Now Romney hopes activist judges will...

Now Romney hopes activist judges will set abortion policy for him

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

jerry

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 10, 2012
It's not exactly news that Mitt Romney has taken every position on reproductive rights, short of marching in the streets to demand free abortion on demand.(And given how badly he's losing, don't rule that out just yet.)
So Mitt's latest attempt to flip-flop his way around the issue—this time, during an exercise in hackery with Very Serious Journalist David Gregory—isn't news, exactly, as much as it's the latest episode in Mitt's excellent adventure in flailing and failing:


GREGORY: I want to ask you one question on the social issue and that is abortion. You were on this program in 2007 and you said that you would fight to overturn Roe v. Wade. I know you said this is an issue for the courts. I ask you now would a President Romney fight to overturn Roe v. Wade? And what would you do in that fight to achieve that goal?
Let's just pause right there to contemplate for a moment why it is that David Gregory has a job.(Thinking ... thinking ...) He's going to ask Mitt all of one question on "the social issue," and that's his question? That's it? Mitt Romney said something five years ago, and Gregory wants to know if that's still Mitt's position?
Did Gregory not get the memo about the 30,000 positions Romney has taken since then? Did he miss the interview Mitt gave just a few short weeks ago in which he said the issue has been "settled for some time in the courts"? Or does Gregory think that if Mitt says something on a different network, it doesn't count and Gregory doesn't have to know about it?

Of course, Mitt being Mitt, he couldn't even handle the journalistic ineptitude from Gregory without stepping all over himself and saying something stupid:


MR. ROMNEY: Well, there are a number of things I think that need to be said about preserving and protecting the life of the unborn child. And I recognize there are two lives involved: the mom and the unborn child. And I believe that people of good conscience have chosen different paths in this regard. But I am pro-life and will intend, if I'm president of the United States, to encourage pro-life policies. I don't--
GREGORY: Just encourage or fight for it to be overturned?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, I don't actually make the decision the Supreme Court makes and so they'll have to make their own decision. But, I will, for instance, I'll reverse the president's decision on using U.S. funds to pay for abortion outside this country. I don't think also the taxpayers here should have to pay for abortion in this country. Those things I think are consistent with my pro-life position. And I hope to appoint justices to the Supreme Court that will follow the law and the constitution. And it would be my preference that they reverse Roe v. Wade and therefore they return to the people and their elected representatives the decisions with regards to this important issue.
So Romney's most recent position is that this settled-for-some-time-in-the-c ourts issue should be settled in the courts again, and Romney is hoping to appoint activist judges who will re-settle this settled issue. Because even though every politician, including the ones running for dogcatcher of Podunk, takes a position on reproductive rights, Romney is such a coward that he'd really rather leave it up to someone else. Or forbid reporters from asking him any questions at all. No wonder the Republican Party is running in fear from the issue they usually love to discuss.
Romney's latest—gosh, I sure hope the Supreme Court decides this for me—is yet another shift from the other various positions he's taken, but since Gregory apparently isn't aware that Romney has said anything on the issue since 2007, he obviously is in no position to ask Romney any further questions on the issue—like, oh, say, "What the hell are you talking about? You just said last month that this is a settled issue!"
jerry

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 10, 2012
It's not exactly news that Mitt Romney has taken every position on reproductive rights, short of marching in the streets to demand free abortion on demand.(And given how badly he's losing, don't rule that out just yet.)
Internet Hypocrites

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 11, 2012
Hey, a man can change his mind if he wants to!

And he can change it again if he wants to, too.

And he can change it a third time - no crime.
Larry

Bismarck, ND

#4 Sep 11, 2012
Hey we get it DEMS want abortions. The good news for some is that Planned
Parenthood kills five black babies for every one white baby and cut the black population in half in America.

Since: Apr 12

Hugo, MN

#5 Sep 11, 2012
The Obama campaign is out with another ad making the false claim that Mitt Romney “backed a bill that outlaws all abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.” Romney’s consistent position through this campaign, and the last, and as far back as 2005, is that he opposes abortion except in cases when the life of the mother is in danger, and in cases of rape and incest.

http://factcheck.org/2012/07/falsifying-romne...

Most recently, Romney reaffirmed that position in a June 18, 2011, piece in National Review called “My Pro-Life Pledge,” his most fully articulated position on abortion during the current campaign. The piece begins:“I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.” That has consistently been Romney’s official position dating back to a 2005 op-ed written for the Boston Globe in which he wrote,“I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape, and to save the life of the mother.”

“Earn it one day at a time”

Since: Sep 09

Madison WI

#6 Sep 11, 2012
If you want an abortion the Dems are the party for you

“We Did Build This”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#7 Sep 11, 2012
Internet Hypocrites wrote:
Hey, a man can change his mind if he wants to!
And he can change it again if he wants to, too.
And he can change it a third time - no crime.
How many different names are you using today, Slew-Dog-Troll?
Why is it that when Obama changes his stand on something it's evolution but when Romney does the same it's flip-flopping?
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#8 Sep 11, 2012
Internet Hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
How many different names are you using today, Slew-Dog-Troll?
Why is it that when Obama changes his stand on something it's evolution but when Romney does the same it's flip-flopping?
Because he doesn't change his mind every weak to suit the folks he's talking to...Even the chair figured THAT out and the table is snickering, you have to ask ME so many dumb questions !!! LMAOROTFu~! Poor dummy !! Poor loser, fits you like a GLOVE !!!
redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 11, 2012
Trolls wrote:
The Obama campaign is out with another ad making the false claim that Mitt Romney “backed a bill that outlaws all abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.” Romney’s consistent position through this campaign, and the last, and as far back as 2005, is that he opposes abortion except in cases when the life of the mother is in danger, and in cases of rape and incest.
http://factcheck.org/2012/07/falsifying-romne...
Most recently, Romney reaffirmed that position in a June 18, 2011, piece in National Review called “My Pro-Life Pledge,” his most fully articulated position on abortion during the current campaign. The piece begins:“I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother.” That has consistently been Romney’s official position dating back to a 2005 op-ed written for the Boston Globe in which he wrote,“I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape, and to save the life of the mother.”
The great tragedy of science,is the slaying of a beautiful
hypothesis is by an ugly fact liar!
redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Sep 11, 2012
Jeffrey MacDonald wrote:
If you want an abortion the Dems are the party for you
What's up Doc,now how can you be the poster boy for pro-life? when the real Col.Jeffrey MacDonald kill his own family,wife and children,you're really sick sir.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#11 Sep 11, 2012
Larry wrote:
Hey we get it DEMS want abortions. The good news for some is that Planned
Parenthood kills five black babies for every one white baby and cut the black population in half in America.
If planned parenthood is killing babies, notify the police.... since you dismissed your post's honesty, I'll ignore the rest....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senator Hopes Trump Assassinated 4 hr DT made Un blink 23
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr Galt 37,271
Did Daley Crockett and his BLM visit Mayor's of... 8 hr Davycrockett 5
News Roseville Dairy Queen makes annual list of '10 ... (May '10) 21 hr Jim_M 34
Fox news sold out and is fake news now Sat Space ace 5
Get Out of Jackson, Wyoming! Fri Tim Shey 1
All these big mouth white boys who never fought... Fri Davycrockett 7

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages