Tom Powers: Bill Smith not worried ab...

Tom Powers: Bill Smith not worried about AL Central opponents leaving Twins behind

There are 31 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 9, 2010, titled Tom Powers: Bill Smith not worried about AL Central opponents leaving Twins behind. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Oh yeah? Well, Bill Smith and the Twins ain't scared! "The White Sox signed Adam Dunn? Good for them," Smith said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FMC651

Rochester, MN

#1 Dec 9, 2010
But you can sign someone to improve your team can't you Bill? Or are you saying none of the available players would help the team? Crawford wouldn't help the Twins Bill? I believe the Pohlads are ready to sell the team. I just wish they sell it to a owner willing to spend money for improvements.
Crankenstein

Mankato, MN

#2 Dec 9, 2010
Please Twins....I implore you....do not trade away Delmon Young. As a ball player myself, I understand his flaws but my God, the inability for this franchise to develope or aquire anyone who can hit for power and average from the right side of the plate has been a constant issue since Gaetti/Kirby/Bruno were teamed up.

Guys like Delmon simply do not grow on trees and the upside to his game cannot be understated.
Politically Incorrect

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 10, 2010
"So the Twins are going back to a more traditional approach. Instead of filling positions by signing veterans, they will fill them with younger players."

Meaning cheaper approach. Well I guess if you are perpetually going to go one and done you might as well save a little money on the process.
twell

Hopkins, MN

#6 Dec 10, 2010
As long as the Twins build to simply be "competitive" this is what we can all expect. As long as Gardy is the coach....The big Teams will own the Twins...Bill Smith and Gardy are "status quo" people who just plug along, field a "competitive" team....challenge for the central division(worst division in league" and they are happy! Well the fans get it now...and we are not happy!
mema

Worthington, MN

#7 Dec 10, 2010
smith sounds like the most recent playoff drubbing was a new thing! He forgot to mention all the other consecutive losses in the playoffs(most to the Yankees)He doesn't have a real good handle on how to make a championship team. Casilla starting at second?? If the Tigers and Sox get serious, the Twins are in trouble!
Pat

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Dec 10, 2010
"Bill Smith not worried about AL Central opponents leaving Twins behind." Well that makes one of us.

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

#9 Dec 10, 2010
"You can't run scared of any team in the first round. We had a good team. We won 94 games. We just picked a bad time not to play well. I hope we get that opportunity again."

So what was the excuse for getting bounced in the first round the other times Bill? Sounds like the Twins picked an awful lot of times to not play well these past few years with you as the GM and Gardenfire as manager.

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

#10 Dec 10, 2010
twell wrote:
As long as the Twins build to simply be "competitive" this is what we can all expect. As long as Gardy is the coach....The big Teams will own the Twins...Bill Smith and Gardy are "status quo" people who just plug along, field a "competitive" team....challenge for the central division(worst division in league" and they are happy! Well the fans get it now...and we are not happy!
100% agreed. Maybe some kool-aid drinking homers like that we're "good enough", but any real fan of the game knows that's a joke. You play to win a championship, not to be competitive. Anything less should be unacceptable to players, management, and fans alike. You think the Yankees players, management and fans thought last year was a success? Not a chance.
get a clue will you

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 10, 2010
POLITICALLY INCORRECT - Define "cheaper approach"
You do realize, don't you, that the Twins had the 11th highest payroll in 2010 at $97.5 million. And that figure is expected to go up if they resign Pavano and/or Thome.
I would rather give the younger players, at a cheaper price, the opportunity to play for the ball club then OVER pay some veteran who puts up the exact same type of numbers. Lets be realistic - Crawford, Lee nor Jayson Werth were ever in our budget.
Shaper

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 10, 2010
The White Sox and Tigers sign guys every year. But don't win. Your asking the Twins to submit to peer pressure. It's the other teams that should model the Twins. I'd take what the Twins are doing any day. In the end, it's pitching and defense. Adam Dunn and Victor Martinez are two of the worst defensive players at their respective positions.
Look at the history guys. The Twins are the ones winning the division most of the time.

Since: Jan 09

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 10, 2010
Shaper wrote:
The White Sox and Tigers sign guys every year. But don't win. Your asking the Twins to submit to peer pressure. It's the other teams that should model the Twins. I'd take what the Twins are doing any day. In the end, it's pitching and defense. Adam Dunn and Victor Martinez are two of the worst defensive players at their respective positions.
Look at the history guys. The Twins are the ones winning the division most of the time.
Spoken like a true, Twins' kool-aid-drinking loser. If you're content to just win the division every other year, then they have suckered you in with all the other kool-aid drinkers. Boston and NY fans laugh - justifiably - at people like you. "We're just happy to content." Winning franchises build teams to win championships, not divisions.

And by the way, the Tigers reached the World Series in 2006 and may have won if not for untimely errors by their pitchers.
The White Sox won in 2005.

So much for your theory that they don't win.
Cholopulous

New York, NY

#14 Dec 10, 2010
Delmon Young??? UH....the twins have too many left handed bats as it is...Kubel and Denard Span would be better for the twins to get rid of...would love to see greinke, but ain't gonna happen...
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#15 Dec 10, 2010
Despite GM Smith's protestations, the Tigers and Chisox are improved and both will be a serious threat to the Twins repeating as AL central champions. The loss of Hardy is significant. Yes, one of the RP's may work out as important to the bull-pen, but that is far from apparent. The team is counting on Casilla? Wow, that trust is missplaced!

I agree that having Thome would be the best - very few can be part time hitters successfully. However, I would rather rotate Kubel, Young, and Cuddyer in the corner OF and DH spot. All three are vital to the teams success. This situation all but disappeared in 2010 due to Morneau's injury that necesitated Cuddyer's move to full time firstbase duties.
Keep Delmon

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Dec 10, 2010
Stop the trade Delmon Young talk. The guy should have been named Twins MVP last year. With the lone exception of fielding, the guy was a stud.
Sad Twins Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 10, 2010
Bill Smith is in la la land. The Twins will be lucky to make the playoffs this year and will bow out again. Our model for building teams doesn't work anymore. The times have changed. It seems to me the Twins and Gophers have that same philosophy. Try to sell everyone on the cheap and hope for the best. Maybe when both of the new stadiums are sitting EMPTY they will finally realize this. I mean, really. At least show the fans your TRYING to do something to compete...
brachiosaurus

Attleboro, MA

#18 Dec 10, 2010
Thome is a great player. What may decide Thome is whether he feels that the Twins can make it to the World Series. He'll sign with someone who has a shot. With Nishioka probably coming aboard, it would be nice to get another Japanese player, but not a DH-only if Thome doesn't return. A lot depends on Morneau's readiness. With Morneau, Mauer, and Kubel, the Twins have the left-handed hitters. A twenty-five player roster doesn't give a team many options if it goes with 12 pitchers and has one guy who can only DH. The Twins have Kubel to DH and could DH Morneau or Mauer more often if the players on the bench have the flexibility to play the field.

Pavano brought a lot to the Twins last season, but the Twins need a Cy Young caliber guy. Wouldn't it be nice If the Twins had a rotation and of Greinke, Pavano, Liriano, Duensing and fill-in-the-blank going into the season?

Since: Mar 09

Saint Augustine, FL

#19 Dec 10, 2010
It would help if Smith could get value in return with the trades he has made. He does wonders in bolstering other team's rosters at the expense of his.
mr smooth

Fredericksburg, TX

#20 Dec 10, 2010
forget all these d.h.'s. we have one dear old delmon young. why would a big league team put him in the outfield-- he can't catch most fly balls. he is only valuable as a d.h.; nothing more. we need ball players; pohlads
andy g

Chicago, IL

#21 Dec 10, 2010
Too bad KC won't ake SLowey and Blackburn for Grienke...keep Delmon Young as he cost us Bartlett and Garza.
Politically Incorrect

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Dec 10, 2010
get a clue will you wrote:
POLITICALLY INCORRECT - Define "cheaper approach"
You do realize, don't you, that the Twins had the 11th highest payroll in 2010 at $97.5 million. And that figure is expected to go up if they resign Pavano and/or Thome.
I would rather give the younger players, at a cheaper price, the opportunity to play for the ball club then OVER pay some veteran who puts up the exact same type of numbers. Lets be realistic - Crawford, Lee nor Jayson Werth were ever in our budget.
Let's see, Casilla cheaper than Hardy at S.S., Nishioka cheaper than Hudson at 2nd. The new guy from Baltimore who is expected to be in the bullpen will be cheaper than any of relievers we let go, we can wait and see who will fill the rest of pen and what their salaries are. Yes the team salary will go up some because Mauer's contract almost doubles but it looks like they are trying to save that and more on the rest of the team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The end of Madcow 34 min Davycrockett 8
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr Logic Is Dead 37,412
My pillow guy 11 hr Crassus 64
Nobody likes them 14 hr Crassus 9
Trump Bashing Emmys Hit Worst Ratings Ever 14 hr Crassus 4
California wants all blacks 14 hr Cat Fan 4
Boycotting The NFL Has Led To Declining Televis... 16 hr Maggie 3

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages