Crop duster crashes, rookie pilot dies

Crop duster crashes, rookie pilot dies

There are 37 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 16, 2007, titled Crop duster crashes, rookie pilot dies. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A pilot in his first year on the job was killed when his crop dusting plane crashed, his employer said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Clutch cargo

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jul 16, 2007
I'm surprised there aren't more of these crashes in this line of work. Pretty dangerous job will little room for error. Keep your tips up.

Since: Jul 07

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Jul 16, 2007
I thought about doing this. It is a dangerous job and doesnt pay particularly well either. Wasnt worth it to me.
Displaced Texan

League City, TX

#3 Jul 16, 2007
God Bless this guy, and his family.
Dusty

Monon, IN

#4 Jul 16, 2007
I am surprised more do not crash or hit power lines. This seams to be a very dangerous job.
Sadie

Pasadena, MD

#5 Jul 16, 2007
My son is a pilot. A lot of people think that it is dangerous to fly. When you plot on a graph the number of plane crashes to the number of auto crashes, the car crashes far out weigh the plane crashes.
What makes flying dangerous is the mere fact that when a plane crashes, more people are injured or killed and the crash itself usually takes out homes, or business' and other defenseless people.
Just like driving on the interstate at 80 miles an hour in rush hour traffic...if you make an err in judgement while driving someone will pay the price.
Aim High

Palo Alto, CA

#7 Jul 16, 2007
Concerned wrote:
Where were his parents???
Grow up
Stall Speed

United States

#9 Jul 16, 2007
Sadie wrote:
My son is a pilot. A lot of people think that it is dangerous to fly. When you plot on a graph the number of plane crashes to the number of auto crashes, the car crashes far out weigh the plane crashes.
What makes flying dangerous is the mere fact that when a plane crashes, more people are injured or killed and the crash itself usually takes out homes, or business' and other defenseless people.
Just like driving on the interstate at 80 miles an hour in rush hour traffic...if you make an err in judgement while driving someone will pay the price.
I saw a car's motor stop once. The car coasted to the curb. All were fine. What happens when a plan's engine stops?

I also once saw a car's tie-rod break while driving down the road. The wheel flipped 90-degrees to travel and the car skidded to a halt. All were fine. What happens when an airplane's wing breaks?
Bottomfeederfind er

Marion, IN

#10 Jul 16, 2007
Stall Speed wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a car's motor stop once. The car coasted to the curb. All were fine. What happens when a plan's engine stops?
I also once saw a car's tie-rod break while driving down the road. The wheel flipped 90-degrees to travel and the car skidded to a halt. All were fine. What happens when an airplane's wing breaks?
You need an "all-growed up" picture of aviation. If flying were as you describe, the history of aviation would be limited to a photo of a pile of wood and cloth taken on a beach in 1903.

Go to a local small airport and ask for a flying lesson. You can ask all the questions you want, then, and you might just decide to go flying that day yourself.
B L 43 FAN

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jul 16, 2007
Aim High wrote:
<quoted text>
Grow up
THANK YOU!!!
Crop Dusting is great

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jul 16, 2007
[edit] "... off the coast of Bolivia"
On March 29, 1995, during congressional hearings on the US War on Drugs, Burton proclaimed that the US military should place an aircraft carrier off the coast of Bolivia and crop dust the coca fields. It was later pointed out to him that a) Bolivia is landlocked and has no coast (Burton was chairman of the Western Hemisphere Subcommittee); b) the Bolivian coca fields (in the yungas and Amazon lowlands) are beyond the reach of any carrier-borne crop-duster, being separated from the nearest coastline (the Pacific coast of Peru and Chile) by the 20,000+ feet high peaks of the Andes; and c) F-18s cannot crop-dust. While criticism of this mis-statement was muted in Washington, it sparked a major anti-American backlash in Bolivia, derailing the same War on Drugs that Burton purported to be speaking for.[29][30]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Burton
Teach Your Children

Columbus, IN

#13 Jul 16, 2007
Go Organic and don't eat food that comes from dusted fields.

Since: Jul 07

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jul 16, 2007
Bottomfeederfinder wrote:
<quoted text>
You need an "all-growed up" picture of aviation. If flying were as you describe, the history of aviation would be limited to a photo of a pile of wood and cloth taken on a beach in 1903.
Go to a local small airport and ask for a flying lesson. You can ask all the questions you want, then, and you might just decide to go flying that day yourself.
That is a good idea. I started flying in 1987. I have not been flying in a few years due to the cost (other responsibilities). Flying is such a great experience. I am going to go to the airport this week and start working on my ratings again.
Bobby

Nashville, IN

#15 Jul 16, 2007
Odd. My brother and I were just talking about this as they flew over his house in Tipton. He said the average life expectancy is 11 years for people in this profession.
jay

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jul 16, 2007
It's lucky he didn't crash into any houses. The crop duster that has been flying by us flys only about 30 feet above the houses and then loops back around and weaves in and out of the power lines. I wish he would stop flying so close to my house
Leftcoast Grad

Chino Hills, CA

#17 Jul 16, 2007
Walt F wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a good idea. I started flying in 1987. I have not been flying in a few years due to the cost (other responsibilities). Flying is such a great experience. I am going to go to the airport this week and start working on my ratings again.
Be sure to get a refresher physics course on two solid objects occupying the same space at the same time. It's one of the prime causes of crashes.
pointing out idiots

Louisville, KY

#20 Jul 16, 2007
jay wrote:
It's lucky he didn't crash into any houses. The crop duster that has been flying by us flys only about 30 feet above the houses and then loops back around and weaves in and out of the power lines. I wish he would stop flying so close to my house
Move your house. What the hell do you expect these people to do? They have to fly in such a way to get all the product on the most area of field possible. Sheesh!!!
Deadeye

Burnsville, MN

#21 Jul 16, 2007
What if he crashed into a trailer park ??? think about that. Then, think that instead of crashing, he sprayed pesticide all over the trailer park.
jay wrote:
It's lucky he didn't crash into any houses. The crop duster that has been flying by us flys only about 30 feet above the houses and then loops back around and weaves in and out of the power lines. I wish he would stop flying so close to my house
Stall Speed

United States

#22 Jul 17, 2007
Bottomfeederfinder wrote:
<quoted text>
You need an "all-growed up" picture of aviation. If flying were as you describe, the history of aviation would be limited to a photo of a pile of wood and cloth taken on a beach in 1903.
Go to a local small airport and ask for a flying lesson. You can ask all the questions you want, then, and you might just decide to go flying that day yourself.
The intent was to illistrte that when it goes bad in the air, it goes REAL BAD.

As those boys learned on that beach in 1903, air flight is UNSTABLE. So without proper control, people are in DANGER.
Captain Chaos

Louisville, KY

#23 Jul 17, 2007
Stall Speed wrote:
<quoted text>
As those boys learned on that beach in 1903, air flight is UNSTABLE. So without proper control, people are in DANGER.
Ohhhh! I didn't realize we were in DANGER until I saw the extra emphasis of your capitalization! Iíll bet you also feel in danger from all of those big trucks driving on the highway with sleepy drivers. I've got it! Let's ban sleeping! Now we're all safe. Speaking of UNSTABLE, we should also control people who are nuts and then no one will get hurt.(You are scheduled to report to the closest mental health facility for your mandatory test.) By the way, your mommy is calling to tell you dinner is ready: You'll feel better after you eat your hot pocket.
a freind

Baytown, TX

#24 Jul 17, 2007
Why dont you save your agruments and stupid remarks.. there are people such as myself who knew this person.. and hearing people complain and trying to compare the crash to anything else is rediculas.. a young man is dead.. and you all want to argue about it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mishawaka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Payne gets new trial in triple homicide (Sep '06) Sun IamTerriffic 24
Review: AAA Mattress & Furniture (Nov '09) Oct 4 Concerned consumer 57
News Report: Freeze Terre Haute fire spending for a ... Sep '17 union work force 49
NBC made a big mistake on replacing Dan Hicks w... Sep '17 Local 1
Mike Tirico should NOT be play-by-play announce... Aug '17 Local 3
Monster Under My Bed LA Art Pop Culture Studio ... Aug '17 EON 1
News Vigo schools predict smoother start to '17 Aug '17 iloveblackyogapants 4

Mishawaka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mishawaka Mortgages