term that the mayor "finagled" is up this year & also a trustee position. Here's your opportunity to run for either & put your ideas into motion.
LEO,come back,Mr. Kinville we realy miss you

we want LEO
employee

New York, NY

#11 Mar 10, 2012
If you think you are getting rid of the mayor lots of luck. she will find some way to get in again no matter what the people want. she just got firemen of the year at the fire dept banquet. what a joke. I was always told that this was given to a person that did a outstanding job. all she does is show up and do fire police. she can not operate the trucks or fight the fires. she is a joke. her husband ( number 3) use to be a easy going guy but since he has got with her his attitude is gotten very bad.
I love my Mohawk

Watertown, NY

#12 Mar 15, 2012
I believe most of the trees cut down were dead, dying or severely rotten. I was told, as I did not see it myself, that the “smoking tree” was all rotten in the center. Now I will give my thoughts on the comments on the Mayor. If you don’t care for the Mayor or the actions of the Village board, pleas run for the positions that will be up for election. Any blowhard can sit back and blow steam and we all have the right to do so, but a REAL concerned citizen, will run for office. If you can’t, at least become a participating resident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LYING area cops always making excuses demanding... 5 min Crackatuccipassolina 2
The MOTHER brags"I TOLD YOU THATS WHAT IT WAS" 7 min No lady 7
74 mph, No seat belt, No lights and the other d... 12 min Duh 34
who are the hottest hookers in Utica? (Jan '09) 12 min Ex who knows 7
News Utica rap battle ends with shots fired, a throw... (May '14) 14 min Honketdoorion 12
Zip Line From Adirondack Building to Ocean Blue 18 min Management 1
Alana Dutcher 45 min haggg alert 2

Mohawk Jobs

Personal Finance

Mohawk Mortgages