Farmington report hints at tensions in schools

A Farmington school staff member was told to delay giving district information to a school board member who has long criticized administrators for a lack of transparency, according to an investigative report released Monday. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Sleeper

Maple Grove, MN

#1 Dec 27, 2010
Seems like Burke wants to make sure the taxpayer's money is being spent appropriately and the district does not want to show where the money has been spent. Let's see the information!
St Paul Board of ED

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 28, 2010
The same thing is going on in St. Paul with Silva. It is too bad we don't have a school board member who will expose this.

Doug Belden should report what is happening, but he is dependent on what the senior administration feeds him, as it is a very controlled message they give him.
Mr Burke

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Dec 28, 2010
Mr. Burke is a nut job. They ran him out of town in Fargo when he was on the city council . And if people knew all the things he has done on the school board they would run him out of town here.
PITA

Owatonna, MN

#4 Dec 28, 2010
I didn't read the entire arrticle, but my guess is that the guy is assumed to be a mega pain-in-the-axx (PITA). He may very well be!! HOWEVER, before you dismiss him, I recommend you listen to his rants, PITA's quite often actually have some valid points. Just think what they could change if they presented their thoughts in a progressive/proactive manner vs. diminutive and derogatory methods!!
Brodie from Shakopee

Shakopee, MN

#6 Dec 28, 2010
PITA -

I think the first thing people do when they don't want to do something especially in politics is attack character. It was difficult to understand in the story, but my guess is school districts are not interested in sharing information in a manner their not used to :)

I wish we had total transparency. If you work for a public school, then I think taxpayers have a right to know exactly what all employees make. If people want their information private then work in private enterprise.
Hide

Elk River, MN

#7 Dec 28, 2010
What we have here is the public school system trying to hide information that they don't want the public to find out about. The unions have corrupted the school system and there's not many people who are willing to stand up to all the corruption. It's time we all stand up and fix all the problems with our public school system.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 28, 2010
there is no end to the bickering in Farmington, their schoiols are some f the worse run in the state
NUTSTOU

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Dec 28, 2010
If a document has to be explained, in person, to be put in the proper context, as a School Administrator said: that document is designed to mislead. Burke is on to them, and their underhanded dealings. The Public has the right to know exactly whats happening and the Farmington Schoolm Administration is engaged in a Hugh cover up.
Charles Manson

Maple Plain, MN

#10 Dec 28, 2010
Mr Burke wrote:
Mr. Burke is a nut job. They ran him out of town in Fargo when he was on the city council . And if people knew all the things he has done on the school board they would run him out of town here.
Thank You for your comments Superintendent Brad Meeks
Terry

Mankato, MN

#11 Dec 28, 2010
So the school administrators are "afraid of what he'll do with the information"... This is so interesting. What business is it of theirs what anybody's does with the information? And is it this bad they're afraid the public who employees them is going to find out the truth about the district they fund? I believe an investigation into the admistration's tactics should be conducted. No wonder Burke was frusterated - I would think a board member wouldn't be taunted by having requested information on the district he runs purposely withheld from him. This is unbelievable. This is what happens when you get a corrupt handful of old timers running things for so long. They think they can do anything, and anyone who comes to town thinking he's going to change things will pay the price.
Go see it first hand

Sleepy Eye, MN

#12 Dec 28, 2010
Aren't these school board meetings open to the public? I know both sides are going to be ripped on this site, so if you really want to find out what is going on, go to the next school board meeting? I can't judge who is right or wrong based on a he said/she said article in a newspaper. However, from a historical perspective, I would guess that neither side is 100% right (or wrong). It's hard to tell if Burke is a spinrod that likes to make waves or a genuinely concerned citizen... just as it is hard to tell if the rest of the school board are paranoid schizo's or genuinely concerned that Burke could undermine the progress of the Farmington school district. We will not get any of these questions answered on this forum... so as parents of that district, don't complain about how things are one way or the other... get off your duffs and go to the next school board meeting and check it out for yourselves.
Billy Boy

Sioux Falls, SD

#13 Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for fighting the good fight Mr Burke. Time for these administrators to be held accountable for their actions. They like to spend other peoples money without hesitation.
Curmudgeon

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Dec 28, 2010
Burke may think he has good intentions, but it does appear his ego is a problem also.
Channel 5 guy

Kansas City, MO

#15 Dec 28, 2010
Hasn't everyone figured out government sucks??? Just read today's paper to see how much waste there is and thet have not even started looking into fraud. I have alway said get rid of the "fat and fraud" in all government programs and we would be out of debt in 10 years. But now I am leaning toward getting rid of all government programs!!!!!
American Way

Rock Island, IL

#16 Dec 28, 2010
If the average taxpayer had a clue what is going on in the average MN school district they would be marching on the capitol building....
Info Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 28, 2010
Board Member Elect Tera Lee makes comment and judgement without reading the report, who the heck is electing these people?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#19 Dec 28, 2010
Mr. Burke's issues deal with employee contracts, class sizes, and spending. It seems to me that those are some very critical issues for the Board to deal with, and ones that there ought to be public knowledge of.

It also seems that the Superintendant is afraid that if the information is shared back with the tax payers of the District, that there will be an uproar. Otherwise, why would that information not be made available?

Go Burke!
Not Your Way

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Dec 28, 2010
School spending is completely out of control and Mr. Burke should be cheered for demanding answers. It is just mindboggling (not really) and truly telling of the school administrators mindset in resisting and being offended by Burke's aggressive manner. If this was a private business they'd have been fired already. Go Burke!
Connections

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Dec 28, 2010
So Burke is afraid of having face-to-face meetings, preferring to rant from behind a curtain? Sounds just like most of the right-wing loons on these message boards!
Ms Crabtree

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Dec 28, 2010
oxboro wrote:
there is no end to the bickering in Farmington, their schoiols are some f the worse run in the state
You stated your position with the evidence apparent to the reader.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli schools cancel Jerusalem trip over tension Oct 26 Jeff Brightone 1
Layoffs planned at local Hospitals MnSure Oct 24 Liberal 2
Review: MXT Associates (Aug '11) Oct 23 Kambich 6
Ebola not very contagious Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is stopped by protective garb Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is NOT airborne Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is NOT easy to transmit Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Minnetonka Dating
Find my Match

Minnetonka People Search