Missouri Judical System/Mo. Dept of Corrections

Posted in the Moberly Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Assbkwrdsjustice system

El Dorado Springs, MO

#1 Nov 26, 2008
How do the police,detectives,public defenders, and the Mo. Dept of Corrections get away with the way they do people? Who picks these people? Who makes all the rules? How can you be given the option to do there work for them and get off your charges? Why do they all work together against supposed to be offenders? What happen to innocent until proven guilty? I could go on and with questions. But no one has the correct answers, because the system makes the rules up as they go. It is not fair,and they are hurting so many people including children.Something has got to be done, but where do you start. Missouri system needs help.How??????????
mobgirl

Kansas City, MO

#2 Nov 26, 2008
Assbkwrdsjusticesystem wrote:
How do the police,detectives,public defenders, and the Mo. Dept of Corrections get away with the way they do people? Who picks these people? Who makes all the rules? How can you be given the option to do there work for them and get off your charges? Why do they all work together against supposed to be offenders? What happen to innocent until proven guilty? I could go on and with questions. But no one has the correct answers, because the system makes the rules up as they go. It is not fair,and they are hurting so many people including children.Something has got to be done, but where do you start. Missouri system needs help.How??????????
Do you work in law enforcement? Any of the ones you listed? Do you know anyone who is in law enforcement? Do you know anyone in prison? Have you been in prison/jail before. The men and women at the prison have a thankless job and don't make NEAR the amount they should...They have more contact with harden criminals then the local police/deputies. THey are locked in there with them. They can't just up and leave. My husband works in the Dept. of Corrections and I worry everytime he walks out the door and pray he doesn't get hurt at work...IF you haven't done the job, don't judge. THe system may need work, but call your congressmen and women...The more people who do that, the more results we will see.
Assbkwrdsjustice system

El Dorado Springs, MO

#3 Nov 26, 2008
Well I dont know what your husband does right now, but most of the ones workin DOC right now are crooked,they are there for a paycheck only, and they treat the inmates like they are no-bodies, every one has made some mistakes, some worse then others, some just didnt get caught, I dont mean like sex crimes, crimes against kids, or viloent crimes but like all this little petty stuff people are getting locked for, and they are so overcrowded,and then all these people either snith, or plead out and they get screwed by a public defender, and most of the time they are innocent. Contacting congressman? Yea RIGHT! DOC is the last of there wworries.
omg

Hillsboro, MO

#4 Dec 6, 2008
What the holy heck are you talking about?

You are making a statement as if EVERYONE is bad. Yeah, unfortunately, there are a few bad apples, but really. State some facts. Specifics!

Until you can, get off your pity potty and hold yourself and the offender (if you are not one and the same) accountable for wrongdoings while correcting them.

Staff are there to help but are not there to do more than the offender!!!
put my 2 cents in

Holden, MO

#5 Dec 8, 2008
Well maybe your a worker of DOC, and just maybe your a decent one, but...there arent many. I have a loved one locked up and the stuff we have went through is unbelievable, I have been to meetings with people I do not know and are going through the same....bottom line DOC is in neeed of some major help in Missouri and alot of new employees.
Rand Co Native

Moberly, MO

#6 Dec 8, 2008
No I don't like how the DOC treats the inmates, but I will look at it this way, they did the crime.
The thing that really makes me mad is that the family and friends that go to visit the inmates are treated like criminals by the DOC. What did we do? We are not the ones that are behind bars. These people don't know us and we have never given them a reason to treat us that way. I am just glad that I don't have to put up with them anymore, but things do need to change.
put my 2 cents in

Holden, MO

#7 Dec 8, 2008
Yes you right "Most of them did the crime" but...I honestly believe there are many that are there because they got stuck with a pub defender and got scared into a guilty plea. I know several. Its sad, that everyone cant be treated fair. My husband is there for cleaning a gun and it blew up hurting himself, NO ONE ELSE, he was in the hospital for 1 week, charged a week later, bonded out of jail, paid a lawyer $4,000, and the charges were dropped. 2 months later he was asked to snitch and he rufused! 1 week later the charges were refiled, we did not have another $4000 for a lawyer.So......he had a public defender, and was screwed! now serving a 3yr sentence, who's hurting now me and our 4 kids? Why....because our justice system is screwed up bad. I have talked to so many people in Missouri since this all happened and you wouldnt believe the stories I hear, its crazy they get by with this.
Gotta Say

Kansas City, MO

#8 Dec 8, 2008
put my 2 cents in wrote:
Yes you right "Most of them did the crime" but...I honestly believe there are many that are there because they got stuck with a pub defender and got scared into a guilty plea. I know several. Its sad, that everyone cant be treated fair. My husband is there for cleaning a gun and it blew up hurting himself, NO ONE ELSE, he was in the hospital for 1 week, charged a week later, bonded out of jail, paid a lawyer $4,000, and the charges were dropped. 2 months later he was asked to snitch and he rufused! 1 week later the charges were refiled, we did not have another $4000 for a lawyer.So......he had a public defender, and was screwed! now serving a 3yr sentence, who's hurting now me and our 4 kids? Why....because our justice system is screwed up bad. I have talked to so many people in Missouri since this all happened and you wouldnt believe the stories I hear, its crazy they get by with this.
May I ask what your husband was actually charged with? Was he alone in the home when this happened or were you and the kids there too?
Gotta Say

Kansas City, MO

#9 Dec 8, 2008
Rand Co Native wrote:
No I don't like how the DOC treats the inmates, but I will look at it this way, they did the crime.
The thing that really makes me mad is that the family and friends that go to visit the inmates are treated like criminals by the DOC. What did we do? We are not the ones that are behind bars. These people don't know us and we have never given them a reason to treat us that way. I am just glad that I don't have to put up with them anymore, but things do need to change.
While I don't think you should be treated poorly, keep in mind that the guards have no idea who you are, what you're about or if you're going to try something squirrly. Remember what happened when "friends" went to visit someone in the Huntsville jail and two of the guards wound up dead. Very few people are actually going to go to those lengths but I would think the guards would rather be safe than sorry.
I know if it were my husband working at a prison, I'd rather he be considered unfriendly and rude than a pushover by someone with ill intentions.
Rand Co Native

Moberly, MO

#10 Dec 8, 2008
Gotta Say wrote:
<quoted text>
While I don't think you should be treated poorly, keep in mind that the guards have no idea who you are, what you're about or if you're going to try something squirrly. Remember what happened when "friends" went to visit someone in the Huntsville jail and two of the guards wound up dead. Very few people are actually going to go to those lengths but I would think the guards would rather be safe than sorry.
I know if it were my husband working at a prison, I'd rather he be considered unfriendly and rude than a pushover by someone with ill intentions.
That's right, they don't know me, so why am I being found guilty, by them, of wrong doings just because I am coming to visit a friend or loved one. That is not an excuse for their behavior.

Yes, I do remember very well what happened in Huntsville, I lived just a few blocks away at that time. There was no type of security there at that time, which was why they built that new Justice Center, remember?

At least at the prisons, you have to go through metal detectors or they will search you, so then, what am I going to do to them? I obviously won't be able to bring anything in that will put them in danger.

I can understand their concern with some of the inmates, some of those guys are violent, that is what got them put there in the first place, but that is no excuse at all what so ever on how they treat the visitors.
Rand Co Native

Moberly, MO

#11 Dec 8, 2008
put my 2 cents in wrote:
I agree with you on that. I didn't mean that everyone in the jails and prison systems are guilty, I know that people are falsely accused every day. I just meant that I can understand why the guards are harder on the inmates. They look at them all as being guilty no matter what.
I am sorry that you took that all the wrong way, that was not my intentions.
put my 2 cents in

Holden, MO

#12 Dec 10, 2008
No, I knew what you meant! I feel that same way and just not about they guards the whole system is screwed bad. My husband was charged unlawful use of a weapon, and no kids were there, just me! they took me to jail first because they thought I shot him! after testing negtive for gun powder i was released. It was obvious the gun was not even shot, it blew up.......the whole point is if we were rich he would be home right now, but since he was tired of dealing with it and them keep messing with us, he gave the stete what they wanted and plead guilty to get it over with.
put my 2 cents in

Holden, MO

#13 Dec 10, 2008
Sorry for the typo's! It makes me so mad to talk about this, my figers move to fast!

Since: Oct 08

Macon, MO

#14 Dec 10, 2008
put my 2 cents in wrote:
No, I knew what you meant! I feel that same way and just not about they guards the whole system is screwed bad. My husband was charged unlawful use of a weapon, and no kids were there, just me! they took me to jail first because they thought I shot him! after testing negtive for gun powder i was released. It was obvious the gun was not even shot, it blew up.......the whole point is if we were rich he would be home right now, but since he was tired of dealing with it and them keep messing with us, he gave the stete what they wanted and plead guilty to get it over with.
Did you try talking to an attorney to see if you could make payments until you had his fees paid. I know a girl that just went through the judicial system and that is what she did. Her charges got greatly reduced and just a year probabtion to the court. I don't know how many attorneys will do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And as far as some, notice I said some, of the prison guards, they are crooked. Years ago I had a lady babysit for me. Her husband was a guard at MCC. I know he was into alcohol and drugs. One day her and I found a bottle of alcohol with pills in it in the trunk of his car while we were looking for a car jack.

I also know of a lot of guards that are very nice. I understand they have to stay in control because some of the inmates could take advantage of a situation. So I am sure they can come across as jerks.

But any way, call some attorneys and see if you can find any help.
put my 2 cents in

Holden, MO

#15 Dec 10, 2008
Thank you for your advice, we had no time they called him into court on Monday, Wednesday he plead out and the next monday......he was gone! It was the worst thing I had ever dealt with in my whole life. We are almost done now, he left Jan 7th 2008, he will be home in March. They say everything happens for a reason,we just don't always know the reason. I can say it's made me a much stronger person , wife, and most of all mother. I have gained alot of repsect for all single mothers, because it's harder then HE**! I just wish something could be done with the whole system because it is not fair to many people, we are just one of the few, they screwed.
Gotta Say

United States

#16 Dec 10, 2008
I think Gillis Leonard is one of them that will take payments on cases. Just depends on the case I think. No harm in trying.

Since: Oct 08

Macon, MO

#17 Dec 10, 2008
Gotta Say wrote:
I think Gillis Leonard is one of them that will take payments on cases. Just depends on the case I think. No harm in trying.
Cooksey does too.
comoworker

Kansas City, MO

#18 Dec 10, 2008
Rand Co Native wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, they don't know me, so why am I being found guilty, by them, of wrong doings just because I am coming to visit a friend or loved one. That is not an excuse for their behavior.
Yes, I do remember very well what happened in Huntsville, I lived just a few blocks away at that time. There was no type of security there at that time, which was why they built that new Justice Center, remember?
At least at the prisons, you have to go through metal detectors or they will search you, so then, what am I going to do to them? I obviously won't be able to bring anything in that will put them in danger.
I can understand their concern with some of the inmates, some of those guys are violent, that is what got them put there in the first place, but that is no excuse at all what so ever on how they treat the visitors.
There's a big picture on the wall in the visiting room at the moberly facility of a previous warden: his brother was in prison for drugs...his brother talked their MOTHER into bringing drugs into him and she got caught...I'm sure the drugs didn't set off the metal detector. The contraband that makes its' way into the facilities is by the visitors as well as other means. SOmetimes the family members will do ANYTHING for their loved one that is in there. Whether it's drugs or weapons...so, everyone has to abide by the rules.
comoworker

Kansas City, MO

#19 Dec 10, 2008
and i'm not saying that EVERYONE who visits has bad intentions...it's just one sour apple...SOURED the whole bunch. IF you get what I mean.
Gotta Say

United States

#20 Dec 10, 2008
Scared Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Cooksey does too.
Yeah, I'd kind of forgotten about Cooksey. I have no idea what each one of these guys charge up front although I'm sure it's a little bit. Enough to cover the leg work, the filing fees and assorted court costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moberly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lions Beuth Park/Rock Quarry fishing Fri northguy 10
Barry Pilkington Jun 21 That girl 1
eddie ashburn (Aug '15) Jun 21 That girl 13
Kaleigh Rounds Jun 21 Justice 11
Disrespectful Jun 21 Proud 1
insanity Jun 20 gubble 5
who is Nicolette Jun 19 Never 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moberly Mortgages