Peterson, mayor are skilled propagand...

Peterson, mayor are skilled propagandists

There are 2 comments on the Standard.net story from Jun 18, 2006, titled Peterson, mayor are skilled propagandists. In it, Standard.net reports that:

First, a disclaimer. I am not a resident of Ogden, and I only live in West Haven part-time. I have been following the gondola issue, and have reached an interesting conclusion: Chris Peterson and Mayor Godfrey ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Standard.net.

Blake Fowers

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jun 22, 2006
Trouble with the 'it'll never work' menatality in Ogden is that Ogden is an exact example of the opposite. This writer mocks the statement that 'The gondola will benefit everyone in Ogden' by calling it propaganda and 'Glittering generalities'

So how does the writer explain that when the railroad came it wasn't just a couple of people who got rich? The whole town boomed. But of course the writer doesn't get the concept. He'll say that a gondola isn't the railroad. He's missing the ski resort, and 400 families with enough money to buy an expensive golf course home. But they won't come either right?

There was a man who was prudent. He waited until the patent was actually granted for his process before going ahead- even though he could see nothing but upside. His patent was granted and he quit his job knowing investors would be eager. 6 solid years later, pounding the pavement every day and almost losing his home, this man found an investor and founded Xerox. He's a Billionaire. His process? Copying machines. Every potential investor for 6 solid years told him nobody would ever buy one because they had carbon paper and it's cheap.
Robert A Becker

Draper, UT

#2 Mar 20, 2007
Ah, yes, Mr. Fowers has retreated to the "they laughed at Columbus" defense. Always a sign of a weak argument. His version is, "Hey, they laughed at the guy who invented the Xerox machine." From which he concludes is not feasible is necessarily bound to succeed, because "they laughed at the guy who invented Xerox." What these "they laughed at Columbus/the Wright Brothers/the guy who invented Xerox" [pick one] defenses ignore is the many many thousands of proposals that were laughed at and that failed. Focusing on the few spactacular successes and ignoring the herd of the justifiably unfunded is a tactic that works only on the gulible.
The success of Xerox has exactly nothing whatsoever to do with the question of whether the Mayor's gondola/gondola plan [I notice Mr. Fowers has signed on to the Lift Ogden Amen Chorus tactic of implying that Ogden is considering only one gondola, not the two the Mayor has in fact proposed] is a prudent one or not.
What the Lift Ogden Amen Chorus [in which Mr. Fowers, apparently a California resident, has a guest membership it seems] has not produced, nor has the Mayor, nor has Mr. Peterson, are feasibility studies, market studies, engineering studies, geologic studies etc. etc. that say the flatland gondola the mayor wants to build to carry people from downtown to WSU, and the upland gondola Mr. Peterson wants to build to carry them from WSU to Malan's Basin, and the mini-vest pocket ski resort he wants to build in Malan's basin, are feasible projects, that they are likely to be successful.
One way, here in the capitalist USA, we assess the feasibility of development projects is via the market. Are enough investors willing to put up their money to develop the project? Are enough of them convinced of the probability of success that they will risk their own capital in expectation of substantial profit over time? Well, the market has spoken in re: the Peterson Malan's Basin gondola and ski resort development. It has said "no." Mr. Peterson has been unable to raise funds for his project in the traditional capital markets, and so he is attempting to convince the city to sell him the largest park in the city and adjacent city owned parklands in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains for a real estate development project [gated community of 400 to 600 vacation villas --- the number changes periodically] so that he may profit enough to build his up mountain gondola and Malan's Basin resort. He wants the city to take what he pays it for the land, and to raise millions more on its own, to build a flatland gondola [which not even the Chamber of Commerce thinks is a "transit project" anymore, though that is how the Mayor first tried to sell it], the major purpose of which will be to deliver tourists to Mr. Peterson's up mountain gondola at WSU.
So we have to ask... or at least people not in the Godfrey/Peterson Lift Ogden Amen Chorus do... this: if this whole gondola/gondola mini-ski resort project is such a sure fire winner, where are the private investors, the pension funds, the commercial banks, willing to put their money behind it? Why does Peterson have to rely on city financing for the whole thing?
But hey, Xerox worked, so I guess asking if the whole gondola/gondola project is feasible or not [financially and otherwise] is just naysaying.
Oh, before I go, I want to let Mr. Fowers know that I have invented a perpetual motion machine that will produce endless power running on a mixture of prune juice and club soda. If he would like to invest... only $10 million or so should see the project off the ground... I'd be happy to let him in on the ground floor. What? You're skeptical? But why? They laughed at the founder of Xerox too you know....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moab Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rookie looking for fun Oct 28 Anonymous 1
Was Jennifer Klein found? Jul '17 Ugh 3
News 6 miners in Utah remain trapped - (Aug '07) Jun '17 indict dick cheney 3
News 3rd hole planned to reach Utah miners (Aug '07) Jun '17 mosaic causes asthma 3
News Jeep Trailcat Is the 707-hp Hellcat-Powered Wra... (Mar '16) Apr '17 Wheels 7
Vote For Donald Trump (Mar '16) Mar '17 Lily 3
News Obama expands environmental legacy with 2 Weste... (Dec '16) Jan '17 Chilli J 35

Moab Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moab Mortgages