Borders to close 4 Minnesota stores in Chapter 11 reorganization

Full story: TwinCities.com

Bookseller Borders, which helped pioneer superstores that put countless mom-and-pop bookshops out of business, filed for bankruptcy protection today, sunk by crushing debt and sluggishness in adapting to a rapidly changing industry.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Feb 17, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Losing the one by my house. Oh well, didn't buy a lot of books there anyway.
Civitas

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Will there be any left in Minnesota? The four mentioned in the article are the only ones I know of in the state.

It's a pity, but as The Dude said, I don't buy much there anyway. Multiply that comment by several thousand and you have the problem in a nutshell.
Hmmm

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

I am surprised at the Midway one - every time I go there are lots of people in there.
Mark

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Too bad, but I hope the one at Rosedale continues operating.
Oppius

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

After shopping there once & getting sticker shock, I went to Amazon and bought the same thing for 45% less. Thats why they are where they are...actual stores cost a lot of money to operate, more so when your in a mall setting...
jlynn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

And Midway in St. Paul loses another store. The Herbergers and the little locksmith/key shop are the only stores worth going into in Midway. If you build it in Midway they will come and then they will leave.

I hope that the new light rail project will bring some much needed revitalization to Midway and get some decent stores there worth going in to.
jlynn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

As for bookstores, I will drive out of my way to shop at local, independent book stores any day.
Huh

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Civitas wrote:
Will there be any left in Minnesota? The four mentioned in the article are the only ones I know of in the state.
It's a pity, but as The Dude said, I don't buy much there anyway. Multiply that comment by several thousand and you have the problem in a nutshell.
Borders in Woodbury is still open.
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

The minnetonka one has a barnes and noble accross the street, and roseville one has the largest BN in the state just down snelling a couple miles.

Somehow, the stores almost never have what I am looking for so I end up ordering online--only BN on snelling has a good computer book selection.

Borders has been pushing the paid memberships pretty hard lately--glad I didn't buy one and end up as an unsecured creditor of borders.
The Dude

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

I recall borders had a nice store on hennepin that closed a couple years ago. Had a very nice computer book selection--probably why they closed it... ;)

But I figured they were losing money like nuts. When I am in a borders, there are usually more store employees than there are customers browsing.
Abe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Could customer service be an issue?

Tried in early Feb. to exchange a book from Borders received at Christmas 2010 and was told that too much time had passed!
St Paul Mom

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

jlynn wrote:
As for bookstores, I will drive out of my way to shop at local, independent book stores any day.
I can tell you this about the Borders at Midway. The clerks there are friendly and helpful. For example, if they don't have a book in stock, they'll order it and either ship it to your house free or to the store and you can pick it up there.

The prices weren't much higher than B & N, and often lower for the books I've found (that I couldn't find at B & N, by the way).

If the local, independent bookstores could carry the variety of books I look for, and at a price I could afford, I would probably shop there, too. Wonderful customer service, if they provide it, doesn't do any good if they don't have and can't get the book you need. As for driving miles out of the way, I'd prefer to be able to order online from a Big Box vendor than waste the gas. Saves me time, money and fuel.

The Borders coffee shop was always full, I ususally had to wait in line bedhind at least one customer whenever I went there, so I find it hard to believe they've been chosen, too, but I do know the Rosedale one was busier.
Plus, they had Seattle's Best Coffee and I'm not partial to the burnt taste of Starbucks.
Polly Dactyl

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Civitas wrote:
Woodbury, unless they closed it previously.
Huge Jazz

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

More and more shopping is going online. I would suppose many more stores will close due to the fact they just can't compete with prices. Sad for the employees.
St Paul Resident

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Sorry to see them go but, I have to agree with one of the above posters who commented about the high prices. In this economy, it doesn't make sense to pay $30.00 for a book that you can order online for almost half that and get it delivered to your door for free.

RIP big-box chains...you put the mom & pops stores out of business now the internet seems to be doing the same to you.
here

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Who gave them money? GE Capital? I bet that is some of the TARP money they got!
Bookie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Borders in Woodbury is still open.
But the section that sold books on; manners, class, dignity, sportsmanship, humility, teamwork and personal hygiene is always empty at the Woodbury location.
Redqueen

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Disappointing...I agree with the poster above who praised the Midway store. They always gave me great, knowledgeable customer service. I hope that the employees get good jobs elsewhere.
TtB

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

I live in Woodbury, there's a Borders in Woodbury!?
Book Reader

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

"Put Mom & Pop Shops out of business???" I think he is referring to Barnes & Noble - they were around long before Borders!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Minnetonka Discussions

Search the Minnetonka Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Wayzata Cougars Jul 19 Cougar Den 3
Minnesota firefighters to search for 2 hikers Jul 13 Bellweather 2
Karen A. Geier Jul 9 John Geier 1
Afton neighbors concerned new sewer system will... Jun 23 Eric Burger 1
BAD LANDLORDS # 1 Mike he owns "MES" Properties (Aug '10) Jun '14 need new home 3
Transportation beat: Sabo joins opposition to S... Jun '14 goose 1
Review: Halvorson's (Jun '11) Jun '14 Sarah 24
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minnetonka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minnetonka People Search