Farmington school board censures member

Farmington school board censures member

There are 25 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 14, 2010, titled Farmington school board censures member. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Farmington school board will refer one of its members to the Dakota County attorney after an investigation deemed him culpable of data privacy violations, among others.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ricky O

Beaverton, OR

#1 Dec 14, 2010
If I was in that district, I would like to know what is being said by whom behind closed doors. It is a public school district. The public should be allowed to know where and how decisions are being made; not just the easy decisions, but all the decisions. In my opinion.
Don Imus

United States

#2 Dec 14, 2010
YUPPIE VILLE USA, the cops are all pricks too.
Norge

Maple Grove, MN

#4 Dec 14, 2010
Glad to see at least one community in MN that has got some school board members getting elected that have got the guts to stand up to the teachers union and the whole corrupt taxpayer funded scam called public education. Some of the folks in NASA who sent the first men to the moon and back again, and did it several times, grew up going to country schools where there were common classrooms with grade school thru high school mingled. We haven't been back to the moon since, and the teachers unions have taken over education...ask a cop if he believes in co-incidence.
Steve

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 14, 2010
The taxpayer always take it in the rear. I hope all of these "public servants" and their lawyer are sent packing, next election.
stan

Cambridge, MN

#6 Dec 14, 2010
School administrators basically think they are better than everyone else. This gives them a sense of privledge that leads to corruption. At least school board members can lost election. It's almost impossible to fire school administrators.
Carol

United States

#7 Dec 14, 2010
For anyone who wants to know the truth, here it is: An outsider who only wanted to get truthful information from school administators invaded the good-ole-boy domain, and it wasn't appreciated. He was voted onto the board by a wide margin because he uncovered and publicized the lies being told about a proposed "sportsplex" several years ago that went down in flames after it was exposed what the board was trying to foist upon the people. The people wanted someone who would force this bunch of clowns to be honest to the public. This is nothing but payback, before the new board is sworn in, while the lame-duck board still has the power to make things miserable for him. Period.
George

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#8 Dec 14, 2010
Ricky O wrote:
If I was in that district, I would like to know what is being said by whom behind closed doors. It is a public school district. The public should be allowed to know where and how decisions are being made; not just the easy decisions, but all the decisions. In my opinion.
In other words, WikiLeaks.
scottyg

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Dec 14, 2010
give the guy a break, with some many worse things in the world reall how is this a top story on yahoo news???
dave

Farmington, MN

#10 Dec 14, 2010
Burke has ba??s...good for him, and unions better watch out, there is change comming
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#11 Dec 14, 2010
How is it he can be censured for violating closed school board meetings? I thought all public city council/school board meetings had to follow open meeting laws. What items/issues would the school board be discussing behind closed doors? Sounds like a total lack of transparency to me.
Jim N

Farmington, MN

#12 Dec 14, 2010
Carol, the truth is actually this: Burke has an ax to grind with the superintendent. He could care less about kids and the schools. He has his own personal agenda, and his goal is to be the biggest pain in the neck that he can be while he's in the position. Having board members like him is extremely counter-productive.
Gary

Barron, WI

#13 Dec 14, 2010
Time for a recall petition. Get that idiot out of there!
Barney

Mankato, MN

#14 Dec 14, 2010
Jim N wrote:
Carol, the truth is actually this: Burke has an ax to grind with the superintendent. He could care less about kids and the schools. He has his own personal agenda, and his goal is to be the biggest pain in the neck that he can be while he's in the position. Having board members like him is extremely counter-productive.
Sounds like a good story. Whenever a board member won't conform with the status quo good ole boy club, it's always convenient to say he has an "ax to grind." This board and administration has some severe transparency issues, and the voters know it full well. They thought they were getting some change when the last two clowns were elected, but they conformed quickly and acted nicely as puppets for the big clown everyone knows is driving this embarrasing showboating.
Gary

Barron, WI

#15 Dec 14, 2010
Vikings Fan wrote:
How is it he can be censured for violating closed school board meetings? I thought all public city council/school board meetings had to follow open meeting laws. What items/issues would the school board be discussing behind closed doors? Sounds like a total lack of transparency to me.
There are certain legal, employee, and student issues that must only be discussed in closed session. That is the law that must be followed by all public boards, including school boards, city councils, county boards, etc.
Papa Ratzi

Cresco, IA

#16 Dec 14, 2010
Burke is an arrogant egomaniac. What a great example for students.
who cares

Lakeville, MN

#17 Dec 14, 2010
Carol wrote:
For anyone who wants to know the truth, here it is: An outsider who only wanted to get truthful information from school administators invaded the good-ole-boy domain, and it wasn't appreciated. He was voted onto the board by a wide margin because he uncovered and publicized the lies being told about a proposed "sportsplex" several years ago that went down in flames after it was exposed what the board was trying to foist upon the people. The people wanted someone who would force this bunch of clowns to be honest to the public. This is nothing but payback, before the new board is sworn in, while the lame-duck board still has the power to make things miserable for him. Period.
You still can't violate state law, and the county attorney should prosecute this idiot.
Breezy Guy

Verona, WI

#18 Dec 14, 2010
I agree that Burke is a first class jerk...he had not really accomplished anything.
Silver Spoon

Barron, WI

#19 Dec 14, 2010
Papa Ratzi wrote:
Burke is an arrogant egomaniac. What a great example for students.
True, but they probably aren't even aware of him.
Look It Up

South Saint Paul, MN

#20 Dec 14, 2010
Vikings Fan wrote:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ope...
You can look it up. Page 7 answers your question. Page 7 describes the penalties.
Louverne

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Dec 15, 2010
Burke is fighting a bully. Farmington has a superintendent that retaliates against anyone who disagrees with me. You talk about roles models for the kids - do we really want someone like leading our schools? The sad part is that several members of this board ran on the solving the issues with the administration, but were soon indoctrinated to the superintendents way to running the show. While Burke clearly isn't the most upright in the way he handles the situation, at least he doesn't back down to the bully!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Salon Entourage Feb 5 Anonymous 1
Obama Dec '16 Obama would have WON 1
News Fired nurses accuse Fairview Southdale Hospital... (Jul '08) Dec '16 Linda 106
Beat Mn Pass with Goober rider Dec '16 Ellison ISIS Muslim 9
News 1 person injured in 2 a.m. shooting at St. Loui... Dec '16 Drumpf 2
Trump saves 1000 jobs Nov '16 Obamas comments 1
OSU Shooter was Sam Olie stabber Nov '16 Obamas comments 1

Minnetonka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minnetonka Mortgages