Borders to close 4 Minnesota stores in Chapter 11 reorganization

Bookseller Borders, which helped pioneer superstores that put countless mom-and-pop bookshops out of business, filed for bankruptcy protection today, sunk by crushing debt and sluggishness in adapting to a rapidly changing industry. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Feb 16, 2011
Just to harp on the computer book issue. We can all agree there is a wide range of computer technology. But borders (BN not much better) has shelves full of multiple microsoft office and xcel books, and more specialized books are not there--well, whats the point of a superstore if it just has 15 copies of the same books a small store has?

I used to get 30 and 40% off coupons from borders all the time and on more than one occasion I was not able to find a book I was all that interested in.

Also, books are way over-priced. A paperback for $12, a hardcover for $25? Is it any wonder sales are down? I know the publishers drive the prices, and they are losing revenue as well for raising prices rather than reducing costs.
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Feb 16, 2011
Ok, so I worked some numbers. My folks had all sorts of paperbacks that cost 75 cents in 1965. Due to inflation that is the equivalent of $5.22 today. So books have been going up faster than inflation.
mick

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#23 Feb 16, 2011
Screw 'em. Bunch of overpriced crap.
GreatDay

Holly Springs, NC

#24 Feb 16, 2011
All part of the "HOPE & CHANGE"
The economy is crashing and burning, and the dimwit in the White House is trying to convince us otherwise!
Dr Kildare

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Feb 16, 2011
What goes around comes around
TaxTaxTax

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Feb 16, 2011
Government should use the bankruptcy law to relieve itself of union contracts just like Borders did to get out of leases.
g-del

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Feb 16, 2011
the days of selling hat-pins, buggy whips and shoe horns are long gone the big chains can sell this stuff along with books and maps etc.-- plus the TARGETS AND WAL-MARTS pay more wages and also pay higher taxes to support the communities plus cheaper pricing for a better lifestyle for its shoppers-- plus they are located all across the country.
Pat

Dyersville, IA

#29 Feb 16, 2011
TtB wrote:
I live in Woodbury, there's a Borders in Woodbury!?
What rock do you live under? It's in Tamarack Village, clearly visible from Radio Drive.
GreatDay

Holly Springs, NC

#30 Feb 16, 2011
Crusoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I so hoped that a jack a s s would post something like you just did so I could call you a jack a s s, you jack a s s!
The truth hurts...Mr Donut Brain! U big obummer lover!
El Rushbo Fan

Farmington, MN

#31 Feb 16, 2011
No loss, only liberal elites read anyway. I get all my info from Rush and it's more than enough!
hump

Saint Paul, MN

#33 Feb 16, 2011
pretty ordinary bookstores, they did not distinguish themselves in any way, sorry to see them go but not surprised...
Julie

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Feb 16, 2011
burger king is hiring in south st paul
ZED

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Feb 16, 2011
Hmmm wrote:
I am surprised at the Midway one - every time I go there are lots of people in there.
stealing or buying ?- i already know the answer
So Long

Minneapolis, MN

#36 Feb 16, 2011
So long, its been great. Borders helped kill the local book stores and are now falling on their sword. Another nail in the coffin of commercial property in that Midway travesty.
Mr thank god

Minneapolis, MN

#37 Feb 16, 2011
Please a book you read once bought from a cake eater or a slong slurper is a thing of the past.
Sue

Saint Paul, MN

#38 Feb 16, 2011
Please keep the Minnetonka location open! We love the helpful employees there! There must be some way to do it! We have bookshelves literally overflowing with great books from this store.
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

#39 Feb 17, 2011
Crusoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I so hoped that a jack a s s would post something like you just did so I could call you a jack a s s, you jack a s s!

So you long for an excuse to engage in name-calling. Not everybody would brag about that.
Civitas

Minneapolis, MN

#40 Feb 17, 2011
Mr thank god wrote:
Please a book you read once bought from a cake eater or a slong slurper is a thing of the past.
Have you ever read a book, even once?
TtB

Hugo, MN

#41 Feb 17, 2011
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
What rock do you live under? It's in Tamarack Village, clearly visible from Radio Drive.
I avoid that area
Crusoe

Chicago, IL

#42 Feb 17, 2011
GreatDay wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth hurts...Mr Donut Brain! U big obummer lover!
Brilliant reply - you clearly stay at home to devote time to your retorts, and don't go to Borders, and that is why Borders is going bankrupt. This probably means you have a big BIG butt - and this is clearly also Obummer's fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Connections Sep 13 Media 1
Bikes ILLEGAL in New York City Sep 11 Slewer 1
President Obama is Sorry Sep 8 Whats appropriate 1
Green Line train hits pedestrian Aug 28 Slewer 2
Johnson supporter vandalizes bike trail to get ... Aug 26 Alf 1
People we can do better for a fallen officer Aug 25 Free to go home 2
Santorini Tavern closes in Eden Prairie Aug '14 JB SLP 1
•••
•••
•••