'A beautiful victory': Supporters celebrate as Minnesota legalizes gay marriage

May 15, 2013 Full story: TwinCities 156

Kyle Hanson of Minneapolis dances with his daughter Sofie, 6, as his husband, John Stumme, left, dances with their son Henry, 3, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at Ecolab Plaza in St.

Full Story

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#110 May 20, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry I couldn't find the article, despite a genuine effort to locate it. I ran a Google search for the phrase "Garage Logic" plus the keywords Logician, Soucheray, study, graduation rates -- but nothing. Test it yourself -- you'll see how disappointing the results are. Do you have a few more details for me?
Maybe I was looking for the wrong phrase. Correct me if I'm wrong -- your original statement was: "Studies have shown that people who live in high density, urban communities are more easily swayed by emotion versus fact." So that was the type of title I was searching for among the numerous "Garage Logic" articles. Now, you will remember from your MBA course that there is a very specific way in which one cites a source. You normally start by mentioning the author (which you indeed provided), followed by the exact title of the study (usually in quotation marks), and then the publication in which it appeared -- underlined, if one follows MLA rules (along with page numbers)-- followed by the exact year, name of the publisher, and location of publication. That is what enables one to see whether the findings of the article were actually tested by the author's peers in his particular scientific field and accepted as scientific fact.
Now, you will excuse me, but I was not able to find that article to which you are referring because, besides the author's name, I am missing all the rest of the details. Without those, the information is of no value to me because the findings cannot be tested. I am not even sure if it was a real study, or merely an editorial presenting the author's own ideas without any proof to substantiate them.
Please write back when you have located them because I am really interested. You'll understand -- we are both educated people here. If you cannot locate the details of the study yourself, how am I going to find them?
You will have to excuse me, my MBA was earned back in 1976 and quite frankly, I have been disenfranchised with most of the elite in academia ever since. I learned more in my first two years of starting and running my company than I did in the 6 years I spent (and I mean spent) in higher education.
I am surprised you weren’t able to find any information on Mr. Soucheray. He has written for the both the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press in the Twin Cities for over 45 years. Did you try Bing?
You provided nothing with regards to your “analysis” supporting your position at all, nothing! If you were to look, as I pointed out, at the graduation rates of minorities in large metropolitan areas, you will see that for over 40 years they have lagged far behind that of Caucasians. That seems to contradict the comment that large Urban areas are more educated. Unless of course you don’t include minorities in your analysis, which would make you either a bigger elitist or a racist. Which is it?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
jerry

Minneapolis, MN

#111 May 20, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
The "specific topic" is the study he cited. I would love to discuss it -- if I can find the content. Is your sole purpose on this board to ridicule people, or do you actually want to contribute to a meaningful discussion? If so, say something of substance instead of ridicule -- if not, I'll have to ignore you as mere background noise. If you were unregistered I wouldn't even answer you; I'm merely being polite.
Oh, the irony!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#112 May 20, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT is funny. My bad.
Yeah, I thought you would yell at me for NIT picking!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#113 May 20, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I thought you would yell at me for NIT picking!
Nope, but you did it right with putting me in my place. Mea culpa.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#115 May 20, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>You will have to excuse me, my MBA was earned back in 1976 and quite frankly, I have been disenfranchised with most of the elite in academia ever since. I learned more in my first two years of starting and running my company than I did in the 6 years I spent (and I mean spent) in higher education.
I am surprised you weren’t able to find any information on Mr. Soucheray. He has written for the both the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press in the Twin Cities for over 45 years. Did you try Bing?
You provided nothing with regards to your “analysis” supporting your position at all, nothing! If you were to look, as I pointed out, at the graduation rates of minorities in large metropolitan areas, you will see that for over 40 years they have lagged far behind that of Caucasians. That seems to contradict the comment that large Urban areas are more educated. Unless of course you don’t include minorities in your analysis, which would make you either a bigger elitist or a racist. Which is it?
Translation-moronic blather & BS....

Speaking of doing well....

IMMERSION 1 Year Change:+141.40%

Oh, what a beautiful day !!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#116 May 20, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not your discussion -- why do you butt in? Were you able to find the "study" which he/she is citing? That is the whole point of our debate. "Studies have shown ..." he said. What studies? Unless they can be found, and read, and tested, his argument has zero validity. Like the unregistered trolls on here, your response when you don't have logic or reason is to insult and ridicule me. Try using your brain for a change. Think, man, before your run off at the mouth.
You got SL fiqured out down to the tee she's really impolite,vulgar and a name caller after she loses any argument,or get caught in a Lie!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dutch Holland

Podgorica, Montenegro

#117 May 20, 2013
More Homosexaul Agenda..America is SICK !!
Shame on you Pigs!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#118 May 20, 2013
It's sexual, shame on your demonstrated ignorance & stupidity.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#119 May 20, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
You ask if my sole purpose on here is to ridicule people. Yet your response to Niether in Post #25 read:
"And with all that education you still believe that a snake spoke, that humans were made 6,000 years ago in the Middle East, and that a man was able to command the sun and moon to 'stand still' for a whole day?!"
"Don't make me laugh man."
You mock a person's religion and you ask if I am here to ridicule people. GFY.
Let's go back to what I said earlier: Studies show you are a dork.
There was actually some content to that question, as opposed to: "Studies show you are a dork." I repeat my question: Is it your SOLE purpose to ridicule, or have you something else to offer besides the 'dork' insult. You do not even know me. Are you also a christian? Do YOU believe that a snake spoke, or that the earth (or sun, or moon, whatever) stood still for a day? If so, I would gladly hear your defense of your beliefs. But if you are simply going to repeat the dork comment, don't bother -- I won't respond to a mere repetition of what I have already heard.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Sausalito, CA

#120 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>You will have to excuse me, my MBA was earned back in 1976 and quite frankly, I have been disenfranchised with most of the elite in academia ever since. I learned more in my first two years of starting and running my company than I did in the 6 years I spent (and I mean spent) in higher education.
I think we are discussing AVERAGE, which in this case would include minorities, yes. But since the populations are so large, the averages are not influenced excessively by the inclusion of underperforming segments of the population.

Now, as I said to you, show me your studies and I'll show you my statistics. I appreciate your reasoned response -- it's refreshing to discover that we can actually have a civil debate about this, and I will search for that article again, I promise. But I don't want to be doing all the work here :)) See if you can help me find it. You have to admit that the topic has changed slightly -- I thought your point was that "urban populations are more easily swayed by emotion than by fact", but now we are discussing "minorities lagging behind Caucasians in urban areas." That is a totally different subject.

My original point was that populations in America's dense metropolitan areas have on average a higher level of education than the more sparsely populated rural states -- and therefore the Blue states on average higher than the Red states because the former includes areas such as the Tri-State (New York etc.), Chicago, IL, the Bay Area of Northern California (San Francisco etc.), and the LA metropolitan are. The list goes on ...

I think it's pretty clear that the higher level of education people achieve the more liberal they seem to become. Do you dispute that -- and are those the statistics that you would like to see?(Just so that we're clear on what you're asking for).

I have no great desire to debate the performance of minority students versus Caucasians, frankly, because I suspect that you do NOT want to include Asian minorities, but only Blacks and possibly Latinos. That gets into a very race-biased discussion which opens so many cans of worms that we would still be here when our grand kids are ready to attend college :))

Take care.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aids

Saint Paul, MN

#121 May 21, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
Awesome, glad to see yet another domino fall as the old, bigoted, homophobic America disappears and a better, freer one emerges.
Naturally Righties will be crying about this for a long time, as they cried about the end of slavery, the vote for women, the end of official racial discrimination, and the end of 'sodomy' laws.
But who cares? They're disappearing themselves!:)
correction, the homosexual community is disappearing as you read this. It is called Aids, thanks to your own sinful ways.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#122 May 21, 2013
Spaz Case is catching....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Palm Springs, California

#123 May 21, 2013
Aids wrote:
<quoted text>
correction, the homosexual community is disappearing as you read this. It is called Aids, thanks to your own sinful ways.
correction, the intolerant haters generation is disappearing as you read this. It is called old age, thanks to younger kids growing up TOLERANT and non judgmental. Your kind will soon be in its collective muddy grave, your hateful ways not mourned and forgotten as your moldy bodies.

Younger people are coming of age thinking gay marriage totally fine...up to 80% of younger people, most younger people have absolutely ZERO interest in church, and so on. Bye, bye, haters.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#124 May 21, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>correction, the intolerant haters generation is disappearing as you read this. It is called old age, thanks to younger kids growing up TOLERANT and non judgmental. Your kind will soon be in its collective muddy grave, your hateful ways not mourned and forgotten as your moldy bodies.
Younger people are coming of age thinking gay marriage totally fine...up to 80% of younger people, most younger people have absolutely ZERO interest in church, and so on. Bye, bye, haters.
And yet, just the way you describe those who you think hate you shows your distain, some might say hatred for those who have a different opinion than you. On the one hand you ask for tolerance and understanding, yet have little for those who see things differently than you. Just a bit hypocritical.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#125 May 21, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
There was actually some content to that question, as opposed to: "Studies show you are a dork." I repeat my question: Is it your SOLE purpose to ridicule, or have you something else to offer besides the 'dork' insult. You do not even know me. Are you also a christian? Do YOU believe that a snake spoke, or that the earth (or sun, or moon, whatever) stood still for a day? If so, I would gladly hear your defense of your beliefs. But if you are simply going to repeat the dork comment, don't bother -- I won't respond to a mere repetition of what I have already heard.
You have a strange definition of "content". You took dead aim and went after someone's beliefs and mocked him.

My comment contained as much content as yours did. Let me repeat what I said. You are a dork.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Sausalito, CA

#126 May 21, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a strange definition of "content". You took dead aim and went after someone's beliefs and mocked him.
My comment contained as much content as yours did. Let me repeat what I said. You are a dork.
Yes, you've repeated it 3 times now. If that's all you've got you are now out -- I have no further interest in you. Have a nice life.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Palm Springs, California

#127 May 21, 2013
<quoted text>And yet, just the way you describe those who you think hate you shows your distain, some might say hatred for those who have a different opinion than you. On the one hand you ask for tolerance and understanding, yet have little for those who see things differently than you. Just a bit hypocritical.
Oh, snore.

One day your intolerance will be laid beside you in your lonely grave and NO one will mourn the loss of either of you.

And, it's DISDAIN, not "distain".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#128 May 21, 2013
Guy claims education, but shows PURE IGNORANCE....

Under ALL monikers....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“"Always Over The Horizon"”

Since: Dec 11

Waco Texas

#130 May 22, 2013
Aids wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez,I guess it's a good thing that us heteros never get 'AID's" then isn't it? D-U-F-U-S!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 07

Hanover, VA

#131 May 22, 2013
Dutch Holland wrote:
More Homosexaul Agenda..America is SICK !!
Shame on you Pigs!
What do you have against marriage? For many people, it's a blessing.

Was yours that bad that you think anyone forming a legally recognized family - or supporting those who do - are sick?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mall of America Protest 13 min cantmakeitup 15
Minneapolis schools superintendent FIRED 5 hr Ron 9
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr Earthling-1 33,474
Walker Wins Unions Lose (May '12) 20 hr LIbEralS 29
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... 22 hr American_Sons 13
Review: State Wide Protective Agency (Jul '11) 22 hr Martin Scott treptow 84
8 dead in aussie stabbing Fri Space ace 1
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web