Labor faces a moment of truth

Labor faces a moment of truth

There are 20665 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 21, 2011, titled Labor faces a moment of truth. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As organized labor hails an unprecedented moment of unity playing out amid a sea of supporters marching in Madison, Wis., union officials elsewhere are quietly wringing their hands about the risks of a high-stakes and historic loss against Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22578 Oct 12, 2012
El Rushbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I though ROMNEY brought Big Bird into the national spotlight. Instead of laying out the specifics of his budget plan - you know, the plan where the numbers don't add up - Romney chose to attack Big Bird.
Please explain why we give "big bird" 7 million taxpayer dollars when sesame street earns 126 million annually on its own?

The actor who wears that costume makes over 300,000 a year.

500 million, the amount given to PBS, appears quite specific.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22579 Oct 12, 2012
Sesame street isn't PBS, any kid knows that.... Funny, RawMoney makes 20 million without working, but not a peep from you.

http://romneymakes.com/
Love CHILD LABOR !!
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22580 Oct 12, 2012
kevlar wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain why we give "big bird" 7 million taxpayer dollars when sesame street earns 126 million annually on its own?
The actor who wears that costume makes over 300,000 a year.
500 million, the amount given to PBS, appears quite specific.
Btw- If WE give Big Bird $7 million how does he earn $300k ?? Nice lie, guy...
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22581 Oct 12, 2012
Caroll Spinney has been portraying Big Bird and Oscar for over four decades (!!!) and he makes $314,000 a year. Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory, a show that has only been on a few years, makes $200,000 per episode. It's all about perspective. Being an actor is feast or famine. The talented ones rise to the top and the truly talented ones stay there. Mr. Spinney deserves to be paid what he is worth. And if this recent news brouhaha has proven anything, it's that people really, really love Big Bird.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#22582 Oct 13, 2012
NoBlamer 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
and yet here you are
she asked you to drop it loser
ask your affirmative action food stamp loser in chief why he cut security
put credit where credit is due moron
Eternally stupid azzhole - republicans cut 300 million from security douche bag;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2...

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f153/gops-embass...

Instead of blowing your mouth off douche bag, supply facts / or STFU!

Since: Apr 12

Saint Paul, MN

#22583 Oct 13, 2012
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eternally stupid azzhole - republicans cut 300 million from security douche bag;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2...
http://www.lipstickalley.com/f153/gops-embass...
Instead of blowing your mouth off douche bag, supply facts / or STFU!
That's not what your source says.
"The facts: Ryan's budget plan would have cut non-defense discretionary spending by 19% in 2014, according to The Hill newspaper. The blueprint doesn't specify cuts to embassy security, but the Obama campaign says the figure — if applied across the board — would result in a $300 million decrease in funding for protection, construction and maintenance of all U.S. embassies. The Romney campaign disputed the claim, saying no specific cuts were recommended."
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22584 Oct 13, 2012
SO, the reality is right wing nuts wanted to cut embassy security, but some children cannot read ??? Does your mommy know you're a moron ??? LMAOROTFU~!

Since: Apr 12

Saint Paul, MN

#22585 Oct 13, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
SO, the reality is right wing nuts wanted to cut embassy security, but some children cannot read ??? Does your mommy know you're a moron ??? LMAOROTFU~!
"The Romney campaign disputed the claim, saying no specific cuts were recommended."
Don't libs usually complain that Repubs are not willing to cut defense spending? And now when they are willing its a bad thing?
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22586 Oct 13, 2012
Love the guy "running for president" no specific cuts were recommended ??? Hell, NO SPECIFICS ARE OFFERED AT ALL and when/if he does, WAIT TIL TOMORROW !!!
kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22587 Oct 13, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
Caroll Spinney has been portraying Big Bird and Oscar for over four decades (!!!) and he makes $314,000 a year. Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory, a show that has only been on a few years, makes $200,000 per episode. It's all about perspective. Being an actor is feast or famine. The talented ones rise to the top and the truly talented ones stay there. Mr. Spinney deserves to be paid what he is worth. And if this recent news brouhaha has proven anything, it's that people really, really love Big Bird.
You are funny, and inept.

Sesame street gets 7 million of the half billion given to CPB through PBS.

You and all of your union/progressive/liberal/soci alist fellow travelers are pathetic.
kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22588 Oct 13, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
Next time you decide to copy and paste directly from another source, you should consider putting it in quotes and attributing the source.

Unless you are taurine_cat from Portland?

Pathetic, as I said.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22589 Oct 13, 2012
kevlar wrote:
<quoted text>
You are funny, and inept.
Sesame street gets 7 million of the half billion given to CPB through PBS.
You and all of your union/progressive/liberal/soci alist fellow travelers are pathetic.
Can't be, the last time you posted "the truth" you said it was paid to big bird, unless you're a LIAR ??? LMAOROTfu ~! Too EZ, child...
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22590 Oct 13, 2012
“The federal investment in public broadcasting equals about one one-hundredth of one percent of the federal budget,” PBS’ statement said.“Elimination of funding would have virtually no impact on the nation’s debt. Yet the loss to the American public would be devastating.

“As a stated supporter of education, Governor Romney should be a champion of public broadcasting, yet he is willing to wipe out services that reach the vast majority of Americans, including under served audiences, such as children who cannot attend preschool and citizens living in rural areas.”

As Forbes noted, with the federal subsidy accounting for only about 12 percent of PBS’ revenue, eliminating it likely would not have any detrimental effects, but nor would it put any kind of real dent in the budget deficit:
Click here to find out more!

For fiscal year 2010, federal funding for PBS through [the Corporation for Public Broadcasting] accounted for about 12% of PBS’ revenue. In terms of dollars, that works out to about $300 million. There’s not much wiggle room to be had: the money that actually goes to CPB is split according to a mostly statutory formula. For 2015, Congress has budgeted $445 million for CPB. That’s less than 1% of the budget. Way less. It’s about 1/100th of a 1%.

PBS CEO and President Paula Kerger said on CNN that the money from the federal government goes not to PBS as a whole, but to its member stations that would be forced to go off the air if the funding was pulled.

“With the enormous problems facing our country the fact that we are the focus is just unbelievable to me,” Kerger said.“We‘re America’s biggest classroom. We touch children across the country in every home. Whether you have books in your home or computer or not, almost everyone has a television set.”

She added,“The fact that we are in this debate — this is not about the budget. It has to be about politics.”
kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22591 Oct 13, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>Can't be, the last time you posted "the truth" you said it was paid to big bird, unless you're a LIAR ??? LMAOROTfu ~! Too EZ, child...
Or...you don't know anything about quotation marks in any context.
kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22592 Oct 13, 2012
But since you correctly used them in your last post I'll just attribute it to being deliberately obtuse on top of pathetic.

“"Beau-Se'ant”

Since: Jan 09

Manchester

#22593 Oct 16, 2012
Barack Hussein Obama, the outsourcer in chief:

Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22594 Oct 16, 2012
rolls/ball sack boi<quoted text> If you can find a flux capacitor, I will travel back in time with Michael J Fox, log in to Topix, and complain about Bush, Sure! You wont catch me defending Bush. He made PLENTY of mistakes.
I have never said Bush didn't make mistakes. I will even admit that they affected Obama's presidency...
IrishMN <quoted text>
When have you ever seen me beating the drum for Bush by saying he did not start diggin us into the hole we are in?
The best thing Bush did was leave office.
We could not afford 4 more years of GWB.....
Yet, ALL of you hypocrite humper bois CRY, whenever we mention ANY Bush culpability !??? WOW ! What a pair.... Mae West would be proud of you boobs ! LMAOROTF !
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22595 Oct 16, 2012
Templar, the guy who brags he put the kids through college, but then cites THEIR scholarships ???

Yeah, NUT CASE ALERT !!!
kevlar

Chillicothe, MO

#22596 Oct 17, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
rolls/ball sack boi<quoted text> If you can find a flux capacitor, I will travel back in time with Michael J Fox, log in to Topix, and complain about Bush, Sure! You wont catch me defending Bush. He made PLENTY of mistakes.
I have never said Bush didn't make mistakes. I will even admit that they affected Obama's presidency...
IrishMN <quoted text>
When have you ever seen me beating the drum for Bush by saying he did not start diggin us into the hole we are in?
The best thing Bush did was leave office.
We could not afford 4 more years of GWB.....
Yet, ALL of you hypocrite humper bois CRY, whenever we mention ANY Bush culpability !??? WOW ! What a pair.... Mae West would be proud of you boobs ! LMAOROTF !
We can talk when Mr Obama, or any of you dingle berries acknowledge any of the presidents failures in the past four years, of which there are many.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#22597 Oct 17, 2012
WOW !?? Try English, facts, and adult conversation, unless you're a moron unfit Mitt supporter...then we "understand"...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Orlando 12 hr OK Barry 40
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 23 hr LIbEralS 517
Right now!!!!!!! Sun space ace 2
britain leaves EU, new world order stunned Sun cowboy chris 11
News Pride Weekend Kick-Off Parties Sat Joe Balls 5
Typical Minnesota Voter Sat Phineas 6
News Fourth of July Fireworks in Minnesota Jun 25 Phineas 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages