George County firefighter faces arson...

George County firefighter faces arson charge

There are 13 comments on the Hattiesburg American story from Mar 23, 2010, titled George County firefighter faces arson charge. In it, Hattiesburg American reports that:

A George County firefighter has been charged with starting the fires he was supposed to be fighting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hattiesburg American.

A concerned person

AOL

#1 Mar 23, 2010
Sometimes a person does something that is wrong because of pressure of family life gets to them. not saying its right but lucedale is a small town and now more pressure is on by preers of the town. and this adds on to what life has dealt him. If you havent done nothing wrong and are perfect Please throw the first stone.
JustSaying

Hazlehurst, MS

#2 Mar 23, 2010
I'll have to remember not to set the world on fire the next time I feel stressed LOL!
scoop

Pinola, MS

#3 Mar 23, 2010
Lets see; I can throw a stone at bank robbers, adulterers, fornicators, arsonists, murderers, burglars and other crimes because I have done none of that. I can't judge speeders too harshly though because I do go a little over sometimes.
JustSaying

Hazlehurst, MS

#4 Mar 23, 2010
scoop wrote:
Lets see; I can throw a stone at bank robbers, adulterers, fornicators, arsonists, murderers, burglars and other crimes because I have done none of that. I can't judge speeders too harshly though because I do go a little over sometimes.
LOL!
Scoop

Pinola, MS

#5 Mar 24, 2010
I was told today that they get paid for fighting fires or at least some compensation. I don't know, I thought it was voluntary. Maybe that was the motive if true.
I SHOULD KNOW

Petal, MS

#6 Mar 24, 2010
Scoop wrote:
I was told today that they get paid for fighting fires or at least some compensation. I don't know, I thought it was voluntary. Maybe that was the motive if true.
Yes they are compensated a small amount every time they respond to an incident. I don;t remember if the individual is paid directly, or if his/her department gets it.

As for the first comment (at top), that is plain silly. Personal issues is NO justification for starting fires, or committing any other crime. There are plenty of other outlets for frustration, and none of those involve destroying someone else's property.
Scoop

Pinola, MS

#7 Mar 24, 2010
True
JustSaying

Hazlehurst, MS

#8 Mar 24, 2010
No, I dont believe the vol. fire fighters get paid anything. I believe the funding for the fire dept itself gets increased. The more fire calls a dept. makes, the higher the funding. I could be wrong though.
Scoop

Pinola, MS

#9 Mar 24, 2010
When I was one, it was strickly voluntary. I'm not sure how they got it now. That was when there were only five depts.
my opinion

Jackson, MS

#10 Mar 25, 2010
Volunteers in George County do not get paid no matter how many calls they go on...it is all volunteer and the department does not get paid either...the county pays for their equipment and such..but their service is voluntary
unknown

Waterloo, Canada

#11 Apr 4, 2010
Scoop wrote:
No volunteer fire fighters do not get paid. Hence the volunteer part. He was most likly doing it for the adrunolin rush.
Scoop

Pinola, MS

#12 Apr 4, 2010
Sounds probable, maybe he liked to see the lights and hear the sirens as when he was a kid.
unknown

Waterloo, Canada

#13 Apr 4, 2010
Im a volunteer firefighter myself so Im pretty sure of what his reasoning was. Though I understand it I don't agree with it. Were supposed to be helping our community and protecting it not putting it at risk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi State Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sales tax revenues slip in region 5 hr Raises 22
News Victim in critical condition following 5th Stre... Jan 17 Ontheclock 18
News Jennings, Willie Jan 4 The Answer Is Yes 8
News 2017: Year in review for Starkville and Oktibbe... Jan 1 Truth 3
Review: Plexus Slim by Sue Hollis (Oct '11) Dec 29 Bren 492
News Ask Rufus: Newspapers, a window on the past Dec '17 Classified info 6
News 2019 3-star WR Jordan Jernigan commits to Ole Miss Dec '17 Streak phart 41

Mississippi State Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance