Mocha Moms holds open house for mothe...

Mocha Moms holds open house for mothers of color

There are 35 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Mocha Moms holds open house for mothers of color. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

A support group geared primarily for stay-at-home moms of color will host an open house on Saturday at Lions Center West.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Whatta Joke

Sylmar, CA

#1 Jan 13, 2010
"A support group geared primarily for stay-at-home moms of color"

I am a vanilla latte momma, can I attend or am I excluded because of color? Isn't this racism? How and why are they getting my tax dollars as funding???
Just a Mom

Colton, CA

#2 Jan 13, 2010
How sad it is that mom's of any color feel the need to judge their sisters for their choices, and how good it is that there are moms willing to step up and support those who might feel alone, judged, or unsupported. Women getting together to support and befriend other women is wonderful.

I acknowledge the article specifically says that this group is primarily geared for women of color because their particular culture is not supportive. I also give a nod to the fact that it does say that all women are invited.

Here's what I don't understand. Why does color matter at all? And specifically what colors is this primarily geared for? Tan, dark brown, mocha? Isn't white a color too? How do you try to be white? Do all white women stay at home in the suburbs? There are no unsupported white moms struggling to get by?

I certainly am making an example of the words we use and the things we do that perpetuate cultural divides based on superficial factors that do not define people. We accuse each other of racism, and then perpetuate it with labels, clubs, schools, scholarships, and resources based on color. When will we start looking past color and accept each other as unique people?
Just a Mom

Colton, CA

#3 Jan 13, 2010
Who said anything about tax funding? Why do you have to make this about money. It says white lattes are invited. Are you not capable of discussing without sarcasm and hostility?
23power

United States

#4 Jan 13, 2010
lol isnt person of "color" a racist outdated term?

are these blacks racist aginst themselves now?

lol

.....groids ....smh***
question

Artesia, CA

#5 Jan 13, 2010
don't you NEED a little of cream in order to make a mocha?
fed up

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jan 14, 2010
Another racist group! When you separate yourself by skin color so will everyone else.
Bi Racial Mom

Riverside, CA

#9 Jan 14, 2010
Just A Mom - you seem to get it!!! I am a mother of bi-racial children and whether people want to beleive it or not, their are cultural differences. I was a member of another chapter of this group and the love and support these women gave me was trememndous. From how to properly care for my childrens hair, to social issues they may face. Conversely, there are similar support groups for white women primarily. There's Moms Club and MOPS and no one seems to be up in arms about that. I belonged to all three of them. "Whatta Joke", your tax dollars do not pay for non-profits. I think it is a wonderful organization and the article specifically said the group is not exclusionary. Now go do the right thing!
Bi Racial Mom

Riverside, CA

#11 Jan 14, 2010
Hunter, are you serious? The point of being a stay at home mom is that you don't have a babysitter and your children are NOT in day care. This group does a lot of charitable and community service events. Furthermore, when you make the CHOICE to stay at home and reduce your family to one income it is a sacrafice. There are no shopping sprees and AMEX cards. There is coupon cutting and bargain hunting. Stay at home moms are the housekeeper, teacher, sitter, cook, gardener and chauffer. Please open your mind. All of those groups have national websites; check them out before you go there.
YeahItsMe

Orange Park, FL

#12 Jan 14, 2010
Whatta Joke wrote:
I am a vanilla latte momma, can I attend or am I excluded because of color? Isn't this racism? How and why are they getting my tax dollars as funding???
You aren't being excluded. They're just asking that you stay at home.
SMH

Warwick, RI

#13 Jan 14, 2010
What you may or may not realize is that will the economy being what it is and the fact that so many newspapers are going under, reported tend to exaggerate their stories to sell papers. I know nothing about this group but after looking up their website, I can see that how the story is written and what it seems like they stand for is a little different. They are not a race based group and they are not just for stay at home moms. I'd like to know how to donate to their cause!!!
Moca Moms Mom

Norwalk, CA

#14 Jan 14, 2010
Whatta Joke wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~
Why is it only considered racist when blacks do something for themselves? Do you consider the Latin Grammys racist? We all live on this planet but we are NOT all alike. Why are we the only race attacked and asked to conform to WASP standards? I attended a Moca Moms event and there were women of all colors there. White, Latina, Indian, even a mom from the Middle East. These are intelligent moms who network to make life better for their families. Productive citizens with homes, families and talent. Isn't that what you want from us? So ...do you know what Blacks do on St Patrick's day..an IRISH holiday? We drink green beer and celebrate with our Irish brothers. Know what we do on Cinco De Mayo? We cook or eat Mexican food and party with our Mexican brothers. Do you complain about those days that are commemorated specifically for those races? We don't and neither should you! Get off your whiny ass and learn to celebrate someone elses culture!!!!
John Q Taxpayer

La Verne, CA

#16 Jan 14, 2010
Hi all you vanilla flavors. For the record, the article did say early on:

"Although the majority of members are black, all mothers are welcomed regardless of race and work status."

So don't get all hurt and make it racist when it's not. Just have a vanilla vagina meeting and call it even, ok?
Where Were They Then

Riverside, CA

#17 Jan 14, 2010
What a lovely group and a wonderful cause!!! I looked at their website and wished that we could have had something like this when I was raising my children. Go Mocha Moms!!!!!
Moca Moms Mom

Norwalk, CA

#18 Jan 15, 2010
John Q Taxpayer wrote:
Hi all you vanilla flavors. For the record, the article did say early on:
"Although the majority of members are black, all mothers are welcomed regardless of race and work status."
So don't get all hurt and make it racist when it's not. Just have a vanilla vagina meeting and call it even, ok?
~~~~~~~~~
LOL @ Vanilla Vagina.
fed up

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jan 16, 2010
Bi Racial Mom wrote:
Just A Mom - you seem to get it!!! I am a mother of bi-racial children and whether people want to beleive it or not, their are cultural differences. I was a member of another chapter of this group and the love and support these women gave me was trememndous. From how to properly care for my childrens hair, to social issues they may face. Conversely, there are similar support groups for white women primarily. There's Moms Club and MOPS and no one seems to be up in arms about that. I belonged to all three of them. "Whatta Joke", your tax dollars do not pay for non-profits. I think it is a wonderful organization and the article specifically said the group is not exclusionary. Now go do the right thing!
Wrong! My children are bi-racial - more like quad racial and we need to stop having groups like this, separating by the color of the skin is wrong, if we don't start teaching that at a young age it will only continue. They face social issues because of groups like this. The Moms club and mops don't care about skin color, they are not "white" groups as you said.
Bi Racial Mom

Riverside, CA

#21 Jan 17, 2010
Fed Up - Why are you afraid of a group that wants to hang out and support each other? Why does it have to be a racial or separatist group? Your children are quad racial? Is one of those races African American? I bet it's not because you would not be so threatened. And you once again have failed to read the text for what it is. I said Momc Club is "white women primarily". Google the Norco chapter and look at their pictures and tell me if it would be a reflection of most of Southern California. It is white women in cowboy hats sitting on bales of hay at a "hoe down". I am a white woman and this does not reflect me or my children!!! Have you ever been walking down the street with your "Quad racial" child and someone yells the "N" word to them. African Americans face different social issues then we will ever realize because it is not our reality.
39ehonor

Indiantown, FL

#22 Jan 17, 2010
fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong! My children are bi-racial - more like quad racial and we need to stop having groups like this, separating by the color of the skin is wrong, if we don't start teaching that at a young age it will only continue.
So, you have ugly biracial mulatto mongrel kids also? lol
camille

New York, NY

#23 Jan 17, 2010
fed up wrote:
Another racist group! When you separate yourself by skin color so will everyone else.
everyone should be separated by skin color.
camille

New York, NY

#25 Jan 17, 2010
fed up wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong! My children are bi-racial - more like quad racial and we need to stop having groups like this, separating by the color of the skin is wrong, if we don't start teaching that at a young age it will only continue. They face social issues because of groups like this. The Moms club and mops don't care about skin color, they are not "white" groups as you said.
Don't get angry at everyone else just because you messed up your life by having "biracial" kids. Racemixing is wrong.
fed up

Los Angeles, CA

#26 Jan 18, 2010
Bi Racial Mom wrote:
Fed Up - Why are you afraid of a group that wants to hang out and support each other? Why does it have to be a racial or separatist group? Your children are quad racial? Is one of those races African American? I bet it's not because you would not be so threatened. And you once again have failed to read the text for what it is. I said Momc Club is "white women primarily". Google the Norco chapter and look at their pictures and tell me if it would be a reflection of most of Southern California. It is white women in cowboy hats sitting on bales of hay at a " **** down". I am a white woman and this does not reflect me or my children!!! Have you ever been walking down the street with your "Quad racial" child and someone yells the "N" word to them. African Americans face different social issues then we will ever realize because it is not our reality.
Yes they are black, and the only child that has used that word with them was 100% African American, taught to him by his mother. As long as you separate by the color of their skin, you teach it they will live it. My kids don't view people by the color of their skin, they look at people by their actions not skin color. And yes my husband has been pulled over for no reason, except we guess his skin color. And that won't change until we change a child's view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mira Loma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 44 min Brew In 32,746
Review: WARZONE BOXING CLUB 13 hr Steven B 1
tar Feb 16 anon 1
black/ cheese... (Jun '15) Feb 16 anon 6
wsr (Feb '07) Feb 16 iii 48
News In fight against gangs, Ontario has outpaced Po... (Jun '09) Feb 15 BLACKLIVESMATTER 89
Engineering for Kids - OPEN HOUSE Feb 15 Premier-IE 1

Mira Loma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mira Loma Mortgages