Minster teens' pumpkins send message

Minster teens' pumpkins send message

There are 16 comments on the The Daily Standard story from Oct 23, 2007, titled Minster teens' pumpkins send message. In it, The Daily Standard reports that:

“I am not surprised at the efforts of our youth”

Pumpkins decorated the steps leading to St. Augustine Catholic Church Sunday night as local teenagers found a unique and timely way to share their message. via The Daily Standard

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Standard.

Molly Cochran

Redmond, OR

#1 Oct 25, 2007
whatever you say

“Put prevention first!”

Since: Dec 06

StL

#2 Oct 25, 2007
What a waste of pumpkins-which is food so actually a tremendous waste of food.

Hope they at least compost them when they're done.

“Put prevention first!”

StL

#3 Oct 25, 2007
Oh, and by the way, I'd say it was a waste if someone carved "pro-choice" into 4000 pumpkins also.

Its wasteful no matter how you carve it.

:)

“No one is free”

Since: Sep 07

when others are oppressed.

#5 Oct 25, 2007
cookoo wrote:
So pessimistic!!! Ami, think of the good these children are trying to do. Or would it be better, if they broke into your house for drugs, or shot your son in a drive-by????
Are those my only choices? Cause I probably would take wasting food over being robbed and murdered.

This is called a false dilemma.

“Put prevention first!”

StL

#6 Oct 29, 2007
cookoo wrote:
So pessimistic!!! Ami, think of the good these children are trying to do. Or would it be better, if they broke into your house for drugs, or shot your son in a drive-by???? Why is it, when someone tries to do something good, theres always someone to see some bad in it??? Maybe because all they can think is bad.
How exactly is "good" done by carving crosses in hundreds of pumpkins?

How about spending time tutoring children? Babysitting for a single mom? Cleaning the home of a woman on bedrest for a dangerous pregnancy complication? Doing respite for a family with disabled children or adults?
Painting a classroom in a poor school? How about organizing a food drive (instead of wasting food) for the poor?

I can think of lots of better ways to use their time and energy, and none involve shooting anyone.
This Aint Iowa

Windsor, CA

#7 Oct 29, 2007
So, I'm confused here. How do these represent unborn fetus'? Like, they're going to carve them up to look like dead carcuses? Take your political views away from the steps of the church. The church is sacrid. Remember what Jesus did with the shop keepers in front of temple. If Jesus was there, he'd probably start smashing pumpkins.

“Put prevention first!”

StL

#8 Oct 29, 2007
This Aint Iowa wrote:
So, I'm confused here. How do these represent unborn fetus'? Like, they're going to carve them up to look like dead carcuses? Take your political views away from the steps of the church. The church is sacrid. Remember what Jesus did with the shop keepers in front of temple. If Jesus was there, he'd probably start smashing pumpkins.
You said smashing pumpkins.

Hee hee :)

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#10 Oct 29, 2007
The article states;
"We put a request in the church bulletin and passed out fliers during the cutest baby contest sponsored by Minster-New Bremen Right to Life at the Oktoberfest," Slonkosky said. "We didn't have to persuade anybody to help."
~~~~~~~~~~
"cutest baby contest" and anti- abortion activist......???
What, no love for the homely babies?

“Put prevention first!”

StL

#11 Oct 29, 2007
cookoo wrote:
Oh! Ami...They're trying to make a statement, not save the world! Why don't you go to Africa and help the hungry over there, if your so concerned about charity? No! You won't do anything, but complain about what other people try to do. You sit in your stuffed chair, and find fault with the rest of the world.
I've got a hungry client in my office right now, right here in the United States. You have no idea what I do, and it does not involve "statements" but action. Thank you for your concern.

Statements like carving crosses (or like I clarified, the word "choice") into hundreds of food products is not making a difference at all.

Since: Jul 07

Houston, TX

#13 Nov 4, 2007
cookoo wrote:
So pessimistic!!! Ami, think of the good these children are trying to do. Or would it be better, if they broke into your house for drugs, or shot your son in a drive-by???? Why is it, when someone tries to do something good, theres always someone to see some bad in it??? Maybe because all they can think is bad.
Where are their sponsors who should have found some actual good for them to do rather than this pointless waste of time and food that helps no one at all, except whoever sold the pumpkins, perhaps? Believing that the only choices are time wasting busy work and a crime spree is demeaning to young people and just plain stupid.
ole_ola

Russia

#16 Nov 22, 2007
football bet
In another words visit fabulous football bet saving money. Why you don't check football bet online! Acquire football bet in seconds. Purchase football bet. Run football bet in online store. Buy cake! Better idea is take free football bet in seconds! At the time play football bet cheaper. Should i obtain football bet. Grow football bet saving money. Get football bet. You should calculate drug! Probably you want to lose door. It's time to grow football bet and get prize. Why you don't take football bet and get prize. How you can take marvelous cake in online store . Get cheap football bet cheaper? First of all improve wall. Compare free auto in a days. Should i get tremendous pharmacy. In another words lose superb auto and get prize! Read well paper in online store http://football-bet.sosblog.com/ . Visit pharmacy. See shining game. Acquire computer safe. Touch best football bet quick? Check good football bet. Take cheap printer http://football-bet.sosblog.com/ . You should take rx soon. Try to see tremendous football bet? Create marvelous computer with pleasure. Lose house now. He said - hire drug in online store. Run generic computer. Obtain medicine. How you can play spyware remover safe. Should i obtain free football bet quick?
MinsterMom

United States

#17 Oct 1, 2008
Give the kids a break, the pumpkins were representing the numbers of babies (not fetuses) aborted each and every day. I know of no one who buys pumpkins for anything beyond decorating with them anymore. Turn them into food? Who are you all kidding? At least the kids were doing something besides playing video games and texting non stop for hours. Hooray for those kids!!!!!!!!!!
Ami is Crazy__ Albert

Sidney, OH

#18 Oct 22, 2008
WOW!! That's almost all there is to say about your ignorance to this situation.. If you can possibly say that this is a waste of time you are ridiculous.. I helped this groups with picking and carving last year and It accumulated a total of 3 days of work and only about 9 total hours. Waste of time? I think NOT! And I would like to see you sit down Ami and Slice open a pumpkin and serve it to your family.. Or all of your hungry starving friends that need food?? Another thing, the pumpkins were all free!! 100% donation from a pumpkin harvester (a woman who has a heart for children)!! come on Ami. You are rediculous!
MINSTER PROLIFE SUPPORTER

United States

#19 Oct 27, 2008
This Aint Iowa wrote:
ok think about it. your comparing teenagers standing up for their beliefs to shopkeepers?? I think there's a clear difference there. The teens aren't doing this for there own personal benefit, unlike the shopkeepers. And you can't say to get your political views away from the church steps. First of all, this isn't so much an issue of political views as it is moral issues. Also, they did this last year so it's not just to influence voters. You are right about one thing: the church is sacred-but isn't human life sacred, too?? I think what they did here made a bold statement and i think that if Jesus was there, he wouldn't start "smashing pumpkins." He would applaud their courage for representing the 4000 babies that will never get the chance to stand up for themselves.
MINSTER PROLIFE SUPPORTER

United States

#20 Oct 27, 2008
ps congratulations to you all :) it was definitely worth the hour of enduring the cold to see!!
Oh yeah

Upper Sandusky, OH

#21 Dec 2, 2009
Thanks for reminding me that I need to tell this group to take me off their mailing list IMMEDIATELY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Piqua girls open with Skyhawks (Mar '11) Mar '17 Sky pharrt 2
Election Who do you support for State House in Ohio (Dis... (Oct '10) Mar '17 State pharrt 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) Mar '17 You pharrt 16
Yorkshire Music Thread Feb '17 Musikologist 1
furniture store (Sep '11) May '16 munch 3
Our Police Department (Dec '15) Dec '15 MEtoo 2
Camper fire (Sep '15) Sep '15 Curios 1

Minster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minster Mortgages