First Prev
of 2
Next Last
duped

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 30, 2011
I'd like to know why this company name has two different spellings (Halvorson's & Halverson's); has apparently been producing quality meat since 1934, but there is no information about them online; and has a toll free number that doesn't work.
Nan

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jul 13, 2011
BEWARE of door-to-door "salesman" claiming to be with a company named Halverson's. He'll flash a badge & want to sell you a meat package at a "special" price. The toll-free number is disconnected & there's only voicemail at the Edina ph.#. Processed claim with BBB, but no response from Halverson's yet...DON'T BUY FROM HIM!!!
MMH

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jul 29, 2011
Nan wrote:
BEWARE of door-to-door "salesman" claiming to be with a company named Halverson's. He'll flash a badge & want to sell you a meat package at a "special" price. The toll-free number is disconnected & there's only voicemail at the Edina ph.#. Processed claim with BBB, but no response from Halverson's yet...DON'T BUY FROM HIM!!!
Oh man. Wish I'd read this two hours ago. Is the product safe? I bought one box of 8 steaks.
Mindy

Victoria, MN

#4 Aug 17, 2011
Nan wrote:
Please let me know what happened. Your description fits the guy we bought steak from tonight to a tee! Was the steak bad or was he trying to access information off your check? Please respond, as we need to know if we should close out our checking account or not.
CRAP

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 1, 2011
So... did anything happen with the steaks you bought? Did you eat them? Were they good? Did you get your identity stolen?
mmh

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Sep 1, 2011
CRAP wrote:
So... did anything happen with the steaks you bought? Did you eat them? Were they good? Did you get your identity stolen?
Yes, we ate 2 of them.
No, they were not good. They were dry as a bone.
I paid with cash, so no identity issues.
Surfs Up

Savage, MN

#7 Oct 19, 2011
We read this too late as well. Salesman arrived yesterday as described. Distracted and very busy husband paid $490 for two cases at supposedly $3 per cut plus 10% sales tax. After I returned home and we had time to figure out the price per cut received, we substantially overpaid. Husband explained to manager that you don't pay sales tax on food in MN. Manager seemed surprised to know that, and the fact that the sales the sales tax in MN is 7.125%. Cancelled check, sent cancellation in writing, called and told them to come back and pick it all up. Haven't heard back.
Andy

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Oct 26, 2011
Surfs Up wrote:
We read this too late as well. Salesman arrived yesterday as described. Distracted and very busy husband paid $490 for two cases at supposedly $3 per cut plus 10% sales tax. After I returned home and we had time to figure out the price per cut received, we substantially overpaid. Husband explained to manager that you don't pay sales tax on food in MN. Manager seemed surprised to know that, and the fact that the sales the sales tax in MN is 7.125%. Cancelled check, sent cancellation in writing, called and told them to come back and pick it all up. Haven't heard back.
Mrs. Surfs Up, this is the manager from Halverson's and I would like to respond. The salesman did indeed charge sales tax to you and your husband. I apologize for that. He is a new salesman from North Carolina and I have spoken with him and corrected that situation. As to you saying your husband had to explain to me MN sales tax that is incorrect. Your husband was speaking with the salesman when he called here. He was very aware of that. They both had very different stories of their talks from just hours before. After the two of them talked your husband agreed with the salesman that the price was fair.$490.00 for $778.00 worth of meat. I could hear your husband using a calculator to figure it all out as he and the salesman were talking. Was your husband distracted and very busy during that conversation also? You cancelled the order and we picked up the meat. Seems to me like we did our job.
The Mrs

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 24, 2012
Unfortunately bought steaks from this company. Meat is terrible. I tried e-mailing (all emails bounced back undeliverable) then called and talked to someone who claimed I am the customer of "Dave" only and "Dave" will need to call me back. Hasn't happened. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.
AML

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 28, 2012
funny - I've always wondered about this company. I live in St Louis Park and often see 2 Halvorsen Meat vans parked nearby a few blocks away. Guess I won't order from them - thanks for the heads up.
JPNN

Pine River, MN

#14 Mar 19, 2012
I was not happy when my wife told me she purchased $165 in meat from a door to door salesmen. The steaks are individually shrink wrapped very well and come in a nice box. I think the price per pound ends up being about $8..The problem is the cuts are injeced with a salt solution and are poorly cut. The tenderloins look good but shrink up to odd shaped golf balls when you cook them and were not tender. They end up steaming on the grill more than anything. They are far too saturated in solution and have an unnatural flavor. I do not like frozen steaks at all and have never bought them, so I don't know if this is a common problem. I may try drying them out in the refrigerator to see if this helps, but it is not even close to the quality/flavor of a grocery store fresh cut. They are supposed to be trimmed very well, but the strip steaks had a large layer of yellow fat, they were tender, but tasted like a cheap steak house special.
Meatman

Chantilly, VA

#15 Mar 21, 2012
Halvorson's is CRAP meat, meat for dogs, re-packaged and sold door to door. It stinks and is the worst tasting meat you'll ever eat. The salesmen smell of B.O. You could find better meat in your dogs kibble. Disgusting!
JJz

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 5, 2012
Just bought some meat from Halversons. Thought it was really good.
Vikes forever

United States

#17 May 7, 2012
Ive boughten from halversons several times and will continue to in the future. Great cuts!
prescoot WI

Hastings, MN

#18 Jun 8, 2012
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mrs. Surfs Up, this is the manager from Halverson's and I would like to respond. The salesman did indeed charge sales tax to you and your husband. I apologize for that. He is a new salesman from North Carolina and I have spoken with him and corrected that situation. As to you saying your husband had to explain to me MN sales tax that is incorrect. Your husband was speaking with the salesman when he called here. He was very aware of that. They both had very different stories of their talks from just hours before. After the two of them talked your husband agreed with the salesman that the price was fair.$490.00 for $778.00 worth of meat. I could hear your husband using a calculator to figure it all out as he and the salesman were talking. Was your husband distracted and very busy during that conversation also? You cancelled the order and we picked up the meat. Seems to me like we did our job.
WELL YOU TOOK A YOUNG SINGLE MOM HER OF $50.00. BUCKS AND CAN NOT GET SALES GUY BACK AKED HIM ABOUT IT SAID WOULD BE HERE OVER AND OVER NO SHOW PRETTY SAID TAKE A SINGLE MOM OF MONEY
prescoot WI

Hastings, MN

#19 Jun 8, 2012
SEND YOU SALES MAN TO GIVE HER HER MONEY BACK NEED A NAME SAID HE WAS YOUR TO SALES NOW WE KNOW WHY
jen

United States

#20 Aug 11, 2012
Just bought some, tell u the outcome after sunday dinner tomorrow.
cgm104

United States

#21 Nov 20, 2012
Yes, my husband was duped as well. We eat lots of fish and try to buy locally. Then, to boot, the steaks were so tough we couldn't eat them.
Mn man

United States

#23 Feb 25, 2013
The van pulled into my driveway and I told the driver I don't want any
He asked if I eat meat and I said I don't want any he then tried the hard sell and when I refused he called me an a-hole
Blaine

Minneapolis, MN

#24 Mar 24, 2013
Guy rang the bell. 5'11", slender to medium,dark brown hair, navy blue jacket, looked to be early 30s.

He said he was from halvorson's and had some chickens and steaks and was looking to see if there were any carnivores in the neighborhood.

I told him, "no thanks, I am not a carnivore" he said,"well thank you for your time" and left.

He had a pea green van parked aways down the block. Last four digits of lic. as well as I could see at a distance are 461.

It seemed odd that anyone would be selling door to door meat, but the encounter was not unplesant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Layoffs planned at local Hospitals MnSure 8 hr Obama the best 1
Review: MXT Associates (Aug '11) 21 hr Kambich 6
Ebola not very contagious Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is stopped by protective garb Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is NOT airborne Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Ebola is NOT easy to transmit Oct 12 Obama the best 1
EbomaCare FAILS Oct 12 Obama the best 1
Minnetonka Dating
Find my Match

Minnetonka Jobs