Deadbeat dad gets 2-year prison sentence

Deadbeat dad gets 2-year prison sentence

There are 146 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Deadbeat dad gets 2-year prison sentence. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

An Akron man was sentenced to two years in prison for two counts of criminal non-support, the Summit County prosecutor's office said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Leprdess

Mansfield, OH

#1 Mar 21, 2008
Shame - They send folks to prison for non-payment of child support but do nothing for those who are non paying of spousal support. Ohio laws need to change.
JUST AN OBSERVER

Akron, OH

#2 Mar 21, 2008
ONE MIGHT THINK A 6, 10 AND 12 YEAR OLD NEED A FATHER. MY THOUGHTS ALSO -BUT, HEY, WAIT A MINUTE...MY GUESS IS A PRE-SENTENCE INVESTIGATION REVEALED THIS TO BE AN INACTIVE FATHER. CHILDREN NEED A FATHER AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT. HOPE YOU ENJOY ALL 730 DAYS.
Akronite

Louisville, KY

#3 Mar 21, 2008
Spousal support is paid to a person who for the majority can fend for themselves. Children cannot.
cfo

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#4 Mar 21, 2008
Leprdess wrote:
Shame - They send folks to prison for non-payment of child support but do nothing for those who are non paying of spousal support. Ohio laws need to change.
Does anyone even get spousal support anymore?? Everyone I know who's going through divorce hasn't been able to get support.
Aixl

Stow, OH

#5 Mar 21, 2008
1) This guy makes those of us that DO pay our child support in full and on time look bad!!

2) When I got divorced, the judge looked at her and said "You have two arms and two legs. You can work. No spousal support!!"
Norka

Stow, OH

#7 Mar 21, 2008
this guy wont care about doing time its a relief for him know he wont have to keep looking over his shoulder to see if the law is coming for him and we still get to as tax payers and working people still get to foot the bill. They dont get enough of these dead beat dads off the street.
How many yrs did he go without paying and how many yrs do the other,s go before they are sent away or for that even caught, we need to build a special place just for the dead beat dads and give them the same as they gave there kids nothing, but are bleeding heart society wont have it.
Tiffiny

Canton, OH

#8 Mar 21, 2008
i hope this happens to my childs father he neither pays or has anything to do with my child...

people need to take responsability for their actions..
Akron Mom

San Francisco, CA

#9 Mar 21, 2008
Tiffiny wrote:
i hope this happens to my childs father he neither pays or has anything to do with my child...
you should have been thinking abuot that before you slept with him dummy
Truth Speaker

United States

#10 Mar 21, 2008
Leprdess wrote:
Actually the laws DO NOT need to change. What have you done to enforce your court order?
Truth Speaker

United States

#11 Mar 21, 2008
Tiffiny wrote:
One is not legally required/obligated to "have anything to do with their child."
Just a suggestion

Medina, OH

#12 Mar 21, 2008
Now who pays for the child support? Don't get me wrong I don't like dead beats either but now he doesn't have any obligation at all. The children, and usually the parent with custody (yes, there are also dead beat mothers out there)end up on public support. They need to put the deadbeats to work picking up garbage or something and pay them a bit which would then be sent to child support. At least we (the taxpapers) would see something in return for our money.
Timtoast

Cleveland, OH

#13 Mar 21, 2008
But who is the joke really on? Taxpayers will pay an additional $80,000.00 just to keep him in jail for that 2 year period. The kids will probably be on welfare, no problem right? If his record is an indication of the future, taxpayers will be paying again. When people allow the judges to pass this type of sentence without public outcry they deserve every tax raise they get. Time to change the laws to reflect reality. The sentence should of been to a work program, he works he pays, he pays for the monitoring and all expenses.
hummm

Glasgow, KY

#14 Mar 21, 2008
my ? is.. sending a man or woman to jail for not paying child support ,how can they get a job by sitting in a cell? if u stop and think of it,us ones that fight or wish they was in jail for not helping u take care of you's child,(and they should,) but not only are u takeing care of u and his(or)her kids but u are also taking care of him(or)her in jail,your taxes is paying for him to sitt all day in a cell and get three square meals aday,shower etc. and dont have to worry if he(or)her has the money to get food or pay bills.and plus have all the worry's of getting all this takeing care in order for you's child be taken care of..so ? is..is it really a good thing they go to jail? yes i understand they shouldn't be aloud to do the same thing out of jail because the can come and go as the please and still not worry about paying child support,i think our gov. should give them a job and take out the child support and them the gov should take out their support for taken care of them...i never understood that law,send a person to jail for not given an ex money. so they can take care of their,child, the way i see it,it's also your child so u should automatic make sure your child is been takeing care of with out his(or)her money.u should never make a child feel that they are only worth money to u.that child loves both their parents,and the truth is it's the child that pay's in the long run.u seems to forget those little baby's we made togather,and how much u both love them.that they become $$$.ask ur kids how they feel about it all...
Timtoast

Cleveland, OH

#15 Mar 21, 2008
In the state of Ohio, our Department published the figure of $36,000 a year ( or $98.63 per day) to incarcerate a felon within the system.

Sorry it is only $72,000 for the 2 years! but what about the court costs and other expenses?
May

Sheffield Lake, OH

#16 Mar 21, 2008
Leprdess wrote:
Sousal suport... They should get a Job... Quit mooching. The kids should be taken care of till 18 then told to get a job too.
patrick7

United States

#17 Mar 21, 2008
<quote>you should have been thinking about that before you slept with him dummy<quote>

As a man, I would call that remark very unfair. rarely is the dating or courtship phase enough to truly know if a person will live up to their responsibility. you should know better than that.
joy

Orrville, OH

#18 Mar 21, 2008
i have a son in law in wayne county who hasnt held a steady hob in the past 4 yrs hes been married to my daughter 7 had 2 children with her & we just found out that he also had & theyve proven by dna tests 3 other children & theyre still letting him out there not working or doing anything. she works double shifts & has to pay a sitter cause hes even to laxy to watch his own kids and his mother won't even help out but the court dont do anything just let him sit at home I think this county should train wayne county how to handle some deadbeat dads who have 8 kids and just keep running around having more for the tax payers tpo pay for
jesse jackson

Gulfport, MS

#20 Mar 21, 2008
yeah, that should get the kids alot of support coming in...cosgrove belongs in prison

no wonder so americans will have a prison record before they die...what a backward thinking idiot
JMO

Avon Lake, OH

#21 Mar 21, 2008
joy wrote:
i have a son in law in wayne county who hasnt held a steady hob in the past 4 yrs hes been married to my daughter 7 had 2 children with her & we just found out that he also had & theyve proven by dna tests 3 other children & theyre still letting him out there not working or doing anything. she works double shifts & has to pay a sitter cause hes even to laxy to watch his own kids and his mother won't even help out but the court dont do anything just let him sit at home I think this county should train wayne county how to handle some deadbeat dads who have 8 kids and just keep running around having more for the tax payers tpo pay for
Well Joy congratulations you have succesfully raised a dumbass daughter. If she is still married to him and lets him sit around all day while she works double shifts then she really needs to open her eyes and give him the boot!
jesse jackson

Gulfport, MS

#22 Mar 21, 2008
these folks should be sentenced to state highway and other work with the money going nearly entirely to pay off the support debt...we can house them together and make it like a prison, with the only money debted that isn't for the debt being for their expenses...we get labor, the kids get support, and they pay for incarceration for whatever length they are sent there---and for this guy, that would be however long it took him to get even

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mogadore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stalker Sun Real PA Payne 1
the music thread (Apr '12) Aug 11 Musikologist 21
News Corrupt former Summit County councilwoman sente... Aug 6 Mr Shhh 1
News Summit County Offers New Safe Zone for Internet... Jul 30 Bulldog Drummond 1
News Summit County sheriff's deputy charged with rap... Jul 27 Hank Snow 1
News Medina County revenues break pre-recession record (Jan '17) Jul 22 Whitey 2
Naughty Home Remodeler Jul 21 Anonymous 1

Mogadore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mogadore Mortgages