Archdiocese won't investigate priest named in note by Kentucky man who killed self

Church officials in Minnesota say they are not planning to investigate one of the priests named in a Facebook note a Kentucky man posted before he shot himself to death in a church parking lot. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PedroMN

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 11, 2011
Of course they wont, why would they change the way they have handled this the past 300 years?
JBB1

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 11, 2011
You would expect anything more than the church putting their head in the sand? Would be revolutionary if they actually said 'For once, we the church, WILL DO THE RIGHT THING' instead of, say, focusing on talking snakes & golden underwear.
les

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 11, 2011
Based on everything this article has to offer I wouldn't investigate him either.
I understand the media can't stop salivating every time an opportunity arises to bash the Catholic Church. But lets get a story straight first! Did he say this certain priest molested him?
Alicia Pietri de Caldera

Maple Plain, MN

#4 Feb 11, 2011
Lets give more money to the church, I'm sure that they will solve all these problems with more money.
Getthefacts

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Feb 11, 2011
Handle what? Don't pretend to know the details of this very sad story.
Zingbopper

Sparta, WI

#6 Feb 11, 2011
Mentioned with 2 other priests in his suicide note but that's not enough to investigate this guy?
I ask why not?
How do the catholics keep getting away with this behavior?
What a slap in the face of this kid's family not to even look into it. The cop's are just shrugging their shoulders and poo-pooing the seriousness of the situation.
It's funny you never hear of a priest committing suicide from the guilt of molesting boy's.
Catholicism is becoming a joke.
Getthefacts

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 11, 2011
There is a back story and you obviously don't know it. Zingbopper you are disgusting.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 11, 2011
I wonder: Is this going to be a case of letting sleeping dogs lie or whistling past a cemeraty?
Pete Wendell

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 11, 2011
All of you posters who want to blindly defend the criminal and evil activities and secrets of the Catholic church need to get punched in the teeth.

Remember when you give your money on Sunday that the Church is paying out billions a year to hide child rapists. But, you'll be fine with it right? After all, you are sitting in Church looking for forgiveness and guidance.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#12 Feb 11, 2011
Yeah bury your head in the sand. that will work great....
Jimmy

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 11, 2011
More smears from bigoted anti-Catholics.

If there was something to investigate, I'm sure lawyer Anderson would be all over it like a cheap suit.

Fr. B. is a wonderful priest and I'm sure he would have helped that troubled soul.
OMG

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Feb 11, 2011
So someone commits suicide and names 3 priests and abuse in the same note and nothing happens, but it just takes an anonimous phonecall to CPS to launch a 'serious' investigation...what has this world come to?
Just go away

Morgan, MN

#17 Feb 11, 2011
Some of the catholics out there have been so brain washed by the church they'll believe anything the church says. Poor kids : (
les

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 11, 2011
Freddy wrote:
Bashing the church? Why is it bashing the church when priests continue to bash children? The church has a shocking, sickening and intolerable record of molesting children, doing essentially nothing to stop it, concealing the evidence, and all the while pretending to be holy. This priest absolutely needs to be investigated -- by our criminal justice system. Same goes for Ratzinger, the so-called "Holy Father."
Of course if the priest do something wrong they should be thrown in jail. No Catholic would disagree with that.
But isnt it disturbing that bigots like you and the media are so fixated on trashing the Catholic Church that you ignore the countless Protestant Pastors and Rabbi's that have done the same thing?
I cautiously read all news stories concerning the Church. And 9 outa 10 times its agenda driven by writers who hate the Catholic faith for other reasons besides the recent abuse allegations. This article is no different. The writer probably disagrees with the Church's stance on gay marriage and abortion. Because this is a misleading article. I dont believe the man ever accused this priest of molesting him.
The truth is the guy was nuts. He was struggling with personal demons. Im pretty sure no one molested him.
les

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Feb 11, 2011
Just go away wrote:
Some of the catholics out there have been so brain washed by the church they'll believe anything the church says. Poor kids :(
...And some of the non-catholics out there are so bigoted they will believe every allegation smeared on the front page. It gives them comfort to see the largest Christian Church put in a negative view in any way, true or not.
Rob

Burnsville, MN

#20 Feb 11, 2011
I knew David and I know what his last Facebook post said. He did NOT state that he was sexually abused by Fr. Baer. What he did say is that Fr. Baer is "an evil man". David said he was sexually abused by a priest in his youth (he named the priest) and then went on to say he "forgave" him. However, he clearly harbored ill feelings toward Baer. Those of us who know him think it's possible that Baer, as head of the seminary, may have nixed David's planned vocation, once the earlier abuse was out in the open (weeding out those who may be deemed a risk to the Church, or could possibly repeat the abuse). I can see where maybe the seminary would take that position--But for poor David, once again he was eff'd by the church...they stole his innocence and childhood as a kid and his dream/life ambition of becoming a priest. This is a tragedy on every level. I wonder what God thinks?
Rob

Burnsville, MN

#21 Feb 11, 2011
les wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course if the priest do something wrong they should be thrown in jail. No Catholic would disagree with that.
But isnt it disturbing that bigots like you and the media are so fixated on trashing the Catholic Church that you ignore the countless Protestant Pastors and Rabbi's that have done the same thing?
I cautiously read all news stories concerning the Church. And 9 outa 10 times its agenda driven by writers who hate the Catholic faith for other reasons besides the recent abuse allegations. This article is no different. The writer probably disagrees with the Church's stance on gay marriage and abortion. Because this is a misleading article. I dont believe the man ever accused this priest of molesting him.
The truth is the guy was nuts. He was struggling with personal demons. Im pretty sure no one molested him.
Seriously, Les? Are you kidding me? No one molested him? David was not "nuts". He apparently lost the will to live when his life & dreams were stolen from him by the very institution he loved and wanted to serve. People like you really scare me. The media fixated on trashing the Catholic Church? I think the Catholic Church is doing a fine job of that on their own.
Mark Winshel

Walnut Creek, CA

#23 Feb 11, 2011
It's nice to "know" that the Church has now "reformed" and therefore is no longer covering things up. In fact, it kind of reminds me of the California State Bar, and which is the totally corrupt organization that pretends its primary reason for being supposedly is to protect California residents from crooked lawyers.

More specifically, every so many years it becomes common public knowledge that the CSB, and in spite of all of its PR, has been a total joke and actually has been far more interested in protecting a lot of crooked lawyers who should be disbarred, and in many cases also sent to prison, than it has been in protectiing the public.

So therefore each time this becomes public, the CSB then goes through its choreographed charades of pretending to "reform" and "finally make things right," and although actually it has absolutely no intention of truly reforming and improving, since there is too much money to be made by it staying as corrupt as can be. In fact, the CSB even sells pardons and coverups, and for a minimum of a few thousand dollars each, for lightly disguised bribes that it pretends are fees for courses.

(NOTE: So as to better keep up the charade that supposedly it exists to protect the public, therefore the CSB does occasionally publicly discipline a few of the less powerful and less politically connected lawyers; however, it does not normally discipline the bigger, more powerful, and more politically connected lawyers, and no matter how many felonies they commit.)

In fact speaking of churches, corruption, and coverups, I often think of the California State Bar as "The Church of Lies, Fraud, Sleaze, Coverups, Perjury, and Bribery."
wow

Owensboro, KY

#24 Feb 11, 2011
Fr. Freddie Byrd in Ky and Father Baer while he was in MN>>>> Let this man not die in Vain!! PUNISH THE PRIEST WHO PREY ON PEOPLE!! Makes me SICK how they hide behind the robe...
les

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Feb 11, 2011
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, Les? Are you kidding me? No one molested him? David was not "nuts". He apparently lost the will to live when his life & dreams were stolen from him by the very institution he loved and wanted to serve. People like you really scare me. The media fixated on trashing the Catholic Church? I think the Catholic Church is doing a fine job of that on their own.
I dont know if he was molested or not. Apparently you know him and you say he was. Ok. Its a sad thing for him to have to deal with something like that.
But to show up at a Church parking lot- just before little kids arrive - and shoot yourself? That says to me he had other personal issues, and there was probably good reasons for him to get denied into the priesthood. From what i hear, Fr. Baer is a good man. And its a shame the pioneer press would try to rake him over the coals and tie him to sex abuse, just because some guy wrote that he was an evil man on facebook. Irresponsible journalism and agenda driven.
Either way, I pray for David and his family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson rioters destroy businesses, police car... 1 hr Liberal Lover 21
Same-sex marriage could increase Minnesota's an... 2 hr Liberal Lover 4
How do I explain this to my black students? 6 hr Ron 24
Burn Diss Place Down 10 hr LIbEralS 8
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 10 hr LIbEralS 287
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 10 hr IBdaMann 33,287
The Parents Weren't at the Scene in Ferguson Wed Liberal Lover 2
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:19 am PST

Bleacher Report 1:19AM
New England Patriots vs Green Bay Packers: Breaking Down Green Bay's Game Plan
Bleacher Report 3:15 AM
Patriots vs. Packers: Breaking Down New England's Game Plan
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Patriots vs. Packers: What Are Experts Saying About New England?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
NFL Week 13 Picks: Final Predictions and Over-Under Odds Before Thursday Night
NBC Sports10:13 AM
Watch No. 12: Tom Brady vs Aaron Rodgers - NBC Sports