A few recruiting notes

Aug 29, 2012 Full story: The Indianapolis Star 133

Fishers senior guard Jaylon Brown has a top five list of schools he's considering: Evansville, Miami , Ohio, St.

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#1 Aug 30, 2012
[An excerpt]

Greensburg forward Sean Sellers (2014) picked up his first offer from IUPUI. He is planning an unofficial visit to Morehead State on Sept. 7.

[End of excerpt]

These schools are a far cry from the attention he was getting from Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Michigan, and Nebraska.

Take this perspective from a Greensburg alumni who would love to see nothing more than for the Pirates to win a state championship ... Greensburg shouldn't have won the last season's sectional game with Batesville. Sellers got to the free throw line on junk calls. Greensburg lost the next game to Brownstown Central because Sellers didn't get those junk calls.

He'll have to do more this year to display talent than jump into a defender's outstretched arms to draw fouls. The scouts are seeing through that charade and I suspect the referees will, too.

I really wish Sellers could see some footage of how Bob Barker made deliberate movement on the court without wasted energy, and how Vince Netherland had the intelligence to anticipate the flow of the game. Vince always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to pick up loose balls and rebounds, and in doing, had a great transition game.
Bronco456

Willowbrook, IL

#2 Aug 30, 2012
Recruiting 101 - Promote Yourself

You’re young, smart and hard working so don’t be lazy when it comes to being recruited. Take responsibility for getting recruited!!
Don’t wait for college coaches to find you or others to help you. It won’t happen. To get recruited means YOU and YOU ALONE have to do it. Don’t fall for what too many others fall for…. Posting a profile on a web site or “being scouted” by some former athlete doesn’t get you in front of college coaches nationwide. Only promoting yourself to every coach at every school where you qualify academically will get you recruited and give you choices.
Use a web site that gives you the tools to do it all. RecruitU2. With RecruitU2.com everything a coach needs to see comes from you – profile, videos, cover letter and pre-selected schools where you can actually get in academically. All of this information goes to the email address of the coach, each personalized to the coach’s name and comes from YOUR email address with no reference to RecruitU2. One click and a letter and information from YOU to each coach individually. There is no better way to introduce yourself to every college coach nationwide than through RecruitU2.
We’re not kidding, we’re not pulling any punches and we’re being as direct as we possibly can. You put in the effort, use RecruitU2 and you WILL get recruited. Period. No other web site in the U.S. does what we do. Be smart, be pro-active, take responsibility, put in some work and you’ll get recruited, get financial support and enjoy your college playing career.
www.RecruitU2.com
Gateway

Batesville, IN

#3 Aug 30, 2012
Nopo wrote:
[An excerpt]
Greensburg forward Sean Sellers (2014) picked up his first offer from IUPUI. He is planning an unofficial visit to Morehead State on Sept. 7.
[End of excerpt]
These schools are a far cry from the attention he was getting from Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Michigan, and Nebraska.
Take this perspective from a Greensburg alumni who would love to see nothing more than for the Pirates to win a state championship ... Greensburg shouldn't have won the last season's sectional game with Batesville. Sellers got to the free throw line on junk calls. Greensburg lost the next game to Brownstown Central because Sellers didn't get those junk calls.
He'll have to do more this year to display talent than jump into a defender's outstretched arms to draw fouls. The scouts are seeing through that charade and I suspect the referees will, too.
I really wish Sellers could see some footage of how Bob Barker made deliberate movement on the court without wasted energy, and how Vince Netherland had the intelligence to anticipate the flow of the game. Vince always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to pick up loose balls and rebounds, and in doing, had a great transition game.
I can't believe you would use this forum to disparage a 16-17 year-old high school student. Get a life!
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#4 Aug 30, 2012
Yes. I did use this forum, but not to disparage a 16-17 year old as you say. The game, is the game. We've all seen the great ones come and go, and we remember what they did to leave a distinctive mark on our memory.

Yes. I remember, though I was very young, that Barker was a special talent. He had some disciplined offensive moves that enabled him to gain advantage over a defender. He did things without the ball that made him an effective team player. And from what I've read (later) he surprised even himself. He was content his junior year to just make the team and became a starter at mid-season. He was unsure that he could compete at collegiate level, but found that he could.

When you've seen excellence, then it becomes the measure by which others are compared. Sellers already has a two-year advantage in varsity experience over Barker, but his game will have to mature or he's not going to be called a "top-notch" state prospect much longer.

By the way, Rick, do you want to know what was Barker's defining moment as a Greensburg Pirate? Greensburg had played Shelbyville twice and were beat both times during the season. Madison had Willie Humes and they had also beat the Pirates.

Greensburg faced Shelbyville in the afternoon game of the 1967 Columbus regional. They fell behind by 13 points midway through the third period and began to mount a comeback. Greensburg caught Shelbyville with about a minute left in the game, then went ahead (and won) by a point when Larry McCamment hit two free throws with abut 30 seconds left.

That night against Madison, the game was nearly identical except that with less than a minute remaining, Greensburg went up by a point. Madison went down the court and Humes scored to give them the lead. Greensburg didn't call a timeout. It quickly inbounded, brought the ball down-court and dished it to Barker on the wing.

With about 20 seconds remaining, everyone in the building thought Barker would call a timeout to set a play. He surprised everyone ... even the WTRE radio announcer ... by going up with a perimeter shot. He drilled it in a big-time way that only a confident, mature player could against a "top-notch" competitor.

What gave Barker that confidence? After the high school practices, I remember watching Greensburg's starting five scrimmage against adults (mostly area teachers) that had high school and college playing experience in their own right ... when they were still in their late-twenties and still very capable of getting on the boards and running the length of the court. Believe me ... these adults (Keith Greve, Howard Wilkison, Mr. McClain, etc.) played it the way they knew how to play and didn't cut those high school kids (Bob Barker, Steve Chitwood, Larry McCamment, Bob Delay, and Vincent Herbert) any slack.

Barker averaged 24.5 points his senior season and only made "honorable mention" for the Indiana all-star team. Southeast Indiana isn't respected by high school basketball circles. Compare Barker's performance to some of the mediocre talent we've seen in recent years, who have been recruited by big-time colleges. For example, A.J. Ratliff was Indiana's Mr. Basketball a few years ago with only a 19-point scoring average his senior year. He went on to play college ball at Indiana, but faded into oblivion. I see others that newspaper writers go "ga-ga" over, that average only 14 or 15 points, as if we are to see them as the "second coming." Baloney. People like Barker had good numbers when there wasn't a three-point line and one couldn't slam the ball in the hole.

THAT took talent and it took mental toughness.

No, Rick. I'm not going to call two-star talent anything more than what it is. If Sellers wants to get back into the big-time college recruiting mix, then he'll have to do more than jump into the outstretched arms of defenders to draw fouls.

Someone needed to say it.
spare us please

Sunman, IN

#5 Aug 30, 2012
nopo how in the heck can fayette enter this discussion. why assume just because gateway challenges your opinion that he/she must be fayette. what a croc. get over the obsession. it isn't attractive.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#6 Aug 30, 2012
Rick (by yet another name)...

I don't give a shit whether it appeals to you, or not.
how about

Sunman, IN

#7 Aug 31, 2012
still not "rick" just think its sad that u chase after him like a lost puppy. drop the obsession. it makes u look foolish and belittles every opinion u share.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#8 Aug 31, 2012
Why don't you quit changing your name and trying to deceive everyone in all aspects of conversation on this forum, Rick? THAT is getting old and lends for others to think you haven't got all your marbles.
how about

Greensburg, IN

#9 Aug 31, 2012
not rick. don't know u. don't want too. i am just tired of ur obsession over fayette, another person that i don't know and just feel sorry for because u are so obsessed.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#10 Aug 31, 2012
how about wrote:
not rick. don't know u. don't want too. i am just tired of ur obsession over fayette, another person that i don't know and just feel sorry for because u are so obsessed.
Then stick it up your ass.
Hoosier Hillbilly

Lynn, IN

#11 Aug 31, 2012
As Clint Eastwood said "A guy can't do that!"
Nopo, believe 'me' when 'i' say all these posters are not Rick. You damn sure know this one isn't!
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#12 Aug 31, 2012
Don't you get it? Fayette has pulled so much crap that his credibility is GONE. And this much is for sure ... he isn't anything about applying reason, as he's ALL about ideology and rhetoric. I have no respect for him.
Hoosier Hillbilly

Lynn, IN

#14 Aug 31, 2012
I'm in the Army now
'i'm do'n all 'i' know how
they put me behind a plow
the ol'black mule 'i' follow
that came out of the hollow
must a ate some'n fowl
cause he just keeps a fart'n
and 'i' surely am a snort'n
he's make'n 'me' sick as hell.
man in the mirror

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Aug 31, 2012
Nopo wrote:
Don't you get it? Fayette has pulled so much crap that his credibility is GONE. And this much is for sure ... he isn't anything about applying reason, as he's ALL about ideology and rhetoric. I have no respect for him.
sounds like u r talking about urself
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#16 Aug 31, 2012
Sounds like myself?

I'm not the one that supports airport expansion without valid reason. I've asked, and so have others, for the economic assessment that backs the language of prosperity the pro-expansion crowd says will surely come.

Gee. Isn't that asking for REASON? Or will you have people to think, Rick (by yet another name), that the request is unreasonable?

Will you tell all the good people of Greensburg they should "trust" the right thing is being done ... "just because?" Or don't you think they deserve due diligence before being committed to a multi-year, multi-million dollar project?

IN MY OPINION, Fayette, you've been screwed in the head!
man in the mirror

Sunman, IN

#17 Aug 31, 2012
how about looking at urself and making some tough decisions about how u live? u r the one belittling and wising posters death for doing nothing more than having a disagreement with u. ur tactics obscure ur message and ur logic. agree to disagree once in a while and quit being the neighborhood bully u might get a lot further with ur logic.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#18 Aug 31, 2012
Let's break this thing down....
man in the mirror wrote:
1. How about looking at urself and making some tough decisions about how u live?

2. U R the one belittling and wising posters death for doing nothing more than having a disagreement with u.

3. Ur tactics obscure ur message and ur logic.

4. Agree to disagree once in a while and quit being the neighborhood bully u might get a lot further with ur logic.
I'll espond to the charges in the same order they are presented....

#1: What would YOU know about how I live?

#2: Posters? How about one egocentric "poster?"

#3: I'm baited, so you can "grandstand" with my response and besides, you REALLY don't want to read logic or else my EVERY post wouldn't be marked as spam, clueless, and nuts.

#4: You confuse "being a bully" with speaking as if "from a bully pulpit." Your bunch don't want some topics of public concern to appear in a public format. If you could, you'd erect a wall around Greensburg to keep the world out.
man in the mirror

Sunman, IN

#19 Sep 1, 2012
Nopo wrote:
Let's break this thing down....
<quoted text>
I'll espond to the charges in the same order they are presented....
#1: What would YOU know about how I live?
#2: Posters? How about one egocentric "poster?"
#3: I'm baited, so you can "grandstand" with my response and besides, you REALLY don't want to read logic or else my EVERY post wouldn't be marked as spam, clueless, and nuts.
#4: You confuse "being a bully" with speaking as if "from a bully pulpit." Your bunch don't want some topics of public concern to appear in a public format. If you could, you'd erect a wall around Greensburg to keep the world out.
1. assumptions. u make them each post. so, i pulled out a page from ur playbook.
2. posters or 'egocentric' poster. i went back and read previous posts. u wished fayette death in a car accident and wilhoit death by heart attack. so, one plus one equals two. egocentric. u can be one too.
3.assumptions again. don't do it and don't know who does. quit make assumptions.
4. bully tactics vs bully pulpit. no. not confused and not a part of a group. i prefer open and honest discussion of public issues with both sides free to respond without personal attack or death wishes. here anyone who disagrees with u is attacked and they drop away. no open discussion here.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#20 Sep 1, 2012
man in the mirror wrote:
2. posters or 'egocentric' poster. i went back and read previous posts. u wished fayette death in a car accident and wilhoit death by heart attack. so, one plus one equals two. egocentric. u can be one too.

4. i prefer open and honest discussion of public issues with both sides free to respond without personal attack or death wishes. here anyone who disagrees with u is attacked and they drop away. no open discussion here.
YOU prefer an open discussion. Ain't that a big croc! Your bunch has done everything to squelch discussion of the airport expansion proposal, to include having people with opposing views kicked off the Daily News forum.

And of course, you overlook the reason I made a special 2012 wish for Fayette and Willie. Perhaps it was because they got terribly offensive in their attacks. Its but another example of baiting so YOU can "grandstand" with my response. Well, grandstand with this ... DROP DEAD!

YOU keep making a point of my 2012 wish. If YOU find it so offensive, then YOU are one of them. So, which one are YOU? Fess up.
Nopo

Wabash, IN

#21 Sep 1, 2012
When is Greensburg's homecoming game?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mishawaka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who wants to Sext? Sep 13 tcarney 3
Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Sep 10 Go Blue Forever 713
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Sep 9 America Lover 96
Rabies shots ordered for 30 people (Oct '06) Aug 24 No one 15
Sex Aug '14 Anonymous 2
South Bend 3rd unhappiest city in study, locals... Aug '14 Hoosier Hell 1
Review: AAA Mattress & Furniture (Nov '09) Jul '14 Shara 24
•••
•••
•••

Mishawaka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Mishawaka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mishawaka News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mishawaka
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••