'Mother without hope' needs help

'Mother without hope' needs help

There are 36 comments on the Meridian Star story from Apr 7, 2007, titled 'Mother without hope' needs help. In it, Meridian Star reports that:

My 27-year-old son is struggling with an addiction to pain medications and has upon several occasions lost consciousness and been hospitalized.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Meridian Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#4 Apr 9, 2007
Carol,
I emailed this lady and you should be hearing from her.
Much love,
Reetz
Zinger

New Zealand

#7 Apr 10, 2007
The irony is in giving a drug to someone who can't control their drug intake just to keep crime down.

A very cynical inhumane Government policy. I think we'd all rather have live relatives (even if thieves and scabs while they find thei rockbottom) than dead ones.

But that seems not how the Govt sees things. More like - give them this drug and maybe there will be one less 'non productive unit' on welfare soon enough.

Its diabolical. And methadone for the young whose brains may have a good chance of recovery given good input is selling them short. his lady needs to know about the frontline lternatives like rehab or if more desperate measures are needed bup. Methadone is just junk mail at this stage imo. Dangerous junk mail.

The world is waking up to this. It may take 50 years but as people get more educated right will prevail.

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#8 Apr 10, 2007
Mary, if you read this article, then you will see that nowhere does she say there is a "methadone" problem. She said he is struggling with a "pain medication" addiction. But, once again, everything is blamed on only Methadone, as your post shows. Thank God that Oxycontin, XanaX, and the other "pain meds" are safe, because if you get the "methadone" away, he will be fine.
Thank you for solving this boys life.
Reetz

Since: Mar 07

Lake Helen, FL

#10 Apr 10, 2007
Reetz,
I'm not uncaring of anyone's personal tragedy's. I've gone through my son's death, my parents death, and currently have a wife who had heart surgery and heart valve replacement that seems not to be getting better and this has been going on for a year now. I think, I've held together pretty well. I'm at a point that I don't let the small stuff worry me. All in all methadone will most likely never be banned, neither will other things that are no good for us like smoking or drinking. Think of how many people would be alive if they banned smoking. My parents would still be here--maybe?
Bruce

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#12 Apr 10, 2007
Draco wrote:
Reetz,
I'm not uncaring of anyone's personal tragedy's. I've gone through my son's death, my parents death, and currently have a wife who had heart surgery and heart valve replacement that seems not to be getting better and this has been going on for a year now. I think, I've held together pretty well. I'm at a point that I don't let the small stuff worry me. All in all methadone will most likely never be banned, neither will other things that are no good for us like smoking or drinking. Think of how many people would be alive if they banned smoking. My parents would still be here--maybe?
Bruce
And also my Mom.
And me a little longer than I will be.
Bruce, We all learn to put little cages around our heart the more life tries to break it.

You're are totally right.
I have the book, Bruce.
It's called, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff...
...and it's All small stuff".
Much love,
Reetz
karen archer

Hollywood, FL

#14 May 2, 2007
MY son died June20,2006. cause of death a drug induced cardiac arrhythmia. He was 22 years old.I cant describe in words the pain a mother feels. My mother says, if you survive this you can deal with anything because their is no greater loss. I have searched my soul to find answers to this Methadone problem. I continue to believe its use is too dangerous for the general public due to increased risk related to problems with the heart. I realize that drug addicted patients become very sick,and need somthing when they have no drugs.Our society needs a wake up call, our children are dying. How can we help them? I feel that addicts are very valuable people,and deserve the right to a healthy happy life.I refuse to believe that once an addict always an addict.I dont have the answers but pray that God will heal, and give us the knowledge to save a dying society.
rdd

United States

#15 Jun 14, 2007
I have experienced first hand a family member who turned to a Methadone clinic for help with an addiction to pain meds. she would go in to get "dosed" when she was so high that she could hardly stand, they dosed her anyway. Once she even passed out inside the clinic, the called 911, and sent her to ER, dosed her the next day. As long as they have the money to pay, there seems to be little care for the actual well being of these patients. My story does not have a happy ending, her addictions resulted in her death at age 32, she left 3 beautiful children, and family that loved her very much. I believe Methadone can help, but you have to leave everything else alone, and follow the guidelines. when mixed with other substances, it is VERY deadly, and should be considered so. But it is also the way that the government has gotten their hand in the till, the money made off of a single methadone clinic is astronomical. I read all their pamphlets and Methadone is actually made from Morphine and synthetic Heroine. The government makes it, sells it, and gets rich off other peoples cry for help. In reality, the government is peddling something that is illegal on the streets, but it's legal for them. All in all, the way you use it is the determining factor in whether it helps or hurts. Best wishes to all who are addicted.

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#16 Jun 14, 2007
rdd,
I understand what you are saying, but EVERY drug is the same! It's the difference between "Use and Abuse". That is simply common sense.
And what you wrote is exactly what many are saying about Methadone.
"Education" is the key. There are simply TOO many people who DON"T know about the deadliness of Methadone if is not taken as directed by a doctor.
Thanks,
R
HARMD

Middletown, CT

#18 Jun 14, 2007
rdd

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I totally agree with what you are saying about the government making money off this drug and I think they are exploiting the addicts they are supposed to be helping. How can they allow then to keep using drugs and add to the danger by giving them methadone.

Melissa
harmd . org
mary haynes

China Grove, NC

#19 Jun 14, 2007
Karen and rdd, I too lost a son. Jamie was 23 and died on 09-04-06 from a methadone overdose. Many things are being done as we speak to try to stop this epidemic. Please come see us at harmd.org .(Helping America Reduce Methadone Deaths) We could use the help and we also have a support forum for people who have lost a loved one to methadone. I am so very sorry for the losses you have experienced. Mary Haynes, Vice President of Harmd

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#20 Jun 14, 2007
Rdd,
The more I read your post, the sadder I get. I really hope that the clinic that you speak of has something happen to it before it kills someone. That is simply awful.
Bless you,
R

“MethadoneSupport .org”

Since: Jan 07

MethadoneSupport.org

#21 Jun 16, 2007
rdd wrote:
I read all their pamphlets and Methadone is actually made from Morphine and synthetic Heroine. The government makes it, sells it, and gets rich off other peoples cry for help. In reality, the government is peddling something that is illegal on the streets, but it's legal for them. All in all, the way you use it is the determining factor in whether it helps or hurts. Best wishes to all who are addicted.
Hi there, rdd....so sorry for your loss. Just wanted to make a small correction re how Methadone is made.

Methadone is actually a drug unto itself. In other words...it is NOT made up of other drugs (morphine, heroin etc.) Surprisingly enough, Propoxyphene (Darvon) is structurally similar to methadone, but not in the same family.

Wish you the best!.....Carol

founder/director
Methadone Support Org.
ajbear

Burnaby, Canada

#22 Jun 18, 2007
I'm very sorry for her loss too, I've lost many I love to addictions, alchoholism. Myself & hubbie have been on a methadone program for 12 yrs now. I've decided to rapid detox. Its only day 1 but much easier, for me, than the tapering I've tried b4.
The meth program saved our lives, gave our then 4 yr old a chance to have alive & involved in his life parents. there are drawbacks but it works & we know we'd be dead now if the gov't didn't have the program.

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#23 Jun 19, 2007
ajbear wrote:
I'm very sorry for her loss too, I've lost many I love to addictions, alchoholism. Myself & hubbie have been on a methadone program for 12 yrs now. I've decided to rapid detox. Its only day 1 but much easier, for me, than the tapering I've tried b4.
The meth program saved our lives, gave our then 4 yr old a chance to have alive & involved in his life parents. there are drawbacks but it works & we know we'd be dead now if the gov't didn't have the program.
I don't want to scare you at all, but I would do my homework if I were you please.....
I have talked to about 10 different people, and they not only said they wasted a lot of money, they also said it was hell.
Good Luck,
R
Susie

Elkridge, MD

#24 Jun 19, 2007
reetz1960 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to scare you at all, but I would do my homework if I were you please.....
I have talked to about 10 different people, and they not only said they wasted a lot of money, they also said it was hell.
Good Luck,
R
I second what Reetz has said...these have not be 'proven' and are very very dangerous. Please do your homework, the good and the bad.
There have been many that I know who have said it was pure hell, and the money they spent was a total waste.
Susie.
Beth

Kansas City, MO

#25 Jun 20, 2007
AJBear, Please be very careful and research your choice for "rapid detox". It seems that the person with the most to gain from this procedure is the dr. who performs it. The best rate of success are from those who do a slow taper, with an exercise diet plan.

Most that I've spoken with who have had the procedure have suffered greatly with symptoms of withdrawal and depression. Do your research.
The best to you, b
Vyn

United States

#26 Jun 21, 2007
Did some "homework" myself and found:
rapid detox is the most expensive way to detox, and also has the highest cases of immediate relapse.

-Vyn

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#27 Jun 21, 2007
Vyn wrote:
Did some "homework" myself and found:
rapid detox is the most expensive way to detox, and also has the highest cases of immediate relapse.
-Vyn
AMEN Vyn....AMEN.
welcome back. Missed you!
R
karen archer

United States

#28 Sep 21, 2007
I continue to research the drug Methadone,and you are wrong its not like any other drug, such as percocet or alcohol. you could take a percocet and xanax together and its not going to kill you! This is not true of Methadone it cant be mixed with anything.This is why I'me so negative about the drug;it is given to drug addicts and they increase it to the highest level their legaly abel to give 120mg daily. They believe this dose will reduce cravings! As we all know addiction is not just a physical dependence ,but also a mental dependence.Most people will relapse and take other drugs because this is just part of the addiction process. So if we know as a society that 95% of the people will mix drugs with methadone,how can we stand by with a clear conscious and let them die.I know Methadone has been around 40 years and used for Heroin abuse: now its used for every addiction.It's like putting an elephant on a persons back who is addicted to oxycontin or percocet. I believe Methadone probably did help heroin users in the past. I do not believe it should be used for any other reason. My son died of a drug induced Cardiac arrhythmia, from the research Ime doing It shows that with high doses of Methadone it causes The QT interval to increase: I dont know if regular EKG's would let us know that we were at risk, or if this just occurs prior to death. You may have been on this drug for years and fall over dead tomorrow. You dont have to mix it to Die. I do agree that we cant just pull it off the Market, because its more addicting than heroin or oxycontin, and more difficult to detox from. I do believe that they should not put any more patients on it untill more research is done. Most people on Methadone know someone who has died from this drug: however this will not deter them from taking it because the physical need is so great. I've heard people talk about the nausea, and how their bones ache, and personaly seen how their cognition slows.

“If you Believe,You can Achieve”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, WI

#30 Sep 22, 2007
Karen,
I am truly sorry of your loss, I swear I am, but much of the first half of your post was wrong.
You say that methadone can't be mixed with anything. What?? Of course it can. It simply cannot be mixed with some benzo's and alcohol.
Highest legal dose is 120mg? Where did you hear that? I personally know of people who are on from 170-280mg. I'm not bragging, I am simply stating the truth.
95% of the people will mix drugs w/methadone? That is ridiculous. Where did you get that data from?
Most people will relapse because this is part of the "addiction process"? That is simply untrue. You might have a problem telling that to the hundreds of thousands of addicts who have NOT relapsed. Again, where are you getting your research?
Then you said that methadone is now being used for "every addiction". No, it isn't! It is used for "Opiate" addiction.
Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but when we state facts, let's get the facts straight please.
It is because of many people who go around spreading their own perception of methadone and the truth about it and calling it the truth that starts all of the bad publicity that comes with it. Many people believe simply because it is written. It's simpler than finding out the truth.

Methadone was brought to the US in 1947 and commercial production was introduced by US company Eli-Lilly, so obviously, Methadone has been used well over 50 years....in fact, nearly 60 years.
As I said, I truly am sorry. But if the truth is going to be told, please make sure it IS the truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi State Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'To-go cup' bill passes late in session, heads ... Wed Woof 21
Plexus Slim and Accelerator has helped me lost ... (Oct '11) Apr 26 Samcity88 71
News A musical life: Professional guitarist shares w... Apr 21 Ann Marie 1
News Bound for Biloxi: Bulldogs make first-ever stop... Apr 21 Shery 1
Where is the best pharmacy (Sep '13) Apr 18 Its gottabeme 7
News Houston driver's license office closing (Oct '12) Apr 18 casecaise 8
help our jewish brothers Apr 7 BUD PRESCOTT 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mississippi State Mortgages