Major drug bust frees Selma neighborhood

SELMA-Twelve suspected drug dealers, part of what prosecutors called the "St. Phillips Boys" street gang, were arrested and two more were sought Wednesday after an early morning sweep through a neighborhood ... Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Sharon

United States

#1 Aug 8, 2006
All of the people involved in the bust in Selma, Alabama were not hard core criminals. It is hard for Black men to find jobs and become productive citizens. The system is failing our black men and something besides locking them up needs to be done. The Mayor and others ( Chief of Police) in Selma should be trying to make a difference instead of being a part of the problem
Khalif

Houston, TX

#2 Aug 15, 2006
Sharon, i disagree with you. The system is not failing and has not failed our Black men. They are failing themselves. I attended school in Selma (Knox,Payne,Hudson,SELMA UNIV.-PROUD). My daughter was valedictorian at McRae-Gaines, she is now in pharmacy school(Xavier-Graudation 2008). My son attended McRAe-Gaines he is 16 and will graduate 2007-Hasting High School.Why don't these Black Men do something for them selves-go to school(the govt. have plenty of free money or loans), leave Selma and get a job. Why is it so hard for people to leave Selma and get a job and become productive citizens?
My neice a single mom left Selma and now have 2-jobs and attending school. When are we going to stop blaming the "White Man"? Jim S. is gone George W. is gone. All of the people involved in the bust may not have been hard core criminals but they are/were a part of the problem.
chris

AOL

#3 Nov 20, 2006
i am a black male live in selma, i think the mayor needs to help our people instead of critizing them its hard for black men in selma theres no jobs. black males are not going to school because school is for future preference we have to have money to survive these days. patients is not part of our society today we feel that the quicker we get money the better will be. all them involve in that bust has kids and they was doing what they had to do to help there kids and thereselves. if there where more jobs in selma there will less crimes. selma is a racism town its not what u know its who u know to get a job in selma.
Sharon Selma Alabama

United States

#4 Apr 11, 2007
The Judicial System is very messed up. Arresting some of those young men did not and will not solve the problem. The main individuals were not even touched. That was just a Band Aid effect and a way to yet again jail more of our black men. Let's be real we all need money to survive and not all of us are able to obtain it without a job or some support. Face it we never know what some of our people in need will due and I do blame it on society. Some African Americans have the ability to get on their feet, but we do not look down to pull up our fellow man. The white race has always had a way made legally or illegally. Black people have always had a hard time. Let's not forget where we came from. People get less years for killing each other and abuseing young children than they do for drugs. We do live in a backwards society.
lil mel

Tallassee, AL

#5 Jul 18, 2007
to khalif you are full of BS ,,, you don't have to put selma down like its a toliet and you going to get flushed down the drane
Big D from Selma

Dothan, AL

#6 Aug 8, 2007
I was born and raised in Selma and I love Selma, it's my home regardless of where I lay my head. Unemployed after Craig closed, I moved my wife and two infant children out of Selma in 1979.
I am a white male and nobody has ever given me anything. I work fifty-five to sixty hour weeks for forty hour salary and I have done that as long as I can remember.
I get so tired of hearing that black people are so abused and being held down by whitey. That is a load for horse crap. Drugs and crime are a choice of those that just plane don't want to start at the bottom and work hard to climb up and out. It has taken me thirty-three years of doing the same job to get me where I am.
I get over $900 a month taken out of my check to help keep a lot of people on the porch waiting on the mailman, and that pisses me off. The Bible says; a man that doesn't work don't deserve to eat. Let them starve. You do and or sell drugs, you need to be in jail. The black community needs to get a hold of whats going on, or they will leave us no choice but to deal with it.
Rant over.
Concerned Citizen

Tallassee, AL

#7 Aug 17, 2007
A criminal is one who breaks the law, right? If someone chooses to find a shortcut then I believe there are consequences to that shortcut in life. No matter if you are black, white, green or yellow.
When are people going to stop looking at the color of another's skin long enough to accept the fat that there are good and bad people in every race? I personally know people from the white race that have or do sell drugs and I also know white people that work for every thing that they have, Yet I also know black people that have worked for every thing that they have and also several that have opted for a shortcut and are now confined because they chose an illegal way to pay their bills.
In order for the society in Selma to stop being so racist I believe it starts with each and every one of us first. When is the last time you stopped to help someone of the opposite color of yourself? I think that people need to stop placing blame on someone else and take responsibility for their own actions.
Has anyone noticed that while MANY people of both races have sit to bitch and complain about no jobs, there has been a raise in the community of Mexicans that have come into our town? So if there were no jobs- then how could they survive?
People need to rid themselves of those chips on their shoulders and get a job and quit living on the system. Where is the pride that goes with actually working for what you get instead of waiting on a check every month?
Yes, criminals were arrested and maybe a few learned their lesson and then some still have not.But STOP blaming others and admit that if you do the crime then you have to pay the price.
LATRESA MURPHY

Montgomery, AL

#8 Dec 21, 2009
Sharon wrote:
All of the people involved in the bust in Selma, Alabama were not hard core criminals. It is hard for Black men to find jobs and become productive citizens. The system is failing our black men and something besides locking them up needs to be done. The Mayor and others ( Chief of Police) in Selma should be trying to make a difference instead of being a part of the problem
I COULDNT AGREE MORE. IT SEEMS LIKE THE ONLY THING THE POLICE IN SELMA ARE CONCERNED WITH IS LOCKING PEOPLE UP AND ITS A DAMN SHAME. I LIVED IN SELMA MOSTLY ALL MY LIFE AND THERE ARE NO JOBS HERE AND THAT MAKES IT HARDER ON OUR BLACK MEN. NOBODY IS TRYING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE LOW EMPLOYMENT RATE HERE, SO WHAT IS A MAN TO DO. IM NOT SAYING SELLING DRUGS IS RIGHT, BUT YOU CANT BLAME A PERSON WHEN THEY DO BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS HERE. WE HAVE A SORRY ASS MAYOR AND AN EVEN MORE SORRY ASS POLICE FORCE WHO DO MORE CROOKED SHIT THAN THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SELL DRUGS.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Dec 21, 2009
welllll, dear heart, if you want businesses to come to Selma and start hiring people, perhaps you should have a talk with some of yo civil rights lawyers...

businesses will not hire blacks if there is a rabid dog civil rights lawyer sitting there just itching for some reason to bring suit...

and while you're at it, talk to yo black brothers and tell them to arrive at work a few minutes EARLY, instead of 10 minutes late!!!

Oh, and let's not forget...perhaps if they didn't steal the place blind, that might help the owners hire more blacks...

Last but not least, let's work on our PEOPLE SKILLS!!! You can go to Prattville and be served COURTEOUSLY and CHEERFULLY...here in Selma, you're greeted, seated and served by a sullen employee who, as often as not, doesn't speak as good English as the girls at the Chinese restaurant!!!!

Of course, when you don't tip them, it's cause "you be prejudah"...

Little things like that cause businesses to close down and move out of Selma...
Selma

United States

#10 Dec 21, 2009
Why does everyone always say"It's not the black man's fault" YES IT IS.

Other people have loss their job OR can't find one and THEY do not jump to stealing and drugs.

Other races can have communities without all the crime(even poor communities)

Why is it crime is always the highest in the black part of any community? Because it is part of their upbring. Black kids today are taught that everything BAD is someone elses fault. No education--->white fault. No job--->whites fault. Crime---> whites fault.

WHEN DOES THE BLACK COMMUNITY CLAIM RESPONIBLIY FOR DESTROYING THEMSELVES

Location hidden

#11 Dec 22, 2009
I'm a racist. I admit it. At least I'm honest.

But to be completely up front with you, I don't blame the black man, not really. It really isn't his fault.

Look at him in his native habitat. When he was discovered by the first white explorers, he lived more or less like the other animals. At the mercy of the environment. No written language. When he died, the only thing he left behind was his bones.

During the colonial era, the hated white built up infrastructure, such as electric lights, running water, paved roads, garbage pickup, sewers, etc., but the era of the hated white colonial occupation ended after 1950 or so, and shortly after the hated white man left, so did the infrastructure.

Let's examine Rhodesia / Zimbabwe, for example. In 1980, Robert Mugabe defeated Joshua Nkomo. Under British supervision, the hated white PM, Ian Smith, turned over the reins of government to Rhodesia's first African PM. At this point, typical African income, longevity, education and healthcare were the best in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I know this because I was there.

Now, roughly 30 years later, the African has returned to the condition in which he was discovered by the first white explorers. Longevity, healthcare, income and education are such that the average Zimbabwean would have to move UP in life if he wanted to be classified 3rd world!!! Average life expectancy about 37 years. Ain't "freedom" grand?

You see what happens to the African when he is "freed" from the "heavy hand" of the "oppressive" white man.

Well, wasn't it about 30 years ago, give or take, that the poor, downtrodden sons of slaves were "freed" from the oppression of the sons of slave-owners?

Tit for tat, I say. 6 of 1, half dozen of another. Remove the influence of the "hated" white man, and the African ALWAYS returns to the stone age existence which is his natural condition.

It's not their fault that blacks are in such a bad fix, compared to whites and asians and jews and hispanics and indians. It's their natural condition.
JustTheDude

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2009
RussFromSelma wrote: "I'm a racist."

Finally something I'll agree with you on.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 27, 2009
JustTheDude wrote:
RussFromSelma wrote: "I'm a racist."
Finally something I'll agree with you on.
Okay, so we agree.

Now, let's get to the real HEART of the matter.

Tell me just one logical and provable fallacy in the practice of racism.

Oh, to be sure, these illiterate sheet-wearing buffoons who loudly announce that they "hate diggers" leave much to be desired, but seriously, can you show me any reasoned arguments that show non-whites to be a benefit to our nation?

Not unique examples, either. Colin Powell was a military man leading the ARMY OF THE WHITE MAN. G.W. Carver improved farming in the LAND OF THE WHITE MAN. Maya Angelou wrote and published in the LITERATURE OF THE WHITE MAN.

Tell me of their great achievements and gifts to humanity when they're in their own self-made environments...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#14 Dec 27, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
A criminal is one who breaks the law, right? If someone chooses to find a shortcut then I believe there are consequences to that shortcut in life. No matter if you are black, white, green or yellow.
When are people going to stop looking at the color of another's skin long enough to accept the fat that there are good and bad people in every race? I personally know people from the white race that have or do sell drugs and I also know white people that work for every thing that they have, Yet I also know black people that have worked for every thing that they have and also several that have opted for a shortcut and are now confined because they chose an illegal way to pay their bills.
In order for the society in Selma to stop being so racist I believe it starts with each and every one of us first. When is the last time you stopped to help someone of the opposite color of yourself? I think that people need to stop placing blame on someone else and take responsibility for their own actions.
Has anyone noticed that while MANY people of both races have sit to bitch and complain about no jobs, there has been a raise in the community of Mexicans that have come into our town? So if there were no jobs- then how could they survive?
People need to rid themselves of those chips on their shoulders and get a job and quit living on the system. Where is the pride that goes with actually working for what you get instead of waiting on a check every month?
Yes, criminals were arrested and maybe a few learned their lesson and then some still have not.But STOP blaming others and admit that if you do the crime then you have to pay the price.
hmmm.... do we know each other? are we related?

I have hired and fired all color of people. Color has nothing to do with either good traits the good workers had in common or the bad traits the bad workers had in common.

Something I've also noticed is that it doesn't matter if a guy makes 20 bucks and hour or 10 bucks and hour, if he's not going anywhere, he's still going to complain about not making enough money and will look for shortcuts and sit on his butt when the boss pulls off the jobsite and he tells himself he's justified because he's not making enough money.

The worker I admire is the one that doesn't complain, but tries his best in all areas. That person will make mistakes, as everyone does, but he's still working when the boss leaves and his justification for continuing to work to the best of his ability is because he wants to excel in all areas of his life. Likewise, those in high places will recognized that person with raises eventually and the increase in pay will be justified.

Shortcuts are never justified, and there is no such thing as color, but only talents, intelligence and heart.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 27, 2009
Russ from Selma wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so we agree.
Now, let's get to the real HEART of the matter.
Tell me just one logical and provable fallacy in the practice of racism.
Oh, to be sure, these illiterate sheet-wearing buffoons who loudly announce that they "hate diggers" leave much to be desired, but seriously, can you show me any reasoned arguments that show non-whites to be a benefit to our nation?
Not unique examples, either. Colin Powell was a military man leading the ARMY OF THE WHITE MAN. G.W. Carver improved farming in the LAND OF THE WHITE MAN. Maya Angelou wrote and published in the LITERATURE OF THE WHITE MAN.
Tell me of their great achievements and gifts to humanity when they're in their own self-made environments...
What are you contributing Russ? You're a white. How are you benefiting our nation?

Location hidden

#16 Dec 28, 2009
This discussion isn't about ME...it's about the parasites who are draining our country dry.

Your question reminds me of something I read in Mein Kampf...if you can't overcome the MESSAGE, then you attack the MESSENGER.

Whassa matter? Can't debate the MESSAGE?

But since you asked, I am not receiving ANY FORM OF ENTITLEMENTS. I'm not able to, seeing as how I'm still listed on the employment roster of a certain trucking company...you'll see me at home a lot, lately, since I've taken the winter off.

Now, back to the point. Can you tell me of just one African nation, led and governed and financed by Africans, that produces anything other than hungry, diseased, illiterate African babies?

And you really think a boat ride (or a plane ride) is gonna change all that?

Location hidden

#17 Dec 28, 2009
Dewayne Allday wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you contributing Russ? You're a white. How are you benefiting our nation?
ALTHOUGH...

Not sure if you've thought about it, but let's be honest with each other. I'm on the losing side, here.

Yeah, I said it. I'm on the losing side here. Repeating myself, and I'm neither senile nor drunk.

Having said that, let's take a look at the alternatives. No way I can win, even though I'll stir up a little good discussion along the way. So what is a fellow to do?

Maybe I should try the old adage..."If you can't beat'em, JOIN'EM!!!"

I've often wondered whether it wouldn't be smarter to just throw in the towel and get a check started. There are TONS of lawyers who will take your case and won't charge you unless you win. The treasury is printing money like Charmin rolls out toilet paper.

Hey, think about it! I mean, if I go back to work, I might get laid off, fired, demoted, who knows? Driving a truck, I might be easing down the highway and a family of illegal immigrants might blow a tire and run under my trailer and get me thrown in jail.(It happens!)

If I go back to work I'll have to give up TV time (even tho I don't own a TV) time with friends, time fishing, time online, you name it. Might even have to break a sweat now and then!!!

But if I get a check started, I won't have to worry about layoffs, slowdowns, NUTHIN! My money will be there on the 1st or 3rd of the month, my food stamps at their appointed time, my section 8 housing will be paid, my FREE MEDICAL CARE will be available 24/7/365...

Best of all, once the Obamanation's healthcare plan kicks in, I WON'T HAVE TO PAY MY HARD EARNED MONEY FOR THE PARASITES TO HAVE HEALTHCARE!!! WOOHOOOOO!!!

I'd be A DAMN FOOL to go back to work!!!

THANK YOU DEWAYNE, FOR HELPING ME SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!!
JustTheDude

United States

#18 Dec 28, 2009
I don't argue with blatent racists. It's a waste of my time just like they are a waste of space. Russ, from reading most of your posts here I can tell you are not interested in seeing another point of view, you would rather just spew hate. There is no way to effectively debate this issue when all you bring to the table is predjudice and racism.

I feel sorry for you.

Location hidden

#19 Dec 28, 2009
*grin* this business of thinking like a parasite is interestingly addictive!!! What I just wrote was meant "tongue in cheek", but damn, I make good sense!!!

Location hidden

#20 Dec 28, 2009
Russ from Selma wrote:
This discussion isn't about ME...it's about the parasites who are draining our country dry.
Your question reminds me of something I read in Mein Kampf...if you can't overcome the MESSAGE, then you attack the MESSENGER.
Whassa matter? Can't debate the MESSAGE?
But since you asked, I am not receiving ANY FORM OF ENTITLEMENTS. I'm not able to, seeing as how I'm still listed on the employment roster of a certain trucking company...you'll see me at home a lot, lately, since I've taken the winter off.
Now, back to the point. Can you tell me of just one African nation, led and governed and financed by Africans, that produces anything other than hungry, diseased, illiterate African babies?
And you really think a boat ride (or a plane ride) is gonna change all that?
Russ, this isn't about "entitlements" and if you need and deserved them, then you should definitely get them.

I believe in major welfare reform. The system is outdated and not doing recipients any favors. You speak as though black people are the only ones receiving them, but you should know, being a truck driver, that in some areas of the country there are many whites receiving benefits as well. There is abuse to the system, and the longer recipients are on benefits, the less likely they are to become productive members of society. Just think about yourself Russ.. If you sat on your ass for 5 years and got paid for it, psychologically, could you get to work on time and be productive?

Personally I think the system should be overhauled, and abusers be taken off the system, and that money spent on educational programs to help them become productive members of society. Necessary skills, such as get to work on time, don't have children if you can't afford it, teach them resume skills and proper manners.

I'm not saying that i know the answer, but I am saying that it's not productive to pay someone to have children, and then pay them extra to have more children, and grandma is the one raising the kids while mom drinks, smokes and parties away the money, leaving the children lost and confused to be raised on the streets in some of the hardest neighborhoods in our country.

As far as Mein Kampf, you need to be careful sympathizing with the likes of Adolf Hitler Russ. I am worried about you because you have all of this anger inside and all that time on your hands. Hitler was the biggest racist to this day, and never forget how many Jew's he murdered in his racism that he spread through means such as propoganda... He was so smart, but he was absolutely INSANE with his thoughts that his race was "the race". He was INSANE Russ... Let me say it again.. HE WAS INSANE...and, although he was extremely gifted in many areas, he was a complete shit head.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mobile Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alabama loaded in 2017 Sat Will Dockery 1
How many people in Alabama are racist? (Nov '08) Sat reader8 169
Earline Martin-Harris, former Prichard coucilwo... Fri CAROL MABRY 1
Zoning Change Allows Provision Self-Storage to ... Fri Gerald Vonberger 1
Search Warrants Served at Residences of Hiawayi... Dec 18 Wonder 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 VeggieBurger 90
Looking for other victims, of my sane rapist Dec 14 Survivor 1
Mobile Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mobile People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mobile News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mobile

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:47 pm PST