Mohawk athletics
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justwondering

New York, NY

#1 Jul 10, 2009
Thinking of moving to the district and was just wondering about the athletics program.... I have a son that would be involved with modified soccer, son invovled with football, and a daughter with JV soccer. All three basketball, and baseball for the boys in the spring. Wondering about coaching staff, etc. I saw that the boys varsity soccer did well last year..wondered how it is coming up from modified level. Thanks!
hello

Fayetteville, NY

#2 Jul 14, 2009
i honestly don't know if there even will be modified boys soccer this year. No one knows if there are enough kids signed up. There is talk of merging them with herkimer modified because i believe they're in the same situation. If he's in ninth grade he can always try out for varsity, too.

Boys basketball looks like it will be decent for at least several more years and they have a coach that will stay around so they have stability. Girls basketball is the same way.

I don't know much about baseball, but from what i've heard the coach is dedicated and cares about how the team does.
justwondering

Nedrow, NY

#3 Jul 14, 2009
hello wrote:
i honestly don't know if there even will be modified boys soccer this year. No one knows if there are enough kids signed up. There is talk of merging them with herkimer modified because i believe they're in the same situation. If he's in ninth grade he can always try out for varsity, too.
Boys basketball looks like it will be decent for at least several more years and they have a coach that will stay around so they have stability.
Girls basketball is the same way.
I don't know much about baseball, but from what i've heard the coach is dedicated and cares about how the team does.
Thanks for the input! I'm suprised that there aren't many boys doing modified soccer. Will the program be too big if they merge? Do you know if it would end up being a Herkimer team or Mohawk? Any idea about the coaching from either district? Thanks again!!
hello

Fayetteville, NY

#4 Jul 14, 2009
I don't know who it would be and having a field isn't a deciding factor because neither school does. Both varsity teams are at HCCC. I'd assume the coaches would work together. It's just a rumor, so who knows what will happen. It's all up in the air.
The Professor

AOL

#5 Jul 14, 2009
justwondering wrote:
Thinking of moving to the district and was just wondering about the athletics program.... I have a son that would be involved with modified soccer, son invovled with football, and a daughter with JV soccer. All three basketball, and baseball for the boys in the spring. Wondering about coaching staff, etc. I saw that the boys varsity soccer did well last year..wondered how it is coming up from modified level. Thanks!
Nice to see that academics takes priority.
Herk

AOL

#6 Jul 14, 2009
The VERY 1st thing I would look at would be the New York State Test scores and how Mohawk compares to other local schools. Can they offer what kids need to go to a "good college"?--NOT! If your kids are going to be professional athletes, will they be recruited from Mohawk--NOT! Is there any culture or arts outlets for them--NOT!Just take a ride around town and look at the kids. If you have a choice and any money at all...seek a better school. Around here, New Hartford would be a good place to start.
justwondering

New York, NY

#7 Jul 14, 2009
The Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see that academics takes priority.
Already looked into the academics part of it and had heard some things, just wanted to know about athletics as well for an overall comparison, so thank you for your concern about priorities. As my name suggestsÂ…. I am just wondering, why must you be so judgmental?
justwondering

New York, NY

#8 Jul 14, 2009
Herk wrote:
The VERY 1st thing I would look at would be the New York State Test scores and how Mohawk compares to other local schools. Can they offer what kids need to go to a "good college"?--NOT! If your kids are going to be professional athletes, will they be recruited from Mohawk--NOT! Is there any culture or arts outlets for them--NOT!Just take a ride around town and look at the kids. If you have a choice and any money at all...seek a better school. Around here, New Hartford would be a good place to start.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate the feed back.:)
Herk

AOL

#9 Jul 14, 2009
My comments are out of concern for your children. They deserve the very best education that you can provide for them. Mohawk is ok but cannot provide the academic or athletic choices that bigger schools can help them compete in. Academics do not seems to be a priority for Mohawk residents and the level of education of the populous reflects that in the town. I attended my nephew's graduation and it looked more like people were going to a picnic than the respect that these kids who worked so hard deserved. I understand 9 did not graduate and that reflects on the teachers, school and community. I just feel strongly that you seem very concerned for your kids and as a result of your concern, you would want them to have the best like at a New Hartford or larger school where they can offer them that stimulous. Good luck!
PEACEMAKER

Syracuse, NY

#10 Jul 15, 2009
HERK, i will give you that about the mohawk school dist. im from mohawk can stand caputo, or vetter they both should be gone with out a dout.i have two kids in school and they ask me if they can go to herkimer school. as far as coaches in school judd,upson i belive they are very good.
opinion

New York, NY

#11 Jul 16, 2009
Please know that as an alumni from Mohawk within the last 10 years, I feel confident that I received a good educational experience both academically and athletically. I think if your children are willing to put in the effort to excel academically, they will do just fine. I do agree that there are some teachers/administrators that may not be the best but you will find that in even the best districts.
hmm

Fayetteville, NY

#12 Jul 16, 2009
Not everyone that goes to mohawk drops out or barely scrapes by at HCCC. In the last three graduating classes, this recently graduated class included, there have been two students to get accepted to Ivy League schools. The valedictorian this year is going to Princeton (and could have gone to any of the others), and the valedictorian from 2007 ago is currently at Cornell. Yes, mohawk doesn't have outstanding stats, but people certainly can and do succeed there.
BigEddie

Syracuse, NY

#13 Jul 17, 2009
Hey - Herk,

You say the "teachers, school, and community" failed the 9 who did not graduate. Don't you think the parents should be responsible party #1? And the students themselves responsible party #2?

Mohawk graduates have and continue to attend top colleges. Don't slam the village by what you think you see. My experiences with teachers and adminstration has so far been positive.
Herk

AOL

#14 Jul 17, 2009
Big Ed-I did not say that the teachers, school and community failed the 9, I said it "reflects" badly on them which to claify meant, makes them (the adults) look badly in the public eye. Agreed, the students are 100% to blame for their inability to apply themselves. Accountability is the key and I don't think there is enough of that being applied in Mohawk. You are only as strong as your leader --be it principal, teacher, etc. Yes, there are students who excel when they get into college and do they come back here--NO. If you ask the majority of them about the guidance they received in school they will probably tell you there was a lack of it and that probably their parents did the most to encourage and support them. Many of them will also tell you that they educated themselves and that there were not enough course offerings to expose them to what they met as competition in college. Alas, prehaps we should consider consolidation.
Southsider

Hagerstown, MD

#15 Jul 17, 2009
The best thing you could do for your children is move out of the area, preferably out of New York.
I moved my Family 10 years ago out of Herkimer(OUT OF STATE) and we ( meaning my wife and kids) never regret the decision......

Death Valley has nothing to offer the young folks
a youth from mohawk ny

Fishers, NY

#16 Oct 17, 2009
Herk wrote:
thats not even cool to say you are just putting the kids down more no wounder why they dont have enuff people to have modifid becaus epeople like you are allways putting them down who cares if there not good at least there not sitting around doing nothig and getting fat people like you discust me
Huh in Ilion

West Monroe, NY

#17 Oct 18, 2009
a youth from mohawk ny wrote:
<quoted text>
thats not even cool to say you are just putting the kids down more no wounder why they dont have enuff people to have modifid becaus epeople like you are allways putting them down who cares if there not good at least there not sitting around doing nothig and getting fat people like you discust me
Please, if you are going to post a comment in support of getting an education in the Mohawk School system, at least do it intelligently. Coming on here and sounding (and spelling) like an idiot is not helping at all. Really makes me glad my children did not go there.
Wow

AOL

#18 Oct 18, 2009
a youth from mohawk ny wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! A stellar example of the quality education students receive in Mohawk! They must have a great language arts program there. Now, if only they could get their athletics program up to this exemplary level of performance.
the youth of mohawk

Clayton, NY

#21 Oct 27, 2009
Ya know wat f*** u guys,u guys disgust me,i am an honor student that is going to hopefully graduate with honors,and for an adult like u people to be putting down a teenager like that shows what kind of people u really are,and im sure that reflects on your children,maybe you should think about what you say because i could end up hurting someone because an adult put them down.and ya know what,i have been put down my entire life,i have never been told i could do anything succesful in my life and look at me now,98.7 gpa and i have never once been supported,so im asking to please start to ENCOURAGE people who dont have the best and tell them they can do it,i could have sure used it,maybe i wouldnt have failed 8th if had some support,and now im excelling because of my determination because 1 teacher told me i can do it. maybe it would help with ur kids
Hmmmm

Schenectady, NY

#22 Oct 27, 2009
Southsider wrote:
The best thing you could do for your children is move out of the area, preferably out of New York.
I moved my Family 10 years ago out of Herkimer(OUT OF STATE) and we ( meaning my wife and kids) never regret the decision......
Death Valley has nothing to offer the young folks
Really? You moved out of state and got on with your big bad life, but you care enough to stay connected with the local Topix forum? Something doesn't add up here... My guess is that you just got back from shopping at Hannaford in Herkimer. But nice show.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheaters 3 min Tammy sharpe 38
WOW Hannaford is expensive! (Dec '11) 12 min Grocery Shopper 71
hottest MILF in herkimer? (Oct '10) 13 min biggest ho 31
beggers on mohawks st 34 min Wow 3
Doyle Hardware 38 min Donald Trump 2
Thank You 49 min Tom 1
Bummer Joday running for School Board 1 hr blah 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mohawk Mortgages