St. Paul / Nonprofit Freeport West cu...

St. Paul / Nonprofit Freeport West cuts hours, lays off 5 of 9 employees

There are 51 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 23, 2011, titled St. Paul / Nonprofit Freeport West cuts hours, lays off 5 of 9 employees. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Citing budget constraints, a Minneapolis-based nonprofit agency that serves homeless and at-risk youth has reduced hours at its St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the magic word

United States

#2 Mar 23, 2011
non profit = tax payer funded

bye bye !
watchingone wrote:
if anyone knew what trouble Wilson caused for this organization that was all her own doing and her own irresponsibility no one would question her gettin let go. protestors and the press bringing up the race card is beyond ridiculous, its all about money.
People Lie

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 23, 2011
The previous person has no clue what they are talking about. Your comment was very personal and I guess you were part of the jealous crowd??? I guess you should show some facts watchingone. I hope and pray your not an employee of Freeport going around telling lies. Ramoan grew freeport west with employees and dollars. Please remember what Freeport's mission is we are here to servce the youth. As for the first person the magic word, what tax dollars have you paid to this orginization? I guess people need to watch what they say before it comes back and haunts you!!! Grow up and get a life both of you!!!
AntiMelting

Brainerd, MN

#4 Mar 23, 2011
People Lie wrote:
The previous person has no clue what they are talking about. Your comment was very personal and I guess you were part of the jealous crowd??? I guess you should show some facts watchingone. I hope and pray your not an employee of Freeport going around telling lies. Ramoan grew freeport west with employees and dollars. Please remember what Freeport's mission is we are here to servce the youth. As for the first person the magic word, what tax dollars have you paid to this orginization? I guess people need to watch what they say before it comes back and haunts you!!! Grow up and get a life both of you!!!
Spoken like an entitlement addict.
watchingone

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Mar 23, 2011
you are clearly an insider who has no clue what you are talking about.. am i part of the jealous crowd? jealous of what? financial irresponsibility. i can tell u one thing, and that is the st. paul site is not losing workers and programs because the previous leadership was responsible. once you set your allegances 2 the side and know the facts without being biased u can make better judgements..try it.
People Lie wrote:
watchingone

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 23, 2011
agreed
AntiMelting wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like an entitlement addict.
Grow Up- Haters

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Mar 23, 2011
Grow up jealous ones! Wilson is the reason you have your position/s. You should have the facts before sprouting off about fiscal responsibility. Freeport was a well run organization--prefect no--but better than most! Check the audit reports! If I was Wilson I would be disapppointed with the lack of commitment and loyality from those that worked for her! Haters grow up!
plenty grown up

Saint Joseph, MN

#8 Mar 23, 2011
As someone who has worked for many non-profits and has much inside knowledge of Freeport West, I would have to say that "well run" is not a term I would use to describe it. When HUD freezes all of your funds, you are not a well run organization. When you fire several people quarterly to maintain an atmosphere of fear, you are not running an organization well. When money disappears and forensic accountants have to come in - that is an organization being run into the ground. At best, the people running Freeport West were incompetent, at worst dirty. If we're worried about serving youth, then it is important not to completely lose funding because of selfish people at the top. Everybody is losing sight of what is important....it is not for incompetent/dirty people (and their friends) to keep their jobs, it is for the youth to be served with the money that was meant to serve them.
truth seeker

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Mar 23, 2011
thanks 'plenty grown up'-
Grow Up Haters, I wouldn't be surprised if you were Wilson. Hey! How is it going? I heard Enron has some positions open right now, thought maybe your style of leadership would fit right in!

plenty grown up- you are where it's at, aside from saying something stupid like 'check the audit reports!' like 'Grow Up Haters', you have actual knowledge of what is happening, like, in REALITY. i love it! the youth that are served are the most important thing to address. is why freeport is here! when you have an organization lead by someone like Wilson who could barely say 'hi' to a stranger and was more concerned about herself and her inside friends getting their paychecks then the youth being served it is time for change. i am glad changes are being made, in the end it will be the best for the youth who are in dire need of our help right now.
Amen

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Mar 23, 2011
Amen- I left Freeport West a long time ago after being there a couple of years, and before Ramona started. But I am still proudly a part of the youth serving social services, I am not blind to what was going on over there. It is sometimes funny how reliable word gets around. But good that it gets around. Because with these limited resources for our young people WE CAN NOT tolerate mismangement of funds or BLATANT SELFISHNESS on the behalf of those who are suppossed to provide services to youth. Ramona is a lying thief and a selfcentered non-professional. Good riddance.
truthdeliverer

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Mar 23, 2011
I am writing in response to the ignorant and uninformed comments left regarding Sherree Ellis. This is not in an attempt to persuade the writer of these comments otherwise, but rather an effort to inform readers of who this woman is and to clear any misconceptions concerning her abilities and qualifications. The experience and legacy of Sherree Ellis in regards to non-profit organizations and reaching out to street youth far exceeds anything that the mission of Freeport West has attempted or attempts to achieve. Freeport West was enhanced because of her experience and extensive background in youth programming as well as her personal and longstanding ties to the community. The career of this woman did not begin nor does it end at Freeport West. Her life has been a lifelong service to not only youth, but to members of the community that were in need of a helping hand, inspiration or insight. A large portion of the Freeport West website itself, portrays both the characteristics and the quality of work that Sherree Ellis has contributed to this organization over the past three years.
Jane Doe

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Mar 23, 2011
I myself have worked in nonprofits for years. The allegations made against Freeport are not unheard of in nonprofits. I do know that when HUD pulls the funding, there are serious misdeeds taking place. Put aside employees who are good/bad. There are many good workplaces with a few bad apples. But when funding is stripped, that is a very good indicator that the organization isn't well run..
You Reap What You Sow

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 23, 2011
Truthdeliverer, since you want to tout Sherree Ellis' abilities and qualifications, then explain to the readers why she was terminated from her Executive Director position at a non-profit in St. Paul after 3-4 months, furthermore, please explain why Ramona Wilson brought in someone over Sherree to manage the St. Paul office last Spring?
truthdeliverer wrote:
I am writing in response to the ignorant and uninformed comments left regarding Sherree Ellis. This is not in an attempt to persuade the writer of these comments otherwise, but rather an effort to inform readers of who this woman is and to clear any misconceptions concerning her abilities and qualifications. The experience and legacy of Sherree Ellis in regards to non-profit organizations and reaching out to street youth far exceeds anything that the mission of Freeport West has attempted or attempts to achieve. Freeport West was enhanced because of her experience and extensive background in youth programming as well as her personal and longstanding ties to the community. The career of this woman did not begin nor does it end at Freeport West. Her life has been a lifelong service to not only youth, but to members of the community that were in need of a helping hand, inspiration or insight. A large portion of the Freeport West website itself, portrays both the characteristics and the quality of work that Sherree Ellis has contributed to this organization over the past three years.
You Reap What You Sow

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 23, 2011
Haters? Jealous ones? Who would be hating on, or jealous of Ramona Wilson? She's an unemployed Executive Director, key word here 'unemployed', who gets her flunkeys to do her dirty work. That's the problem with Ramona, she's always gets rid of employees she feels are not loyal to her - well, she can't do that now. And for the record Grow Up-Haters, the word is 'spouting' off, not 'sprouting' off.
Grow Up- Haters wrote:
Grow up jealous ones! Wilson is the reason you have your position/s. You should have the facts before sprouting off about fiscal responsibility. Freeport was a well run organization--prefect no--but better than most! Check the audit reports! If I was Wilson I would be disapppointed with the lack of commitment and loyality from those that worked for her! Haters grow up!
People Lie

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 23, 2011
I think it's pretty interesting everyone that has something to say kissed Ramona's ass while she was here. You sure didn't have a problem when she was signing your paycheck right? For the ignorant one's who want they say they left because of Ramona couldn't say shit when she did their exit interviews. Everyone of you kissed Sherree's ass and wished you had her passion but now you want to talk mad shit cause your face is covered by the internet??? Yeah she may have had a sign protesting for the youth which is something you ignorant assholes wouldn't know anything about. Where are the facts that funds were taking away and froze?? I thinks it's pretty funny that people want to hide their faces behind this shit. I guess misery loves company and all you fools are just miserable with no life. Not only are you fools but when you have no job in a month or so because Freeport is in debit paying for Ramona's and Sherree's beach houses we will see who is taking shit then. Until then foolish people I hope you are putting money away in your saving accounts because your ass won't be paid for long from Freeport.
truthdeliverer

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 23, 2011
Regardless of the negative accusations that are brought up out of the anger and frustration of this situation, it does not change the positive impact and genuine nature of the work that has been contributed by this woman who is committed to serving youth. Instead of deciding for the youth, what they want or need to be successful, it may help to simply ask them what they want, what they need and what has been working for them. None of these negative comments or opinions will change the countless number of youth whose lives have been affected positively simply by a person who cares, and no matter how anyone feels about the situation, Sherree Ellis definitely fits the description.
People Lie

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Mar 23, 2011
Reap What You Sow, what is name of the non profit Sherree Ellis worked for and got fired from??? To my knowledge she has always had a husband who always financially supported his family which is something I am sure you wouldn't know anything about. For you other dumb asses going from Program Manager to Operational Manager is not having someone come over and take a position, just shows how ignorant you all are. You are all very jealous and wish you had true success in your life like Sherree and Ramona both have. I am sure when you all lose your jobs and someone of you have already, you will not have any support that way these true leaders of Saint Paul both have. I hope you all get some really good sleep tonight and know that Sherree and Ramona will be praying for you as you all start looking for new jobs in the next few weeks.
People Lie

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Mar 23, 2011
I forgot to mention when you go to the to Freeport's Website and look at the pictures and when you look at Freeport's sorry ass facebook page, it was all Sherree Elli's work you dumb asses!!!! I think it's funny you want to talk about what a terrible job Ramona and Sherree did and personally attack them, you should be grown enough to say who you are!!! But I am sure your sorry asses are to scared to do so right??? You want to talk out your asses with NO facts and tell lies so you can believe them yourself, boy you are all a true joke!!! What have you done for Freeport West or should I say in your life that makes you feel good about yourself??? NOTHING right LOL!!!
Joe Public

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 23, 2011
As a public employee, I have worked with Freeport on both sides of the river. I am truly discouraged to see all of these comments that have been placed here on this site. Instead of airing our dirty laundry or slinging mud, we should be coming together as a community to support the youth that have depended on this program for encouragement and a means to be free of negative street influences. I have seen this program assist gang members trying to escape the gang; homeless children looking for help; pregnant teens looking for guidance; young drug dealers wanting to be free of the game; and children in general trying to better themselves. The youth are our future! Without them there is no future! Let's use our energy to help these children find an alternative option to replace the hours that Freeport St. Paul used to offer (reduced from 8 hours a day to 3 hours a day) to keep their minds working towards positive outcomes.
Jane Doe

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Mar 23, 2011
Joe Public wrote:
As a public employee, I have worked with Freeport on both sides of the river. I am truly discouraged to see all of these comments that have been placed here on this site. Instead of airing our dirty laundry or slinging mud, we should be coming together as a community to support the youth that have depended on this program for encouragement and a means to be free of negative street influences. I have seen this program assist gang members trying to escape the gang; homeless children looking for help; pregnant teens looking for guidance; young drug dealers wanting to be free of the game; and children in general trying to better themselves. The youth are our future! Without them there is no future! Let's use our energy to help these children find an alternative option to replace the hours that Freeport St. Paul used to offer (reduced from 8 hours a day to 3 hours a day) to keep their minds working towards positive outcomes.
If there was any doubt the leadership was in shambles at Freeport one only needs to look at the comments made by these staff members/supporters. Not really doing that great of job making your cases. Honestly, these comments look like they could be made on the Maury show..
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Mar 23, 2011
Being a person who seen all three complaints about Ramona and read all three documents I can say honestly it has nothing to do with money. Hud did not freeze anything that had to do with issues of that magnitude. To be honest with you the letter from hud said really nothing just a bunch of people complaining about nothing. Now if anyone knows so much, tell me this. If this is about HUD freezing accounts then why is St. Paul being effected? Well it would not because St. Paul has nothing to do with HUD. St. Paul does not even get any money from HUD only Minneapolis does.

So lets go back to the complaints they were so stupid I can not even believe professionals acknowldeged them. To say that no one ways qualified for positions, well you should take a look at what is going on right now in your organization. They have just named this woman Intrim Director. How is she qualifed? Please do tell. She is not even educated to say the least, does not have a college degree but they named her the Itrim Director. WOW, right now she is the puppet for This Board Chair who does not know what he is doing.

To say the least if you think this is about HUD you are mistaken the complaints are dumb and personal. As they said everyone in St. Paul is family, who cares if that is what it is. It was a great place for the youth. From what I seen Minneapolis should be worried about how be succesful as St. Paul is. St. Paul can have 50 kids on anygiven day consistent where Minneapolis has what 5 a week. Just saying.

As far as staff in St. Paul, correct me if I am wrong are they not educated and have previous experience in the community and working with youth? Yes, they all do. Your Intrim Director has never managed no one, she did not even manage anyone before getting this position. No education, no set of skills. I see most of you have the wool over your eyes already. WOW

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comcast To Charge $30 For Data Over 300GB Cap 1 hr Government RIP OFF 9
Obama supports criminals 1 hr Government RIP OFF 9
clinton probe extends to key aides 6 hr Myron 60
Another Government FAILURE Vet benifits (Mar '13) 6 hr LIbErals 4
dow -400 6 hr Little Boy Blue 13
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr IBdaMann 34,479
Trump Mobile, AL Rally Outstanding 7 hr ex troll 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages