Scott Peterson appeals death sentence to California Supreme Court

Eight years after he was convicted for the murders of his wife and unborn son, Scott Peterson has appealed his death sentence to the California Supreme Court. Full Story

“I'm sick of this shyt”

Since: Mar 11

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

#1 Jul 7, 2012
Is Life without parole better? Be a man and choose firing squad.
Noob

Höslwang, Germany

#2 Jul 7, 2012
JacobMarley wrote:
Is Life without parole better? Be a man and choose firing squad.
That's not the question. The jury chose death penalty during the penalty phase. In addition, death penalty appeals are an AUTOMATIC review to find out if technical mistakes were made in the original court proceedings to ensure every defendant got a fair trial - to protect citizens from the arbitrary exercise of authority. That's the core difference between a state applying the rule of law and a totalitarian rule.
Wikipedia wrote:
If a defendant is sentenced to death at the trial level, the case then goes into a direct review.[70] The direct review process is a typical legal appeal. An appellate court examines the record of evidence presented in the trial court and the law that the lower court applied and decides whether the decision was legally sound or not.[71] Direct review of a capital sentencing hearing will result in one of three outcomes. If the appellate court finds that no significant legal errors occurred in the capital sentencing hearing, the appellate court will affirm the judgment, or let the sentence stand.[70] If the appellate court finds that significant legal errors did occur, then it will reverse the judgment, or nullify the sentence and order a new capital sentencing hearing.[72] Lastly, if the appellate court finds that no reasonable juror could find the defendant eligible for the death penalty, a rarity, then it will order the defendant acquitted, or not guilty, of the crime for which he/she was given the death penalty, and order him sentenced to the next most severe punishment for which the offense is eligible.[72] About 60 percent survive the process of direct review intact.[73]
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...
killhimslowly

Yonkers, NY

#3 Jul 13, 2012
He'll lose his automatic appeal and all the ones thereafter.
nancmac

Plymouth, MN

#5 Aug 8, 2012
He did it killed his own flesh&blood&wife. Hope he rots in hell wlile seeing how his son suffered/ over&over&over again evil sick monster
gnarleneisafool

Bedford, NY

#6 Aug 10, 2012
nancmac wrote:
He did it killed his own flesh&blood&wife. Hope he rots in hell wlile seeing how his son suffered/ over&over&over again evil sick monster
I agree.
mobbed

United States

#7 Sep 8, 2012
Wasn't there talk about how he was being controlled by the mob? Isn't his mom still alive and that's the reason hes waiting until she passes so he can tell his story and the mob cannot hurt any other females in his family? I was reading he was involved with drugs and was fronting them for a mob and when he tried to get out, this trajic event happened and had to take the fall for it and they threatened his moms life so he took the fall for everything. Sounds stupid but just wondering if anyone else heard something similar...
Michigan

Brighton, MI

#8 Sep 17, 2012
mobbed wrote:
Wasn't there talk about how he was being controlled by the mob? Isn't his mom still alive and that's the reason hes waiting until she passes so he can tell his story and the mob cannot hurt any other females in his family? I was reading he was involved with drugs and was fronting them for a mob and when he tried to get out, this trajic event happened and had to take the fall for it and they threatened his moms life so he took the fall for everything. Sounds stupid but just wondering if anyone else heard something similar...
A simple question........Are you nuts?
your kidding

Klamath Falls, OR

#9 Nov 9, 2012
killhimslowly wrote:
He'll lose his automatic appeal and all the ones thereafter.
When a da decides to take the death sentence off the table it is often as in the Edwin R Hall case in KS a sign of weakness in the case. I doubt very much if Peterson would ever take such a deal.
your kidding

Klamath Falls, OR

#10 Nov 9, 2012
mobbed wrote:
Just wondering. What would be the motive for anyone in orginized crime to hush Scott Petterson up? But I do think a reversal would make many a tv celeb look bad and might cost rattings.$$$ might be one great motive.

ps MI Ain't that where Nancy Grace hails from? A reversal of Scott's conviction sure would cost Nancy's owners aka a mob a lot of money

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Modesto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Available for dating Bachelorette (Dec '13) 14 hr KeS 2
New OAKDALE Fema Concentration camps being buil... (Nov '08) Thu classified1234 12
Review: A & A Temporary Fencing (Jun '14) Dec 18 Matt Dalek 2
Review: Charlie's Market Dec 17 hyggbnn 1
Hearing aids (Dec '13) Dec 12 Pavlos Lombardi 4
Obamaa s Action on Immigration Praised in Modesto Dec 3 stell88 1
Bodies found in burned car (Sep '11) Nov 25 Ugiftedgirl 36
Modesto Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Modesto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Modesto News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Modesto