Sandy Aid Package Includes Millions for Smithsonian, Space Center, Forests

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 14, 2012
The Obama administration’s $60-billion emergency aid package for victims of superstorm Sandy is now caught in the crossfire over the “fiscal cliff,” with some critics questioning why millions of dollars are directed to areas far from the epicenter of the storm.
The request, which still needs the approval of Congress, includes billions in urgently needed aide. But it also features some surprising items:$23 million for tree plantings to “help reduce flood effects, protect water sources, decrease soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat” in forested areas touched by Sandy; $2 million to repair roof damage at Smithsonian buildings in Washington that pre-dates the storm; $4 million to repair sand berms and dunes at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida; and $41 million for clean-up and repairs at eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The FBI is seeking $4 million to replace “vehicles, laboratory and office equipment and furniture,” while Customs and Border Protection wants $2.4 million to replace “destroyed or damaged vehicles, including mobile X-Ray machines.”
The Small Business Administration is seeking a $50 million slice of the pie for its post-storm response efforts, including “Small Business Development Centers and Women’s Business Development Centers.”
The relief package also includes a whopping $13 billion request for “mitigation projects” to prepare for future storms.
These line items, and dozens more like them, have some Republicans balking at the size of the relief request and calling for more time to review the deal. The $60 billion price tag, they say, represents nearly the entire amount of additional revenue the government would collect next year by raising rates on the top 2 percent of taxpayers, as Democrats desire.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#2 Dec 17, 2012
Well it is a standard Democrat political ploy to fill an emergency aid package with pork and then blame the Republicans when it is not passed or held up. If this was truly an emergency aid package it would only have immediate emergency aid money and the rest would be dealt with later.

P.S. Why are we event talking about giving people money for home repairs? Doesn't their home owner's insurance cover it?
Seattle Slew

United States

#3 Dec 17, 2012
NEVER pass up an opportunity to take full advantage of a disaster.

One homeowner built her house elevated and she had no damage.

Three things are needed to prevent future damage:

1) build houses higher

2) don't rebuild any low elevation houses

3) require private insurance for flood damage on all houses

Fact those barrier islands with all the damage were never intended to be built on but meant to be barriers in case of big storms.

I'd give them nothing!!!

Local Government phocked this up they can fix it!
not my dime yours

United States

#4 Dec 17, 2012
that is great if you want to build on a river - lake or an ocean, YOU need to insure it yourself !!! no one gets a FREE ride, just watch that is 60 BILLION with a ( B )!! can you say FRAUD, hey where is my bail out get in line for your free check. What a joke, you pay for the damage, yourself - by living on water no one else.

The Obama administration’s $60-billion emergency aid package for victims of superstorm Sandy is now caught in the crossfire over the “fiscal cliff,” with some critics questioning why millions of dollars are directed to areas far from the epicenter of the storm.
The request, which still needs the approval of Congress, includes billions in urgently needed aide. But it also features some surprising items:$23 million for tree plantings to “help reduce flood effects, protect water sources, decrease soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat” in forested areas touched by Sandy; $2 million to repair roof damage at Smithsonian buildings in Washington that pre-dates the storm; $4 million to repair sand berms and dunes at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida; and $41 million for clean-up and repairs at eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The FBI is seeking $4 million to replace “vehicles, laboratory and office equipment and furniture,” while Customs and Border Protection wants $2.4 million to replace “destroyed or damaged vehicles, including mobile X-Ray machines.”
The Small Business Administration is seeking a $50 million slice of the pie for its post-storm response efforts, including “Small Business Development Centers and Women’s Business Development Centers.”
The relief package also includes a whopping $13 billion request for “mitigation projects” to prepare for future storms.
These line items, and dozens more like them, have some Republicans balking at the size of the relief request and calling for more time to review the deal. The $60 billion price tag, they say, represents nearly the entire amount of additional revenue the government would collect next year by raising rates on the top 2 percent of taxpayers, as Democrats desire.
Seattle Slew

United States

#5 Dec 17, 2012
not my dime yours wrote:
that is great if you want to build on a river - lake or an ocean, YOU need to insure it yourself !!! no one gets a FREE ride, just watch that is 60 BILLION with a ( B )!! can you say FRAUD, hey where is my bail out get in line for your free check. What a joke, you pay for the damage, yourself - by living on water no one else.
And consider how much aid Duluth got for the storm damage this year. I recall they got virtually nothing. Yet when the all mighty east coast is damaged they are right at the hog trough with everyone else paying.

Fraud is right on!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Franken Campaign Goes After McFadden for Sellin... 42 min goose 1
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 3 hr Fair Game 33,104
African Aid Workers Are Not Heros 4 hr cantmakeitup 3
Hillary clinton "businesses dont create jobs" 4 hr cowboy chris 26
How the Dem intend to win this November 5 hr LIbEralS 5
The Liberal Ebola Nurse 5 hr cantmakeitup 4
Viral video documents woman's experience with s... 6 hr Liberal 3
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis People Search