|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Trans-fat ban puts pressure on General Mills

By Tom Webb

Posted: 11/07/2013 12:01:00 AM CST | Updated: 19 min. ago

General Mills still produces dozens of items containing trans fats, from Grands cinnamon rolls to Totino's pizza rolls, Pillsbury sugar cookies to the original Bisquick.

The Golden Valley-based foodmaker has been gradually reformulating its products to remove trans fats, but that process isn't finished. Trans fats provides flakiness to baked goods, an issue at the home of Betty Crocker and the Pillsbury Doughboy.

And it became more of an issue Thursday, with the Food and Drug Administration, citing health concerns, saying it will require the food industry to phase out the additive.

"They still market products with trans fat, and they told us there are technical challenges -- meaning shelf life isn't quite as long, or that texture isn't quite right," said Michael Jacobson, executive director for the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer group leading the campaign against trans fat.

In a statement, General Mills said it "had already been working quickly to reduce the use of partially-hydrogenated oil in products as the science began to shift on trans fats -- and more 90 percent of our U.S. retail products are already labeled as zero trans fat."

"But we will also need to move to respond quickly to FDA on this question, and we will," the General Mills statement said.

----------

"Achtung! Der Furor will decide what you are allowed to eat." Michelle Obama, 2013

So...if it is not good for you, the Federal Imperial Government is going to outlaw it. Sugar, salt, meat, fats of any kind. All are on the way out if this pattern is followed.

I'd love for a Lib to tell me that the Obama Administration is not over reaching with regulations on companies. That Lib is either ignorant, a Kool-Aid drinker, or a liar.

“We have 545 traitors.”

Since: May 11

Parts Unknown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Its a good thing that nobody outlawed Obama's cigarettes for all those years...

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Blern wrote:
Its a good thing that nobody outlawed Obama's cigarettes for all those years...
Then they would have lost hundreds of billions in tax revenue.
And we just can't have that, no matter how many people might
die or become ill.

Next they should go after all of those fake sweeteners that are nothing less than chemistry sets in a little paper packet.

They must have dozens of more dangerous "food products" they can go after than synthetic grease.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they would have lost hundreds of billions in tax revenue.
And we just can't have that, no matter how many people might
die or become ill.
Next they should go after all of those fake sweeteners that are nothing less than chemistry sets in a little paper packet.
They must have dozens of more dangerous "food products" they can go after than synthetic grease.
One source of trans-fats is shortening.
The stuff one's grandma used in cooking to make things like the pastry for things like pies, deep frying fish and other foods, etc...
One popular brand of trans-fat usage is Crisco. They make stuff like shortening. Get rid of that stuff, and many folks will lose jobs. Many farmers will lose out. Since they sell the basic items that companies like Crisco turns into trans-fats. Though they are currently using parts of soybeans for it these days.
Arch on Larch

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

IrishMN wrote:
I'd love for a Lib to tell me that the Obama Administration is not over reaching with regulations on companies. That Lib is either ignorant, a Kool-Aid drinker, or a liar.
The majority of Americans support the regulation of unhealthy food additives.
Arch on Larch

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
One source of trans-fats is shortening.
The stuff one's grandma used in cooking to make things like the pastry for things like pies, deep frying fish and other foods, etc...
One popular brand of trans-fat usage is Crisco. They make stuff like shortening. Get rid of that stuff, and many folks will lose jobs. Many farmers will lose out. Since they sell the basic items that companies like Crisco turns into trans-fats. Though they are currently using parts of soybeans for it these days.
You have no clue what you are talking about. A serving of Crisco contains 0 grams of transfat.

See for yourself at http://www.crisco.com/products/ProductDetail....

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Arch on Larch wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no clue what you are talking about.
You are a very angry and bitter little man.

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a very angry and bitter little man.
That one does not realize that the FDA allows those Food manufacturers are allowed to list amounts of trans fat with less than 0.5 gram (1/2 g) per serving as 0 (zero). This includes Crisco.
He does not realize that well as me being a housewife and having taking home ec when it was mandatory. I learned to read those labels. As well as having a husband who is a Type 2 diabetic. As a housewife, I'm the one who makes the food here. And with me making sure that it is as healthy as possible.... Of course I'm not only going to buy healthy foods. But do my research on what can be allowed in this house.
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/Gu... Less than 0.5g of total fat
"Not a significant source of trans fat"
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx... The term serving or serving size means an amount of food customarily consumed per eating occasion by persons 4 years of age or older which is expressed in a common household measure that is appropriate to the food.
.........“Trans fat” or “Trans”: A statement of the number of grams of trans fat in a serving, defined as the sum of all unsaturated fatty acids that contain one or more isolated (i.e., nonconjugated) double bonds in a trans configuration, except that label declaration of trans fat content information is not required for products that contain less than 0.5 gram of total fat in a serving if no claims are made about fat, fatty acid or cholesterol content

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

IrishMN wrote:
Trans-fat ban puts pressure on General Mills
By Tom Webb
Posted: 11/07/2013 12:01:00 AM CST | Updated: 19 min. ago
"Achtung! Der Furor will decide what you are allowed to eat." Michelle Obama, 2013
So...if it is not good for you, the Federal Imperial Government is going to outlaw it. Sugar, salt, meat, fats of any kind. All are on the way out if this pattern is followed.
I would love to see the libtard's messiah and his wife try to ban folks from hunting. And eating the meat from such actions. Be the procurement of said wild meat with some sort of projectile weapon or fishing rod as in fishing.
As this economy gets worse. Hunting may be the only way for more and more folks to put meat onto the table. Be it rabbit, squirrel, wild fowl, venison, fish, etc.....
Arch on Larch

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
As this economy gets worse. Hunting may be the only way for more and more folks to put meat onto the table. Be it rabbit, squirrel, wild fowl, venison, fish, etc.....
What planet are you living on where the economy is getting worse?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Global cooling 'undeniable,' scientists say 9 hr Bellweather 61
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 9 hr Bellweather 32,119
Andi uses racial slur 9 hr Earl 10
US troops told not to eat, drink in front of Mu... 10 hr Rabbi Foxman 5
UN fails in Ukraine but works in Detroit USA WH... 12 hr Bellweather 1
Charles Barkley to pay for funerals of Philadel... 12 hr Bellweather 3
Obama: Muslims Built 'The Very Fabric of Our Na... 12 hr Bellweather 2
•••
•••