Farmington report hints at tensions i...

Farmington report hints at tensions in schools

There are 81 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 27, 2010, titled Farmington report hints at tensions in schools. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A Farmington school staff member was told to delay giving district information to a school board member who has long criticized administrators for a lack of transparency, according to an investigative report released Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
proof is in the pudding

Lakeville, MN

#84 Dec 31, 2010
Educated Farmington Man wrote:
Look, while the administration in Farmington has mishandeled some things recently we need to look at things from a larger prospective...
1. Brad Meeks has done some good things. Like expanding the budget, it was pitiful when he took over.
2. He has good foresight. He saw that the district was growing at a pretty quick rate and recognized that a new schol needed to be built, not because the old buildings lacked in quality, but because they lacked in space needed to hold a larger amount of students. For those of you who think that the location of the school is poor, let me remind you of how crappy the location the city wanted it. Highway 3. Are you kidding me!? A Farmington student DIED driving on that road. Let's use our brains here...
3. While there was (and apparantly still...) some controversy about the sports and wellness center, there were good intentions behind it. Look at what is in Farmington. A McDonalds, an Econo Foods, a few banks, a pitiful downtown with crappy restaraunts (my favorite was Bugaloo's and it closed :(...) The sports complex would have generated some revenue that the city AND school could both use. Look at the Lifetime in Lakeville, there are always people there!!!
4. There was definitely not as much controversy within the district before Mr. Burke came into play. He has caused nothing but headaches. While I respect that there are always two sides to every issue, there is a right and wrong way to bring about your ideas. He has done them in the WRONG way. He needs to act his age and stop pouting when he doesn't get his way.
5. As for tax payers' dollars being mishandled... Theresa, I bet you were one of the parents who voted (if you are a parent in this district...) no on the second referendum. If you did, you would have misspent your tax dollars. The building was already built, and by voting no, the distirct wouldn't have been able to open the facility. They already spent your money, so by not letting them open up the building... I hope you can put that together...
I think the real issue within the district is classic. We have a new wave and new thinking administration headed by a man who is stubborn, but wants to do what is best for the district. We also have a... I feel like tyrant is too bold... We have an outspoken man who has no social skills, serving a publicly appointed position. Mr. Burke is also very stubborn. It's time for the two (Brad and ol' Timmy boy) to hash it out like men. If they both want what is best for the district, then surely they can come to some sort of an agreement.
SOME points are valid and I was one of the parents who would have loved the sports complex. But having a school district manage this would have been a disaster. The 2 items for any city that loose money are pools and ice. Most school districts can't manage money very well, the amount of referendums are proof. Putting the district in charge of a sports complex would be like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.
Farmington needs something, but the school district is not the answer. The city needs to step up, clean up downtown, Hwy 3 and build something to bring in people. Hotel, resturants, stores, etc.
This is a nice community but the growing pains are tough. Time to step up for both city and school district.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Natives should land this prize Sep 12 Looters rob 1
Liberals sending a million to Houston Sep 7 Dynamic vetting 1
Statement of the week Sep 4 Bad COP No dognut 2
State Fair may be sued Sep 4 Bad COP No dognut 3
Texans LOVE Trump Aug 31 Dynamic vetting 2
Canada supports Nazis Aug 23 Dynamic vetting 1
Hillary's skin crawled from Trump Aug 23 Dynamic vetting 1

Minnetonka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance