Other voices: Wisconsin breathes easy with smoking ban

Dec 26, 2010 Read more: TwinCities.com 33
Wisconsin's smoking ban in bars and restaurants is working well. Ninety-seven percent of air quality samples taken in more than 200 Wisconsin establishments after the ban took effect July 5 came back healthy, according to a study released this month by the state Department of Health Services and UW Carbone Comprehensive Cancer Center. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
marbee

Janesville, WI

#1 Dec 26, 2010
Where is the link to this study? I would certainly like to see the particulars of this. Study after study that I've seen are bogus, meta-analysis studies. So I WON'T take this study as proof. In fact, there are bars closing due to the ban, something I don't see anything about in this article, or from tobacco control! Other states are seeing and have seen the same. Perhaps the non-smokers would care to step outside and drink if an owner elects to exercise their Constitutionally protected property rights? Would they still come? No one had to work in a thick haze, in fact I've never seen it happen in all the bars I ever worked at, so that's a pretty bold-faced assertion. The non-smokers are NOT keeping these owners in business and have no right to dictate their preference with a mob-rule law!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

Since: Jun 08

peoples republic of Madison

#2 Dec 26, 2010
marbee wrote:
Where is the link to this study? I would certainly like to see the particulars of this. Study after study that I've seen are bogus, meta-analysis studies. So I WON'T take this study as proof. In fact, there are bars closing due to the ban, something I don't see anything about in this article, or from tobacco control! Other states are seeing and have seen the same. Perhaps the non-smokers would care to step outside and drink if an owner elects to exercise their Constitutionally protected property rights? Would they still come? No one had to work in a thick haze, in fact I've never seen it happen in all the bars I ever worked at, so that's a pretty bold-faced assertion. The non-smokers are NOT keeping these owners in business and have no right to dictate their preference with a mob-rule law!
What they fail to tell you about the DNR/EPA standards is that the tests that they did were invalid by the very standards that they cite.
http://peoplesrepubmadison.wordpress.com/2010...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#3 Dec 26, 2010
Many small working class neighborhood bars are forced to ignore the ban to stay in business. As a result, Johnson and Johnson, the makers of Chantix and Nicoderm, is giving new money to it's many tax exempt political action committees (PACs) to help lobby for more enforcement. If more enforcement is needed, they themselves admit that the statement that bans are good for business is obviously another myth.

Here are their tax exempt political action committees (PACs);

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/CIA_Fundamentals....

And the new enforcement grant money;

http://www.rwjf.org/applications/solicited/cf...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Horny Viking

United States

#4 Dec 26, 2010
I don't like cigarette smoke, but I hate overzealous government worse.

California is singling out tobacco, and promoting marijuana. And marijuana is worse than tobacco.

California is banning happy meals, and pretending marijuana baked goods aren't evil like candy cigarettes.

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

Since: Jun 08

peoples republic of Madison

#5 Dec 26, 2010
generalsn1234567 wrote:
Many small working class neighborhood bars are forced to ignore the ban to stay in business. As a result, Johnson and Johnson, the makers of Chantix and Nicoderm, is giving new money to it's many tax exempt political action committees (PACs) to help lobby for more enforcement. If more enforcement is needed, they themselves admit that the statement that bans are good for business is obviously another myth.
Here are their tax exempt political action committees (PACs);
And the new enforcement grant money;
http://www.rwjf.org/applications/solicited/cf...
In Wisconsin they even resorted to what I would call astroturf. Smoke Free Wisconsin with the help of RWJF created a website claiming "Taverns Clearing the Air is an organization led by Wisconsin Class B liquor license holders who supported a statewide smoke-free law."
http://www.tavernsclearingtheair.com/about/in...

Problem is the organization does not exist. The website is owned by Smoke Free Wisconsin and RWJF claims that it was for educational purposes.
http://www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp...

Here is the actual brochure.
http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/20090211wi...

More bad deeds by J&J and RWJF
http://ethisphere.com/whats-ailing-johnson-jo...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
History Buff

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Dec 27, 2010
I guess all those outdoor heaters shoots energy consumption in the foot doesn't it!!?!!!!... Smoking bans are based on the research funded from ONE industry, the one who profits from the bans. Follow the money for the truth and get back to signs and free choice of the business owner and the customer who should know how to read.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#7 Dec 27, 2010
I'm going to be nice because its the Christmas season. Quit whining and learn to live with it, you are all in the minority, now you know what being in the minority is.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#8 Dec 27, 2010
History Buff wrote:
I guess all those outdoor heaters shoots energy consumption in the foot doesn't it!!?!!!!... Smoking bans are based on the research funded from ONE industry, the one who profits from the bans. Follow the money for the truth and get back to signs and free choice of the business owner and the customer who should know how to read.
Don't bother wasting money on patios or separate ventilation if it doesn't already exist. Just passing a ban won't get rid of these screaming fanatics. Once these people find gullible lawmakers and get a foot in the door, there's no stopping them. They'll be returning for the patios later to "close the loopholes". Page seven of the tobacco control handbook instructions are to ban patio smoking AFTER business owners spent thousands of dollars to build them for their smoking customers. This clearly shows that these people have ABSOLUTLY NO CONCERN for local businesses. It's the "inside-out" provision on page seven. You will see them walk past clearly posted "smoking allowed" signs only to holler and scream and disrupt an otherwise peaceful gathereing of smoking friends. Here's their instruction book;

just candid

AOL

#9 Dec 27, 2010
Sicko potential perverts like to suck on little round things, like cigarettes. Most degenerates are smokers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#10 Dec 27, 2010
Clear Way Minnesota is nothing more than a data altering make it up as we go group. Liberals.. imagine that.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#11 Dec 27, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
I'm going to be nice because its the Christmas season. Quit whining and learn to live with it, you are all in the minority, now you know what being in the minority is.
Victim status.. right.

Since: Nov 08

Small Town

#12 Dec 27, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
If our country was a democracy, 51% of the people could decide they want to kill the other 49%. That is why our nation is a Constitutional Republic, to protect the minority from mob-rule, in this case, smokers! We need to get rid of these lawmakers who keep giving special interest anything they want by a poll and elect those that abide by the U.S. Constitution.
Perhaps then big pharmaís brilliant marketing scam for their own brands of nicotine, Nicorette and Nicoderm will NOT land on the heads of competent legislators and an uneducated electorate!

Small Town

#13 Dec 27, 2010
One of the 5 main things the Constitution guarantees is that this nation protect property rights (from smoking bans) and earnings (taken for tobacco control), yet this uneducated government would take away the rights of tobacco companies and privately owned businesses. It seems that tobacco control believes that they are in charge of the Constitution these days. We The People did NOT give tobacco control this power, and it's time to take it away from them!

Small Town

#14 Dec 27, 2010
Proper signage is all thatís needed. Smokers Welcome, Non-Smokers Welcome, Anti-Smokers Buy Your Own Business! Even the blind can then tell if there will be smoke inside if itís written in braille. The seeing public can see smoke, they donít need the health dept which protects against unseen dangers. Smoke free advocates try to sell the success of smoke free initiatives and laws but never tell of the amount of money the states lose, nor do they report truthfully of the damage it causes to business owners. There is NO business without an owner!
Vicki McKenna of Milwaukee News/Talk 1130 took up the Kenosha WI smoking ban issue as well as Smoke Free WIís underhanded tactics. She did an excellent job of putting the smoke-free movement in the crosshairs and telling it how it is. She addresses the absolute corruption of the smoking bans.
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cch...

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15 Dec 27, 2010
just candid wrote:
Sicko potential perverts like to suck on little round things, like cigarettes. Most degenerates are smokers.
Ya know, most of your posts just sit there and call people names. You sound like a 9 year old half the time. I like how you just make accusations about people not evening knowing who they are. You must live a sad and lonely life, I feel sorry for you. Maybe someday you can be happy with your life, until then you'll just sit there and post idiotic things in the forums. You might want to think about going out and getting a life

“Liberty and Justice for ALL!”

Since: Jun 10

Bloomington, MN

#16 Dec 27, 2010
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>What they fail to tell you about the DNR/EPA standards is that the tests that they did were invalid by the very standards that they cite.
http://peoplesrepubmadison.wordpress.com/2010...
Sorry. According to the experts, this is completely valid.

Only by the standards of right wing extremists that wear tin foil hats is this study invalid.

Bloomington, MN

#17 Dec 27, 2010
marb wrote:
One of the 5 main things the Constitution guarantees is that this nation protect property rights (from smoking bans) and earnings (taken for tobacco control), yet this uneducated government would take away the rights of tobacco companies and privately owned businesses. It seems that tobacco control believes that they are in charge of the Constitution these days. We The People did NOT give tobacco control this power, and it's time to take it away from them!
It's a public health issue, you boob.

I suppose you think the constitution guarantees you the right to manufacture meth as well.

Bloomington, MN

#18 Dec 27, 2010
Klaatu barada nikto wrote:
Clear Way Minnesota is nothing more than a data altering make it up as we go group. Liberals.. imagine that.
Only a right wing extremist lost in scifi could make this a political issue - it's a public health issue.
Smoking Bans Save Lives

Mesa, AZ

#19 Dec 27, 2010
NYC says smoking deaths drop 17 percent in eight years

NEW YORK | Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39am EDT

(Reuters Life!)- Smoking-related deaths in New York dropped 17 percent in the past eight years and the number of smokers has fallen by nearly a third, according to the city's health department.

It said the number of people dying from smoking-related illnesses has fallen to about 7,200 in 2009 from 8,700 in 2002, coinciding with a tough anti-smoking campaign by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Bloomberg banned smoking in bars and restaurants in 2003 and he recently proposed expanding that ban to parks, beaches, boardwalks, pedestrian plazas and other outdoor public spaces.

"We have reduced the number of adult smokers by 350,000 and prevented thousands of premature deaths," New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said in a statement.

"This is good news, but smoking still kills more than 7,000 New Yorkers each year, and thousands more will suffer smoking-induced strokes, heart attacks, debilitating lung diseases and cancers," he said.

The city has also given out free nicotine patches and gum to 250,000 New Yorkers since 2003, helping 80,000 smokers quit, the department said. Graphic advertisements depicting damage to the body by smoking also convinced people to quit, it added.
markw

Woodland Hills, CA

#20 Dec 27, 2010
Three on a match

Smokers, nonsmokers and business owners reflect on Illinois' public smoking ban, now in its third yeareven some smokers see an upside

October 29, 2010|By Joseph Ruzich, Special to the Tribune

It has been nearly three years since Illinois banned smoking in most public places.

To little surprise, the law has been embraced by many, including families who in the past had avoided smoke-filled establishments.

And even some smokers have managed to discover a positive aspect to the ban as well.

"We've become a subgroup of people that have formed a social club in a way," said Aurora resident and smoker Sam Herron, 49. "You tend to socialize more smoking outside than smoking at a bar. I've met a lot of new people since the ban was put in place."

Sugar Grove resident Julie Engelhardt is happy to let the subgroup exist ó as long as it stays outside.

The smoking ban means Engelhardt can take her four kids to places like Ballydoyle Irish Pub & Restaurant in Aurora. Engelhardt sees Ballydoyle as a family establishment where her children can be exposed to music, the arts and Irish cuisine.

"We stayed clear of the pub atmosphere in the past," said Engelhardt. "We didn't want our kids breathing in smoky air."

Engelhardt's four children belong to the McNulty Irish Dancers and often perform at Irish pubs such as Ballydoyle.

"We used to dance (at the pubs) and leave right away," said Engelhardt. "We would come home and immediately air out our clothes. I couldn't believe what they smelled like. Now things are different. We dance and then linger around the pub for a while longer now."

Phil Cullen, owner of the Ballydoyle pubs in Aurora, Downers Grove and Bloomingdale, said he has seen a shift in clientele as well as social habits among smokers.

"There used to be a group of 50 guys who would come every day at 5 p.m. and smoke cigarettes at the bar," said Cullen. "Most of them have left but have been quickly replaced by those who don't like smoke."

He said the smokers who have stuck around tend to socialize more now.

"They all got smoking buddies," said Cullen. "Smoking has become a social event for them. When the band takes a break, they all go outside to smoke."

The Smoke-Free Illinois Act took effect Jan. 1, 2008, at nearly all public gathering places and workplaces. Its aim was to combat the effects of secondhand smoke.

Smoking complaints reported to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) have plummeted since 2008, according to IDPH officials. There were 5,501 complaints in 2008, 2,710 in 2009 and 1,455 from January through September 2010.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Helicopter: White House Lawn 4 hr CBSucks 12
Vikings Draft Jameis Winston 4 hr CBSucks 3
Muslims Throw Christians Overboard 4 hr CBSucks 3
New Minneapolis Sales Tax to Build 50 Million D... 7 hr Al She Bob 3
Pimples and white people 7 hr FOVR 23
Armenians in Twin Cities, around world recall '... 7 hr Al She Bob 3
Scott Pelley 7 hr FOVR 5
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE