Duluth argues free speech doesn't apply at holiday lights display Bentleyville

Dec 18, 2011 Read more: TwinCities 68

First Amendment rights don't apply at a bayfront Christmas attraction, the city of Duluth argued in an objection filed Friday in federal court.

Read more

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#24 Dec 18, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, it IS. I wouldn't live there if my rent/house payment was ZERO, and my utility bills were always paid in FULL by the taxpayers. Half the city is inhabited by NUT JOBS, losers, dopers, tree-hugging, fur-hatin' vegans who can't add 2 plus 2.
I do feel sorry for the other half who live there though. They deserve BETTER.
So we have reality way over here...and your thoughts way over there...

Good to know.
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Dec 18, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>So we have reality way over here...and your thoughts way over there...
Good to know.
Nice try, TICK. I AM reality, because I am about being reasonable and logical, and I am not about anarchy, unlike you....

St. Croix valley

#26 Dec 18, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, TICK. I AM reality, because I am about being reasonable and logical, and I am not about anarchy, unlike you....
Really? have you ever lived in Duluth? Yes it is and alwys had been liberal, but nothing like what you described.

hence the reality here, and your statements way over there...
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Dec 18, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? have you ever lived in Duluth? Yes it is and alwys had been liberal, but nothing like what you described.
Oh, BS tick. No, I've never lived in Duluth, but have been there plenty of times to observe the locals, especially on Superior St. Totally NUTS, rarely see any cops, it's no wonder that a decent, moderate person feels vulnerable, especially if they exude any kind of personal confidence that demonstrates rugged individualism.
Yes, it is super liberal, and the city council and the mayor make no apologies for it. Some of the businesses there have to keep there FRONT DOOR LOCKED, and you have to ring a door bell to get access into the store. Do you see any kind of problem with that??
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Dec 18, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Really? have you ever lived in Duluth? Yes it is and alwys had been liberal, but nothing like what you described.
I even experienced some NUTJOB place a FAKE parking citation on my windshield, while parked in downtown Duluth. I guess that they thought that I would go to city hall to pay the 'fine' for a crime that I did not commit. Duluth needs to hire some good, undercover officers to arrest, prosecute, and JAIL the anarchists who harass, intimidate, and assault decent citizens. If the city is losing business, I just explained WHY.

St. Croix valley

#29 Dec 18, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, BS tick. No, I've never lived in Duluth, but have been there plenty of times to observe the locals, especially on Superior St. Totally NUTS, rarely see any cops, it's no wonder that a decent, moderate person feels vulnerable, especially if they exude any kind of personal confidence that demonstrates rugged individualism.
Yes, it is super liberal, and the city council and the mayor make no apologies for it. Some of the businesses there have to keep there FRONT DOOR LOCKED, and you have to ring a door bell to get access into the store. Do you see any kind of problem with that??
So you drove down the main drag a few times and now you know the political inner workings of the entire community?!?

You're really a joke. What was Pink Floyd's line..."ha ha, Facade you are..." fits you well...

Do you have anything of substance to add?
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Dec 18, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>So you drove down the main drag a few times and now you know the political inner workings of the entire community?!?
You're really a joke. What was Pink Floyd's line..."ha ha, Facade you are..." fits you well...
Do YOU?? Have you ever spent any substantial time down there, or are you basing your OPINIONS on what you read from the internet?
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Dec 18, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>So you drove down the main drag a few times and now you know the political inner workings of the entire community?!?
So, basically, according to the parasite named tick, if you haven't spent your ENTIRE LIFE in a specific community, you can't ever express an informed opinion about such a community. Geez, that would put about 90% of PBS workers out of work, in my opinion.

St. Croix valley

#32 Dec 19, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
Do YOU?? Have you ever spent any substantial time down there, or are you basing your OPINIONS on what you read from the internet?
My entire family is from Duluth. I came back to attend university there. And now live up the north cost from Duluth.

St. Croix valley

#33 Dec 19, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
So, basically, according to the parasite named tick, if you haven't spent your ENTIRE LIFE in a specific community, you can't ever express an informed opinion about such a community. Geez, that would put about 90% of PBS workers out of work, in my opinion.
Your attempts at logic are pretty lame. do you really want to try and defend this attempt also?
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#34 Dec 19, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>My entire family is from Duluth. I came back to attend university there. And now live up the north cost from Duluth.
WELL!! That pretty much explains your entire illogical, irrational, MENTAL STATE!! From Duluth to Grand Portage, I've said for YEARS that most of you are completely NUTS!! Hey, you aren't by chance the LOSER IDIOT who wrote a stupid letter to the Strib complaining about the "Mark Trail" comics lately about the wolves, are you??

Look I don't care what you believe, or what you want, but what you need to realize, is that what you constantly rant about causes a lot of other people to make decisions that HURT the MN economy. Do you not know that??

St. Croix valley

#35 Dec 19, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL!! That pretty much explains your entire illogical, irrational, MENTAL STATE!! From Duluth to Grand Portage, I've said for YEARS that most of you are completely NUTS!! Hey, you aren't by chance the LOSER IDIOT who wrote a stupid letter to the Strib complaining about the "Mark Trail" comics lately about the wolves, are you??
Look I don't care what you believe, or what you want, but what you need to realize, is that what you constantly rant about causes a lot of other people to make decisions that HURT the MN economy. Do you not know that??
Ummm...HUH?

Seriously. I got suckered into doing a stupid project for a friend's friend with totally inadequate info. So I'm stuck here, I'm pissed. I'm drinking heavily. You're stupid as a box of rocks and I'm gonna take it out on you if you attempt to engage in logical discussion any more.

Go. To. Bed.
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#36 Dec 19, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm...HUH?
Seriously. I got suckered into doing a stupid project for a friend's friend with totally inadequate info. So I'm stuck here, I'm pissed. I'm drinking heavily. You're stupid as a box of rocks and I'm gonna take it out on you if you attempt to engage in logical discussion any more.
Go. To. Bed.
Trying to have a rational, logical, reasonable discussion with you about an important, relevant topic, is like trying to play chess with a cage full of rattlesnakes. Tick, you really should try to find another 'profession' to get involved in. Some of us, who are seriously involved here, who want the best of intentions, do not believe HALF of the bullshit that you promote, in ANY DEGREE. Try ing to argue with you is like talking to a 60 year old LAMPSHADE.
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#37 Dec 19, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm...HUH?
Go. To. Bed.
I have a better suggestion... Pull the PLUG on your internet connection, and stay with the lobbyist type uber-liberal phone calls to your favorite flavor-of-the-month LIBERAL politician.
Better for YOU, better for the REST OF THE COUNTRY...

St. Croix valley

#38 Dec 19, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to have a rational, logical, reasonable discussion with you about an important, relevant topic, is like trying to play chess with a cage full of rattlesnakes. Tick, you really should try to find another 'profession' to get involved in. Some of us, who are seriously involved here, who want the best of intentions, do not believe HALF of the bullshit that you promote, in ANY DEGREE. Try ing to argue with you is like talking to a 60 year old LAMPSHADE.
i understand that you can not deal in real facts.

You made a statement about a town you know nothing about. i call you on it. You start bloviating about how i twist facts when all I did was call you out about the basis for your post.

You can't even defend your own posts, so you have to lamely attempt to discredit me.

C'mon, man up and tell us about the political makeup of Duluth.

(you know I'll be able to tell if you just google a site and regurgitate what you read in one minute....)
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#39 Dec 19, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>My entire family is from Duluth. I came back to attend university there. And now live up the north cost from Duluth.
You have my sympathies... SERIOUSLY.

St. Croix valley

#40 Dec 19, 2011
digger wrote:
<quoted text>
You have my sympathies... SERIOUSLY.
Yet we all turned out so much smarter than you...

sympathetic.

Seriously, I'm gonna wrap this up in about 30-60 minutes. Can you hang around as a whipping boy for that long?

I have full confidence you can make that many stupid statements...
Walter

Minneapolis, MN

#41 Dec 19, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>To just stand on a corner and preach, probably not.
To intrude into a rented public space, yes, I would think so.
These issues have come up before. Preachers at gay pride get-togethers in Mpls.

What they do is preach on public property just outside the rented public space. What's wrong with that?

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#42 Dec 19, 2011
Walter wrote:
<quoted text>
These issues have come up before. Preachers at gay pride get-togethers in Mpls.
What they do is preach on public property just outside the rented public space. What's wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing. As much as I think that the Fred Phelps types of the world are inconsiderate, insensitive asshats the still have a right to speak their mind in public. They were, however, denied the "right" to attend the funerals (and protest) of those whom they hold so accountable for the state of our world.

JTY

Since: Sep 08

Lincoln, NE

#43 Dec 19, 2011
Going Forward wrote:
<quoted text>
In Richmond Va it's common for preachers to set up shop on a street corner spouting their message. I'm sure there are other cities this occurs in. It becomes part of their culture. Don't like it don't listen.
Free Country.
Bayfront Festival Park is a public owned park that is rented to private groups (like the Dome). One group rented part of it for a holiday lights/train ride attraction. That group has asked the police to step in to remove the two people from preaching/trespassing. This is not a freedom of speech issue as the land is in effect private property when rented out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Helicopter: White House Lawn 1 hr Not so 11
Vikings Draft Jameis Winston 2 hr Alex Hernandez 2
New Minneapolis Sales Tax to Build 50 Million D... 2 hr Al She Bob 3
Pimples and white people 2 hr FOVR 23
Armenians in Twin Cities, around world recall '... 2 hr Al She Bob 3
Scott Pelley 2 hr FOVR 5
Muslims Throw Christians Overboard 2 hr Al She Bob 2
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE