ADHD Study: Should we wait or medicate?

Full story: KARE Minneapolis

Two new studies are out suggesting some children with ADHD may simply out grow the disorder.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Grace

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

I think it is wise to wait and medicate only if nessecary. We try to medicate everything now adays and sometimes it is not appropreiate. Like saying young children have Bipolar disorder (aren't all children bipolar) What is there to medicate they grow up.

Since: Mar 08

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Physicians treat ADHD with medications. But ask your doctor. He will be the first to tell you the medicines he prescribes will not get rid of ADHD. It just will take care of the symptoms for a while. And when the medicine wears off- well, it’s better not to have anyone around your child at that time.

But it is worse than that. According to an article published in the American Journal of Psychiatry, medication does nothing to improve a child’s academic performance or social development. In fact the researcher found “no significant long-terms benefits of taking medication” for ADHD. Many other long-term studies back this up.
Heather Picton

Bellville, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

A problem becomes a problem when it causes a problem. If the symptoms are causing a problem and he is not coping at home or at school the difficulties should be recognised and investigated. A healthy eating lifestyle enables the body to function at higher levels and as a result many of the symptoms become less severe. Supplements help even more. This will support any therapies the child may need - faster response and possibly fewer sessions needed. If medication is implicated then lower doses may be needed.
caligirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2008

Sorry Johnaerica. I haven't been to this site in a while! In hopes I may still be of help, my son is on Concerta.

Good luck to you and your son.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

Most parents have never heard of him, but Joseph Biederman of Harvard may be the United States’ most influential doctor when it comes to determining whether their children are normal or mentally ill.

In 1996, for example, Biederman suggested that drugs like Ritalin might serve 10 percent of American kids for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. By 2004, one in nine 11-year-old boys was taking the drug. Biederman and his team also are more responsible than anyone for a child bipolar epidemic sweeping America (and no other country) that has 2-year-olds on three or four psychiatric drugs.

The science of children’s psychiatric medications is so primitive and Biederman’s influence so great that when he merely mentions a drug during a presentation, tens of thousands of children within a year or two will end up taking that drug, or combination of drugs. This happens in the absence of a drug trial of any kind - instead, the decision is based upon word of mouth among the 7,000 child psychiatrists in America.

That’s why Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley’s recent revelation that Biederman did not declare $1.6 million in drug company consulting fees is so important, scary and tragic. If true, this scandal is yet one more stake in the heart of American academic medicine’s credibility with frontline doctors like me - and more importantly, with the parents of the patients I deal with every day.

http://seroxatsecrets.wordpress.com/2008/07/1...

Since: Apr 07

Hastings

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Very often medication is prescribed because there is not enough help available in schools to cope with an ADHD child. Provide help and then medication if it is still needed.
http://www.fromtots2teens.com/ADHD.html

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

ADD / ADHD and the other mental illnesses is about money. The school board receives money for each child diagnosed with anyone of the "made to order" bogus mental illnesses like ADD/ ADHD. The program is called IDEA.

The child is victimized and tagged for the rest of his life on this bogus disease and is drugged by the mental health industry (psychiatry) that has no medical model and admitted to fraud in the chemical imbalance theory. There is no test for chemical imbalance.

If you are alone on an island you could develop a real disease like cancer or heart disease, but you cannot develop a mental illness such as hyperactivity or schizophrenia (others). This is because mental illness is always diagnosed on some sort of social conflict when people do something that others find objectionable.

If the person doing the diagnosing is more powerful that the person diagnosed, then there´s trouble. In this sense, the diagnosis of mental illness is always a weapon."
(Dr. Schaler on Psychiatry)

----------

There Are No "Chemical Imbalances"

"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical. No experiment has ever shown that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. Nor could any conceivable experiment demonstrate the existence of a "chemical imbalance," simply because no one, least of all the biopsychiatrists, has the slightest idea what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" would look like."

"...the views and beliefs of biopsychiatry have nothing to do with the answers to scientific questions in any case: the hunt for biological "causes" of "mental illness" is an entirely fallacious enterprise in the first place; the non- existence of data to support its assertions is quite beside the point."

"The latest edition of one pharmacology text has this to say about the status of depression as a disease: "Despite extensive efforts, attempts to document the metabolic changes in human subjects predicted by these [biological] hypotheses have not, on balance, provided consistent or compelling corroboration." This is a long-winded way of admitting that not even a scrap of evidence supports the idea that depression results from a "chemical imbalance." Yet patients are told every day - by their doctors, by the media, and by drug company advertising - that it is a proven scientific fact that depression has a known biochemical origin. It follows directly that millions of Americans are being lied to by their doctors; and people surely can't give informed consent for drug treatment when what they're being "informed" by a fraud.... To sum up: there is no evidence whatsoever to support the view that "mental illness" is biochemical in origin; in other words, things like "Unipolar Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" simply do not exist."

http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...

----------

How Teenage Rebellion Has Become a Mental Illness
http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/75081/...

NO RX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

I have a five year old daughter who started kindergarten this month. The first week of school the teacher started sending home notes saying that she was very talkative in class and that she was displaying negative behaviors. This scared me because a counselor once told me when she was 3 years old that she would need ritalin basically saying that she had ADHD. Well I am determined NOT to medicate my child so I began doing research on natural remedies to help children who suffer from ADHD. After going to various websites I compiled a list of known vitamins/minerals which are good for children displaying ADHD like behaviors. I then searched for a children's multivitamin which contained all of the vitamins/minerals on my list. Flinstones Multivitamin/multimineral complete was the one that I chose because it had everything on the list. Those included magnesium, iron, B6, and zinc. I also tried some of the foods suggested by these websites. One food was bananas which, i made her eat before leaving for school. I literally gave her the vitamin this past sunday evening and monday morning around 11a the teacher called me from the class letting me know that her behavior had changed dramatically. She even received a good report on Tuesday. I also cut back on her milk intake. So before you consider RX medications try multivitamins, and change their diets.

Since: Aug 09

Stony Brook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2009

Johnaerica, like Ive said in a few other posts, I think medicine CAN be effective, but it has to be per each. Some things work for some, and have absolutely no effect on others.

Also, there are other things that you can do - such as building new habits and learning new ways to use your brain (ADD ppl are usually quite brilliant).

I think the key is in trying everything, and finding that exact combination that works for you, regardless of whether or not it includes medication.

----------

A.D.D. Articles and learning
http://www.electrifly.net

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Lindsey wrote:
I'm not sure I believe that children outgrow this disorder. What does happen with patience, love, guidance, help from the academic community, and help from the medical community, including medication if needed, is that as they grow they learn different coping skills to deal with this disorder that may allow them to decrease or eliminate their medication.
I have raised a child with ADHD. I am thankful that her first grade teacher noticed something right away. I took her to her doctor to be evaluated for ADHD and medication was prescribed. She also has an underlying borderline learning disability. She had been told throughout her middle school and high school years that she would never go to college. This coming from teachers who unfortunately did not understand this disorder.
Given the high rate of substance abuse, depression, and low self-esteem that is prevelent in children with ADHD I fail to understand why parents, educatrs or even some in the medical community are so resistant to using medication if it can help. If a child is diagnosed with diabetes or depression it would be considered negligent not to treat those disorders with whatever means is available, including medication.
I feel the same about ADHD. The ramifications to the child, not to mention the social ramifications with higher rates of unemployment, incarceration, divorce, are significant. To me, taking a wait and see approach is generally not in the best interests of the child when it is so crucial to catch this as early as possible and to instill good learning habits appropriate to the way the child learns, self-esteem and self-worth, all while helping the child to learn to stay on task, control their impulses, recognize consequences to their actions to enable them to have productive lives.
I am happy to say that my daughter is now 23 and just about to graduate from college. It has taken her a few years longer than 4 years to obtain a college degree, in addition to working almost full time to help pay for her education. She has worked very hard, overcome many obstacles including the stigma of having ADHD. She has continued to remain on her medication throughout her college career and if deemed appropriate by her physician, she will remain on her medication to help her with her employment.
They don't outgrow it.
One way to deal with it is to give them coffee. Seems that in some cases, It works better than ritalin.
Louis

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 31 of31
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 min Ben 26,174
It HAPPENED Murder in Muderapolis during All star 3 min Bellweather 2
Eric Holder another BIG LIAR from the Obuma Admin (Oct '11) 6 min Bellweather 23
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 12 min ritedownthemiddle 31,862
Minnesota firefighters to search for 2 hikers 13 min Bellweather 2
Global cooling 'undeniable,' scientists say 15 min Bellweather 15
St Paul wants DIVERSE transportation 16 min Bellweather 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••