Analyst cuts ratings on UnitedHealth and WellPoint

Full story: TwinCities.com

A Stifel Nicolaus Weisel analyst downgraded shares of the two largest commercial health insurers today, saying he does not expect the stocks to trade higher in the coming months.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Nov 15, 2010
Bill Gates

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 15, 2010
Once again, good to see new goverment regulation affecting the value of American companies.(See TCF Bank)
Remember, if you have a 401k, IRA, pension plan, etc YOU own a piece of these companies.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#2 Nov 15, 2010
Bill Gates wrote:
Once again, good to see new goverment regulation affecting the value of American companies.(See TCF Bank)
Remember, if you have a 401k, IRA, pension plan, etc YOU own a piece of these companies.
Not necessarily. It depends what plans you have selected for your investments and with this news coming out health insurance companies would not be a company I would invest in at this point. You at any time if having a mutual fund investment can pull up what your money is being invested in and you have the ability to change those investments. Sounds like another scare tactic to undercut the new healthcare reforms......
gdpcon

Plymouth, MN

#3 Nov 15, 2010
Robbie wrote:
<quoted text>Not necessarily. It depends what plans you have selected for your investments and with this news coming out health insurance companies would not be a company I would invest in at this point. You at any time if having a mutual fund investment can pull up what your money is being invested in and you have the ability to change those investments. Sounds like another scare tactic to undercut the new healthcare reforms......
Robbie, I think you're missing the point. The point being, government has no business dictating the degree of 'profitablity' for any industry segment or company. That decision/course is best left to the market. Don't like the company, don't buy the product. Just imagine if there was portability for all carriers, across all products and across all States. Buy only the insurance you need from whomever you want. Do you think you might see better pricing? Sure, but you can't do that because of government regulation. Let's look into why 93% of health care costs associated with health care costs reside within the provider/pharma side of the equation- there in lies your greatest opportunity for cost savings.
Odummercare

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Nov 15, 2010
don't expect Robbie to expect economics...
don't even expect his hired Congressrats to have read the bill.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Line train hits pedestrian Aug 28 Slewer 2
Johnson supporter vandalizes bike trail to get ... Aug 26 Alf 1
People we can do better for a fallen officer Aug 25 Free to go home 2
Santorini Tavern closes in Eden Prairie Aug 13 JB SLP 1
Proposed homeless youth building in Edina draws... Aug 11 cowboy chris 4
Review: Halvorson's (Jun '11) Aug 5 Mmmr 26
Reporter Rusty Gatenby let go at KSTP after DWI... (Feb '14) Aug 4 rusty wantbe 6
•••
•••
Minnetonka Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Minnetonka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minnetonka People Search