Colfax Police Chief to retire

Dec 14, 2007 Full story: Newton Daily News 18

“When I came to Colfax, the police force was under-prepared in all aspects of law enforcement”

Police Chief Jon Huggins took the opportunity of the Colfax City Council meeting on Dec. via Newton Daily News

Full Story
honest truth

United States

#1 Jan 6, 2008
the city of colfax should hold a celebration party instead of a retirement party for a corrupt cheif.
its sad when a town has to hide in their own homes in fear of a police dept. that is suppost to protect them from outsiders but instead targets thier own citizens so they can pay for their own and their childrens mistakes in life. can any one tell me why colfax needs a total of 19 officers oh thats right to protect them selves from their own mistakes. Maybe the new mayor will get rid of the other officers who deserve to be let go for abusing their own families and dont introuble for it even though police were called, but again their all buddies and look out for their own instead of the people who pay their wages.
EX RESIDENT

Olathe, KS

#2 Jan 20, 2008
I WILL AGREE ON THE CORRUPT CHIEF PART. THE LADIES IN CITY HALL SEEMED TO DO A PRETTY GOOD JOB OF COVERING FOR HIM, WITH ANY LUCK THE NEW MAYOR WILL SHAPE UP THE CITY HALL. THE NEXT THAT NEEDS TO GO IS COUNCILWOMAN K.GULLIAN,SHE IS ONLY OUT FOR HERSELF.IT'S TERRIBLE THAT HER PUPPET BETH WAS VOTED OUT.
mayb

United States

#3 Jan 25, 2008
interesting
Concerned Citizen

Radcliffe, IA

#4 Feb 12, 2008
I have had nothing but positive results with the Colfax P.D. officers, the chief not so good. The other officers are very professional and helpful whenever needed. I just think that the city of Colfax is ANTI-POLICE!!! For a town this size we have alot of stupid things go on here. The new Mayor was looking at getting rid of the current department, very bad move. This would not only give horrible response time but open the town to a "free for all". Its the new Mayor everyone should be concerned about, cutting budgets and public services!!!! Look out for Mayor Mast.
Shueyj

United States

#5 Feb 21, 2008
Im glad to see Mast cleaning up colfax, I just bought a house and am finally moving back to a town I grew up in. I remember colfax cops never busting the Meth makers but making sure they bust the 16yr old kids for having loud music.. I watched our cops bust two of my friends for having a soda pops which they just purchased from Kum & Go and was standing at the door walking out when the cops took their pops and tested them for alcohol and some how it tested positive. I wasn't with these kids at the time I was only a witness and tried to speak in their defense yet was told to shut up.. Im glad the "crap" services we had are gone and now when the real trouble occurs it will be dealt with properly.

Colfax is a great town with great people, but has been corrupt for far to long..
Colfax Citizen

United States

#6 Feb 26, 2008
I'm glad to see him leaving. He wasn't a good chief at all. His police force targeted teenagers and at times seemed to harass them.

But whats new in this town no one can stay to themselves, always getting in others business.
anyoums

Ankeny, IA

#8 Mar 2, 2008
I find it very interesting that people can make statements regarding possible corruption, but not one person is able to bring forth any evidence of any type of corruption. Former chief Huggins was an outstanding police chief who only brought good to the city of Colfax, they were lucky to have him, personally I believe he deserved better than Colfax. I believe most people disliked him because he wasn't afraid to tell you how it was and if you didn't like it well that was your problem. We are living in a society that has become too liberal, too permissive, too ill-mannered and too politically correct.

Gossip Just Ain't Cool!
Gossip, gossip, gossip.Gossip seeps through every school's halls, every bathroom's stalls, and every city's malls. There's celebrity gossip, E gossip, wrestling gossip, Hollywood gossip - even Barbie gossip. Gossip is entertainment for most people, but for the people who are being gossiped about, it sucks! And sometimes it can ruin their lives.
Gossip is basically lies, lies and more lies. And the last time I checked, lies ain't cool. Here's how it starts
People hear a tidbit of information about somebody they may know or not, and they take that info and build a story around it in their heads. Then they tell their friends this info, and their friends add even more false info to the story and spread that around, until the whole school is talking about how Mandy is pregnant with Freddie's kid, when what really happened is Mandy only babysat Freddie's cousin's kid! It sounds so dumb that stuff like that can actually start, but it does.

Gossip gets carried away because talking about other people's crazy, made-up lives is sometimes more fun than talking about reality. But the thing is that it isn't real and it makes people's lives miserable. And once gossip starts there's no stopping it. Gossip and rumors will grow and grow until everybody is talking about everybody else and no one is safe. Remember when two DJs in Texas said that Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake had been in a car wreck? The next thing ya know, CNN is reporting that Britney is dead and the popstars' families are freaking out!

Real life is crazy enough without having people make stuff up about you, and vice-versa. There has to be a better way for people to socialize without making up lies. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one think about it?

a few quotes
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.--Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.
--Bill Cosby
Left Colfax

Lowden, IA

#9 Jun 15, 2008
What went on with the Huggins daughter? Is that also gossip?
Who needs gossip when you have facts like someone knocking on a door and blasting someone in the face with a shotgun...How many years did she serve on that charge???
I "aint" talking about gossip
Bigballs

Charlotte, NC

#10 Jun 27, 2008
As a passerby I always seen the cops at the fuel stop south of town stuffing their faces and waisting tax dollars!
get it right

United States

#11 Jul 4, 2008
Nice post, former chief Huggins, I mean, anyoums.
You never were shy about tooting your own horn. Too bad there wasn't much to toot about.

Bigballs, the fuel stops are on the north side of town. If you are referring to spending tax dollars unwisely, the correct word is waste, not waist. I suppose you would not have cops, or any government worker for that matter, eat or drink during their shift. Oh, and you didn't "seen" the cops at the fuel stop, you "saw" them. I think I know you, you played Festus on Gunsmoke.
Long ago chief

Denton, TX

#12 Dec 15, 2008
WOW Colfax appears to have really had some ups and (big) downs since i left in 1999. There were indeed alot of good people i met in Colfax and as far as police dept. not real sure how to respond, other then I feel i was very much a fair chief and will take that to the end.....
Iowa Resident

Ames, IA

#13 Feb 7, 2009
CORRUPT Huggins was nothing more than that -- CORRUPT. I was happy to see his offspring brought out the true nature of his gene pool.
As far as "not one person is able to bring forth any evidence of any type of corruption"... what do you think the meaning of corruption is?
You pull folks over for speeding just because they're from another county or city and not show up for trial - corrupt.
Hey former sad excuse of a chief, hows your criminal daughter doing... shoot anyone lately?
_Justice_4_All_

Gulf Shores, AL

#14 May 7, 2009
What the hell is wrong with all of you?
It sad that none of you believe in justice!!!
What would you do if someone raped your child for years and years, but they were to afraid to tell anyone!!! 98% of children that are raped, malested, and abused as children are to afraid to tell there parents because they believe that they didnt something wrong even if they didnt want to do it. No child should have their inocense taken from them... Let assume some of you have children..... and your daughter, maybe even son......YOUR BABY!!!....came to you and told you that someone you knew and trusted....said they were your friend even..touched your kid where no child should be touched.... that he had sex with your child that you gave birth to YEARS AGO...but in your mind is still your little baby that always needed you and you weren't there to protect them from the person that you thought you knew and thought was a friend.....wouldn't you want JUSTICE OF YOUR OWN....if the legal system just let him walk after he violated your baby?
I know that I would......
I would want that person to suffer....
What was Rachel's wrong doing really?
The system didnt give her justice.........yea...ok...wha t she did was wrong and illegal......but she was just a child when he raped and molested her....and she carried the weight on her own shoulders for years before she couldnt handle the nightmares and the thought of him doing it to other children and them being to afraid to tell their parents what he has been doing to them....
I believe in JUSTICE and thats what PETER SCIARROTTA was brought to....JUSTICE!!!!
so many children and even NOW ADULTS...came forward and told the police what he had done to them....and I'm almost positive that the parents of those children were slandering Rachel and the Huggins before they knew that their children were raped by the same man......
So ....... if you still believe that this was not JUST then let me know .........
Maybe I can explain it better in more time.
Thanx
lived here for 13 yrs

Knoxville, IA

#15 Jan 11, 2010
How come no one brought up what they found on huggins computer when they did investigation and found him talking to little boys and naked pics of boys that weren't of age how about that one?
amazed

Cumberland, IA

#17 May 31, 2010
it is unbelievable people can say such things. One would have to assume it was just low lifes who ran afoul of the law. as a long time colfax area resident and one who was involved with the city, there was no investigation of police computers and no nude pictures ever found, Huggins ran a clean department. If any single person has more than squawks about corrpution they should present the evidence r shut up. The guy took a ran down department and made it into a profesional one the city could be proud of. As far as his kid, he never did anything to effect the investigation and only stood by a child during a difficult perion time as any parent would or should. I strongly suspect the pervery she shot, who to this day is still registered as a child sexual abuser on the state child abuse registery is responsible for many of these posts.
get it right

Mound, MN

#18 Jul 5, 2010
Nice post Huggins, er, I mean, amazed. I think you are responsible for most of the positive posts on this blog. Give it a rest, seriously. Just run your dumpy bar down there in dumpy Cumberland Iowa. The PD is so much better off and more well-thought of than it has been in decades. Your leaving was addition by subtraction.
Joe

Charles City, IA

#19 Apr 14, 2011
The Colfax PD was corrupt for years. The OLD chief was a boxer and had sons that were terrible. Then his left hand idiot became chief. Then a nother idiot that had a heart attack and came back to work was the Chief.
One officer was shot at with a shot gun. the City was totally out of control. Huggins came around and cleaned it up. The place became a safe place to live unless you were a criminal. That guy did a great job.
His daughter was 18 and not living in his house when she shot someone. She had been sexually abused by a pervert. he was not shot in the face. He is on the child abuse registry to this day. He is a pervert. He should be shot dead. It is good she missed kind of. He should be tried by a jury of his peers and then shot dead. J Huggins had nothing to do with this.
Safe

Bronx, NY

#20 Sep 16, 2012
_Justice_4_All_ wrote:
What the hell is wrong with all of you?
It sad that none of you believe in justice!!!
What would you do if someone raped your child for years and years, but they were to afraid to tell anyone!!! 98% of children that are raped, malested, and abused as children are to afraid to tell there parents because they believe that they didnt something wrong even if they didnt want to do it. No child should have their inocense taken from them... Let assume some of you have children..... and your daughter, maybe even son......YOUR BABY!!!....came to you and told you that someone you knew and trusted....said they were your friend even..touched your kid where no child should be touched.... that he had sex with your child that you gave birth to YEARS AGO...but in your mind is still your little baby that always needed you and you weren't there to protect them from the person that you thought you knew and thought was a friend.....wouldn't you want JUSTICE OF YOUR OWN....if the legal system just let him walk after he violated your baby?
I know that I would......
I would want that person to suffer....
What was Rachel's wrong doing really?
The system didnt give her justice.........yea...ok...wha t she did was wrong and illegal......but she was just a child when he raped and molested her....and she carried the weight on her own shoulders for years before she couldnt handle the nightmares and the thought of him doing it to other children and them being to afraid to tell their parents what he has been doing to them....
I believe in JUSTICE and thats what PETER SCIARROTTA was brought to....JUSTICE!!!!
so many children and even NOW ADULTS...came forward and told the police what he had done to them....and I'm almost positive that the parents of those children were slandering Rachel and the Huggins before they knew that their children were raped by the same man......
So ....... if you still believe that this was not JUST then let me know .........
Maybe I can explain it better in more time.
Thanx
As someone who grew up with Pete's daughter, someone who has broken bread at his table, someone who has been alone with him both as a youth and as an adult- you are off your rocker. You couldn't be more wrong about his character. You disgust me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitchellville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mitchellville Iowa state industrial reform scho... (Sep '11) Dec 13 Mary Baker Skinner 11
Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Dec 12 stand-up guy in Ames 166
Pleasant Hill Police Arrest Three Students afte... Nov 26 action 2
Mitchellville women's prison names new warden (Sep '09) Nov 25 Unknown 25
ing nylon panties under thier male clothes Oct '14 anonymous 1
pantied guy Oct '14 ray 1
It's that time again.... Oct '14 Jeff Pearson 1
Mitchellville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mitchellville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mitchellville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mitchellville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:02 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:02AM
Breaking Down Steelers' Game Plan vs. Chiefs
Bleacher Report 4:24 AM
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Breaking Down the Chiefs' Game Plan
NBC Sports 7:45 AM
Steelers want crowd to be loud on Sunday
NBC Sports 1:27 PM
Chiefs' draft picks starting to produce late - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:41 PM
Norv Turner: It's pretty incredible to me what Teddy Bridgewater has done this season