Ramsey County Fiber Network: We;come ...

Ramsey County Fiber Network: We;come To The Future!

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Jul 12

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 6, 2012
Fiber-optic networks have been used for decades to transmit large volumes of traffic across the country. The economics of fiber networks have only recently allowed for connecting the fiber directly to the home, creating a fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) network. This is what we encourage for St. Paul.

Fiber is the future. If you are on the Internet, you are using fiber for some portion of your connection. Both DSL and cable modem system networks rely heavily on fiber for parts of their network, but the actual connection to your house (frequently called the 'last mile') uses copper phone lines or coaxial cable lines.

Neither phone lines or cable can offer the speeds we need to remain competitive in the digital economy. DSL over phone lines is limited by distance; the signal degrades for those living more than 1 mile away from the central office. Even for those living close to a central office, the top speeds are not comparable to speeds commonly offered with an all fiber connection.

Cable systems offer faster speeds than possible with DSL (especially those using the new DOCSIS 3 standard) but cable systems use a shared network to cover the last mile. This means all the houses in the diagram to the right have to share bandwidth. In most situations, the loop is shared by hundreds of houses. If a few of them are hogs, everyone's performance suffers.

As more people go online and those online use more and more bandwidth, a shared cable system will not be able to keep up. This is why we support a fiber-to-the-home solution.

Community fiber networks around the country offer faster speeds at prices similar or below the prices we are currently paying for slower speeds. These faster speeds at affordable prices can be a lifeline for smaller businesses that cannot afford thousands of dollars per month for the faster connections available here now.

Much like copper networks installed 100 years ago, fiber networks will be used for decades. This is a long term investment for the city.

Fiber networks are actually cheaper to maintain than cable or copper. Though fiber cables can be cut occasionally by accident - just as cable and phone lines can be cut, well designed fiber networks are redundant. Some cities have gone years without a minute of downtime from fiber cuts.

When strung on poles in an aerial deployment, fiber is generally strung with strong steel cabling that prevents it from breaking even when a utility pole is severed at the base. In Burlington, VT, the fiber network has proven more resilient to utility pole accidents than the electrical network.
Clint

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 6, 2012
How many FTTH implementations use fiber to the PC?

I.E how many fiber networks hook up a fiber cable directly to the PC in the house?

How many houses are cabeled with fiber to each room/PC?

How many "fiber" networks use UTP (copper) from a router in the house to each room in the house?

Can UTP or Coax by installed with "strong steel cabeling"? Offering the same protection these strong fiber installations?

Tell us about how fiber requires a premise battery to keep it operating when power fails?

Do the required batteries need maintenance?

Do the batteries wear out?

Do the battery chargers wear out?

Do UTP and Coax cabeling require a battery in each house?

How many "redundant" fiber installations exist for home connections.

Monticello Minnesota installed fiber and attempted to compete with Coax and UTP and failed. How can UTP and Coax beat a fiber offerring? As you say fiber is faster, less down time, quicker correction of problems etc.. Why arn't Monticello residents clammering to use fiber?

How does ANY wired internet offerring compete with wireless access? Advanced users of the WEB I know are using an Iphone with voice recognition, plethera of apps and mobility fiber, UTP and Coax CANNOT offer.

Many users I know rely on slow by comparison WIFI for all their residential needs. And the WIFI is hooked up to Coax or UTP/DSL. Why recable every house with fiber when UTP and Coax are already installed?

Is this like "Cash for Clunkers" where BILLIONS were wasted by Obama destroying perfecty good automobiles and replaced with new cars and NEW CAR PAYMENTS? BTW the new cars in many cases are not as good as the old ones.

Todi, tell us how fiber is the future, will ya?
Toidi Slayer

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 7, 2012
Clint wrote:
How many FTTH implementations use fiber to the PC?
I.E how many fiber networks hook up a fiber cable directly to the PC in the house?
How many houses are cabeled with fiber to each room/PC?
How many "fiber" networks use UTP (copper) from a router in the house to each room in the house?
Can UTP or Coax by installed with "strong steel cabeling"? Offering the same protection these strong fiber installations?
Tell us about how fiber requires a premise battery to keep it operating when power fails?
Do the required batteries need maintenance?
Do the batteries wear out?
Do the battery chargers wear out?
Do UTP and Coax cabeling require a battery in each house?
How many "redundant" fiber installations exist for home connections.
Monticello Minnesota installed fiber and attempted to compete with Coax and UTP and failed. How can UTP and Coax beat a fiber offerring? As you say fiber is faster, less down time, quicker correction of problems etc.. Why arn't Monticello residents clammering to use fiber?
How does ANY wired internet offerring compete with wireless access? Advanced users of the WEB I know are using an Iphone with voice recognition, plethera of apps and mobility fiber, UTP and Coax CANNOT offer.
Many users I know rely on slow by comparison WIFI for all their residential needs. And the WIFI is hooked up to Coax or UTP/DSL. Why recable every house with fiber when UTP and Coax are already installed?
Is this like "Cash for Clunkers" where BILLIONS were wasted by Obama destroying perfecty good automobiles and replaced with new cars and NEW CAR PAYMENTS? BTW the new cars in many cases are not as good as the old ones.
Todi, tell us how fiber is the future, will ya?
Guess YOU slayed him..
Clint

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Aug 7, 2012
Toidi Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess YOU slayed him..
Didn't mean to damage him, really.

Must have been a broadside SANK!!

Since: Jul 12

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Aug 7, 2012
I only posted this to get Schmahl all amped up.

Fiber and windmills are his two pet peeves, because he doesn't believe in science or technology.

For the record, we'll all have fiber to our homes within the next decade or so. The bandwidth and reliability are unmatched, and the costs are low.

But Schmahl is 69 now - he won't be around to see it. He'll be long since gone to whereever old farts that have become totally irrelevant go to.
Clint

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Aug 7, 2012
Toidi Slayer wrote:
I only posted this to get Schmahl all amped up.
Fiber and windmills are his two pet peeves, because he doesn't believe in science or technology.
For the record, we'll all have fiber to our homes within the next decade or so. The bandwidth and reliability are unmatched, and the costs are low.
But Schmahl is 69 now - he won't be around to see it. He'll be long since gone to whereever old farts that have become totally irrelevant go to.
I guess that's why Monticello residents are so impressed with their new City provided fiber offerring the system has gone broke needing profits from the city booze store to keep the fiber project alive.

The Monticello booze store profits were earmarked for road repair, guess that means the roads in Monticello are in need of repair.

Furthermore Monticello's bond rateing has been downgraded because the town had to default on bond payments associated with the wonderful fiber project.

Maybe the Monticello fiber project is just ahead of its time?

Maybe...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CBS, PBS star Charlie Rose suspended after sexu... 13 min Franken is TOAST 10
Trump on UCLA basketball players: 'I should hav... 1 hr Cat Fan 5
Will This Finish Off The NFL? 3 hr Cat Fan 35
Another st.paul murder 3 hr Franken is TOAST 11
Review: Crestview Property Maintenance 6 hr Bobtheman 1
Cowboy Chris Turned Homosexual (Jul '15) 9 hr FOVR 9
Prosecutors: Boy, 11, smothered by 400-pound st... 9 hr CayCayCrassus 1

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance