St. Paul schools hoping to tap into C...

St. Paul schools hoping to tap into Chinese language boom with Mandarin immersion program

There are 105 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 6, 2011, titled St. Paul schools hoping to tap into Chinese language boom with Mandarin immersion program. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Buried in the fine print of St. Paul's newly published school application materials is a new kindergarten option likely to create some buzz among parents at Saturday's school-choice fair: Chinese immersion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#107 Jan 12, 2011
Another Yinghua Parent wrote:
I find it interesting how people think learning another language will take away from the skills kids learn. In reality at my girls' school, it enhances their education. But, the bottom line is, if you don't want your children to go to an immersion school, don't send them. You do need to look at the numbers though. Yinghua started 5 years ago with a starting school size of less then 100 I think. Now they are reaching the 400 mark. In 5 years. That is pretty good growth. So that shows there is a strong interest in this type of program. I applaud the St Paul Schools for recognizing that and giving their voters what they want. There is room for English only schools along side multiple language schools. We all want the best for our kids and that doesn't follow a cookie cutter model any longer.
Can you imagine ... an "English only school" for American kids? YOu still can take language classes, but basically ..English is what is spoken. WHAT A CONCEPT!
WowIgnoranceInMN

Saint Paul, MN

#108 Jan 12, 2011
There isn't even a large enough Chinese speaking population in St Paul to even try to consider that this is catering to a minority population. In case you people have not realized it yet, China is gaining ground as a World Power, and in a few years will likely stand on equal footing with the US. In a couple more years, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) and English will likely become the most widely and equally used languages for international business. Also if you've even stepped into a public school in St Paul, you would know that there are English Emerson programs built into them.

In a few years, if China continues to grow economically, Chinese will probably be offered in a lot of other public and private schools along with the staples of Spanish, Italian, and French. This isn't catering to the needs of an unyielding and unlearned minority, its an attempt to better prepare the future American generations for what may be an inevitable future.
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Jan 12, 2011
The Big Bopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you imagine ... an "English only school" for American kids? YOu still can take language classes, but basically ..English is what is spoken. WHAT A CONCEPT!
K-12 there are about 70 schools in St Paul. Including this one there are 3 language immersion schools. Thanks for your flexibility.
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#110 Jan 13, 2011
ForReal wrote:
<quoted text>
K-12 there are about 70 schools in St Paul. Including this one there are 3 language immersion schools. Thanks for your flexibility.
So you want more immersion schools? And you want American tax dollars for them too? Thanks for YOUR flexibility in wanting to spend my paycheck!
yakman

United States

#111 Jan 13, 2011
no no no...our best plan of action is to allow states to declare bankrupcy and cancel the unfunded pensions of these freeloaders. Kids in class less? My neighbors are all teachers and their cars are not even gone for 7 hrs per day already...maybe paying them to stay home would in the long run be beneficial to the kids...less harm done...
You could cut the pay of these people by 50% and I'll bet NONE of them would quit as long as they still had three months off! I know teachers who've retired or are even in the family that would absolutely agree!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnetonka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Franken is TOAST Dec 7 FBI Dirty - Trump... 6
National Guard for Super Bowl Dec 6 FBI Dirty - Trump... 1
FBI Dirty - Trump CLEAN Dec 4 Franken is TOAST 1
Toy Train OFF the tracks Nov 30 Franken is TOAST 1
Where have all the Liberals gone Nov 30 Franken is TOAST 1
Fake 35W bridge failure cause Nov 27 Franken is TOAST 4
Speeding Nov '17 Fat short Un 1

Minnetonka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance