Eagan's New Upscale Outlet Mall

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 4, 2013
Eagan residents are extremely happy with the decision to acquire a blighted, empty shopping mall and replace it with a new outlet mall that will improve the beauty of the area as well as add jobs and tax base to Eagan.

Thank you, Eagan officials!
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 4, 2013
The Truth wrote:
Eagan residents are extremely happy with the decision to acquire a blighted, empty shopping mall and replace it with a new outlet mall that will improve the beauty of the area as well as add jobs and tax base to Eagan.
Thank you, Eagan officials!
Eagan took the area for a mixed use upscale area, like Edina by 50th and France. 5 years,$40 million later, they sell 29 of 45 acres off to an outlet mall developer for $14 million. If the most valuable 29 acres of that development is worth $14 million, the remaining 16 acres won't go for half of that. So Eagan took from small business owners to give to a big development company for the grand purpose of upgrading from individual buildings and a mall that could have been re-developed anyway to an outlet mall less than 10 minutes from the Mall of America.

Eagan took the land, lost 5 years of taxes they were collecting on said land, forced business owners out for an upscale development, and sold most of that land 5 years later for a $26 million loss, not counting lost tax revenue and the interest paid on the $40 million over 5 years.

Yeah, great deal for the citizens of Eagan. Brilliant use of eminent domain, glad the state legislature passed a law against that happening ever again.

Eagan, come for the eminent domain, stay for the outlet mall.
Capt Crunch

Tempe, AZ

#4 Jan 4, 2013
Proposed Eagan Outlet Mall Gets Unanimous Yes Vote

Some of the ritziest names in retail could be coming to Eagan.

A plan to put an upscale outlet mall at Highway 13 and Cedar Avenue received unanimous approval from the Eagan Economic Development Authority (EDA).

The city is now working on a deal to sell the land, which is part of the Cedar Grove Redevelopment site, to the developer behind the proposal - Baltimore-based Paragon Outlets.

The plan calls for up to 100 stores and 400-thousand square feet of retail space.

Eagan Mayor Mike Maguire says the project could create 200 construction jobs and 2,000 retail jobs.

The project still needs the okay from the Planning Commission and the City Council. That process could take up to six months. After that it will take about 12 months to build the mall.

The mayor and the EDA believe this project will compliment not compete with the proposed redevelopment of the Lockheed Martin site.

The EDA commissioned an independent market study to make sure the area could support both.

As for possible stores, Paragon works with companies like Coach, Saks and Barneys New York.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jan 4, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
Proposed Eagan Outlet Mall Gets Unanimous Yes Vote
Some of the ritziest names in retail could be coming to Eagan.
A plan to put an upscale outlet mall at Highway 13 and Cedar Avenue received unanimous approval from the Eagan Economic Development Authority (EDA).
The city is now working on a deal to sell the land, which is part of the Cedar Grove Redevelopment site, to the developer behind the proposal - Baltimore-based Paragon Outlets.
The plan calls for up to 100 stores and 400-thousand square feet of retail space.
Eagan Mayor Mike Maguire says the project could create 200 construction jobs and 2,000 retail jobs.
The project still needs the okay from the Planning Commission and the City Council. That process could take up to six months. After that it will take about 12 months to build the mall.
The mayor and the EDA believe this project will compliment not compete with the proposed redevelopment of the Lockheed Martin site.
The EDA commissioned an independent market study to make sure the area could support both.
As for possible stores, Paragon works with companies like Coach, Saks and Barneys New York.
Not surprising that the same city council members that sit on the economic development board unanimously approved their own debacle.

Capt Crunch

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Jan 4, 2013
What do you have against progress, you little twerp?
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 4, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
What do you have against progress, you little twerp?
Why do you have such a stiffie for outlet malls? Love to shop do you? I especially like the part where it cost the city of Eagan $40 million, they sold 29 of the 45 acres for $14 million,$4 million of which is for a parking ramp the outlet mall needs and Eagan is going to front another $15 million for, so basically, Eagan is still on the hook for $40 million.

Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#8 Jan 4, 2013
I like you FORGETTING the building jobs, the REVENUE taxes, and the management/worker jobs in a BLIGHTED DEAD LAND....

What did they destroy your "hide out" from your mommy ???
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#9 Jan 4, 2013
On the heels of last month's preliminary approval by the Eagan City Council, Paragon announced this week that Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH will be a major anchor store at the 441,000-square-foot, open-air outlet mall.

Paragon has said it will court many of its "retail partners" that are found at the company's other outlet malls, including Brooks Brothers Factory Store, Coach, The Children's Place, DKNY and Nike.

Paragon said the project is expected to bring about 400 construction jobs, and another 1,500 to 2,000 permanent jobs when the mall opens in November 2014.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 5, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
On the heels of last month's preliminary approval by the Eagan City Council, Paragon announced this week that Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH will be a major anchor store at the 441,000-square-foot, open-air outlet mall.
Paragon has said it will court many of its "retail partners" that are found at the company's other outlet malls, including Brooks Brothers Factory Store, Coach, The Children's Place, DKNY and Nike.
Paragon said the project is expected to bring about 400 construction jobs, and another 1,500 to 2,000 permanent jobs when the mall opens in November 2014.
"It's a very big step," city administrator Tom Hedges said of the purchase agreement. "We're excited about (Paragon's) ability to develop the property -- we feel it's consistent with our long-term plans."

The purchase agreement includes $5.8 million for the land, an additional $3.5 million for the relocation of Cedar Grove Boulevard and $1.2 million to move a gas pipeline.

Paragon is also chipping in $4.2 million for a $19 million
multi-level parking ramp the city will build, own and maintain, said Gene VanOverbeke, Eagan's director of administrative services.
The city had hoped Paragon would buy an additional 6 acres for the ramp and also own it, he said, but the company had no desire to do so.

The plan is for the city to issue bonds to pay for the ramp and repay them through tax-increment financing revenue.

Obama was against corporate welfare? Eagan isn't.

Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#11 Jan 5, 2013
Isn't it time to spam your welcome to Eagan spiel ???

How sad are these Eagen threads, when you're the ONLY person who "cares" and everyone else understands YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY !!!

Want to borrow 15 cents ?? LMAOROTFU~!

Tell the "man of your family" hello and I hope SHE had a nice Christmas... LMAOROTFU~!
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 5, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
Isn't it time to spam your welcome to Eagan spiel ???
How sad are these Eagen threads, when you're the ONLY person who "cares" and everyone else understands YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY !!!
Want to borrow 15 cents ?? LMAOROTFU~!
Tell the "man of your family" hello and I hope SHE had a nice Christmas... LMAOROTFU~!
Lose the argument, turn the replies personal, nice touch mr low integrity poster, although not unexpected or without precedent on your part. I would even offer that personal attacks from you as you lose the argument are to be expected, as is your lack of comprehension.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#14 Jan 6, 2013
Eagan, come for the fruit loops, stay to annoy the whiny bytches.. Who DON'T believe in quality of life, improving job prospects, or development...

I see why you can't afford a home, no instant cash flow, right L-O-S-E-R ~!

Personal ??? I like strong women and mean this sincerely, poor loser.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 6, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
Eagan, come for the fruit loops, stay to annoy the whiny bytches.. Who DON'T believe in quality of life, improving job prospects, or development...
Personal ??? I like strong women and mean this sincerely, poor loser.
"It's a very big step," city administrator Tom Hedges said of the purchase agreement. "We're excited about (Paragon's) ability to develop the property -- we feel it's consistent with our long-term plans."

The purchase agreement includes $5.8 million for the land, an additional $3.5 million for the relocation of Cedar Grove Boulevard and $1.2 million to move a gas pipeline.

Paragon is also chipping in $4.2 million for a $19 million
multi-level parking ramp the city will build, own and maintain, said Gene VanOverbeke, Eagan's director of administrative services.
The city had hoped Paragon would buy an additional 6 acres for the ramp and also own it, he said, but the company had no desire to do so.

The plan is for the city to issue bonds to pay for the ramp and repay them through tax-increment financing revenue.

Obama was against corporate welfare? Eagan isn't.

Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#18 Jan 6, 2013

So, you know nothing about improving property value and everything about spamming, right troll ???

non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 6, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
So, you know nothing about improving property value and everything about spamming, right troll ???
I get it now, I get it now. You are attempting to break the Guiness Book of World Records record for most stupid posts in a second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year, and decade. I think you are a shoo-in. Good luck.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#20 Jan 6, 2013
I'm a shoe in, but you're a off topic spamming, loser, mor-on.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Jan 6, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
I'm a shoe in, but you're a off topic spamming, loser, mor-on.
You should really work on that spelling before you correct the spelling of others mr low integrity poster.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sho...

Definition of SHOO-IN

: one that is a certain and easy winner

See shoo–in defined for English-language learners »

See shoo-in defined for kids »

First Known Use of SHOO-IN

Related to SHOO-IN

Synonyms: cinch, lock, shoo-in, slam dunk
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#22 Jan 6, 2013
When you mater commas, I'll consider words you can spell multiple ways... Poor moron...
Sure, just like you, right hypocrite ??? LMAOROTFU~
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#23 Jan 6, 2013
When you master commas, I'll consider words you can spell multiple ways... Poor moron...
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Jan 6, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
When you mater commas, I'll consider words you can spell multiple ways... Poor moron...
You go right on ahead, "mater".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
N. Korea calls Obama a 'monkey' 2 hr Cheta 1
CNN at the Dead Cops Funeral 16 hr Icantbreathe 5
America: It's Black against White 16 hr Kim Jong Obama 1
Thanks Obama for low gas pricex 18 hr Sunshine 12
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) Fri LIbEralS 292
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... Fri LIbEralS 19
Mall of America Protest Thu Go Blue Forever 34
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web