Labor faces a moment of truth

Labor faces a moment of truth

There are 20665 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 21, 2011, titled Labor faces a moment of truth. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As organized labor hails an unprecedented moment of unity playing out amid a sea of supporters marching in Madison, Wis., union officials elsewhere are quietly wringing their hands about the risks of a high-stakes and historic loss against Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#22009 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Clinton favored it.
The Republicans put it on his desk. But hey, don't blame them. Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
good thing no democrats wanted it right?

Since: Apr 12

Hugo, MN

#22010 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny what that ad says is that Obama made the decision. Mitt Romney is on record saying the idea o that raid was foolish along with even putting in a lot of effort to find Bin Laden.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/04 /30/arianna-huffington-rips-ob ama-for-osama-ad-one-of-the-mo st-despicable-things/

Who would have seen this coming?

On Monday’s “CBS This Morning,” Huffington Post editor-in-chief Arianna Huffington condemned President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign for an ad questioning whether or not presumtive GOP nominee Mitt Romney would have killed Osama bin Laden.

The campaign ad features former President Bill Clinton applauding Obama, and takes what some say are Romney’s own words out of context to score political points. The Romney campaign condemned the ad and Huffington agreed.

“I agree with the Romney campaign,” she said.

“Using the Osama bin Laden assassination, killing, the great news we had a year ago, in order to say basically that Obama did it and Romney may not have done it, which is really the — which is the message — I don’t think there should be an ad about that. I think it’s one thing to celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It’s one thing to have an NBC special from the ‘Situation Room’… all of that is perfectly legitimate. But to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.”

Huffington likened it to a 2008 campaign ad from Hillary Clinton questioning if Obama would have the wherewithal to react properly to a hypothetical emergency 3 a.m. phone call.

“It’s the same thing Hillary Clinton did with the 3 a.m. call — you know,‘You’re not ready to be commander-in-chief,’” she continued.“It’s also what makes politicians and political leaders act irrationally when it comes to matters of war because they’re so afraid to be called wimps, that they make decisions, which are incredible destructive for the country. I’m sure the president would not have escalated in Afghanistan if he was not as concerned, as Democrats are, that Republicans are going to use not escalating against him in a campaign.”

Hugo, MN

#22012 May 8, 2012

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#22013 May 8, 2012
Trolls wrote:
<quoted text> http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/30/arianna-huf...
Who would have seen this coming?
On Monday’s “CBS This Morning,” Huffington Post editor-in-chief Arianna Huffington condemned President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign for an ad questioning whether or not presumtive GOP nominee Mitt Romney would have killed Osama bin Laden.
The campaign ad features former President Bill Clinton applauding Obama, and takes what some say are Romney’s own words out of context to score political points. The Romney campaign condemned the ad and Huffington agreed.
“I agree with the Romney campaign,” she said.
“Using the Osama bin Laden assassination, killing, the great news we had a year ago, in order to say basically that Obama did it and Romney may not have done it, which is really the — which is the message — I don’t think there should be an ad about that. I think it’s one thing to celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It’s one thing to have an NBC special from the ‘Situation Room’… all of that is perfectly legitimate. But to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.”
Huffington likened it to a 2008 campaign ad from Hillary Clinton questioning if Obama would have the wherewithal to react properly to a hypothetical emergency 3 a.m. phone call.
“It’s the same thing Hillary Clinton did with the 3 a.m. call — you know,‘You’re not ready to be commander-in-chief,’” she continued.“It’s also what makes politicians and political leaders act irrationally when it comes to matters of war because they’re so afraid to be called wimps, that they make decisions, which are incredible destructive for the country. I’m sure the president would not have escalated in Afghanistan if he was not as concerned, as Democrats are, that Republicans are going to use not escalating against him in a campaign.”
Unlike Republican trolls, liberals tend to have & express opinions against the party's interests.

So what. You found a liberal that agrees with you. BFD.

The really funny part is Republicans had no problem questioning a Democrat's ability to make that call & that was OK. But when Obama questions Romney's, you have a fit. What a hypocrite.

I recall Cheney saying Kerry was inept & we would be "hit" if he were elected.

Quit being such a crybaby. This was was about making the call.

Obama said in the campaign, he would go into Pakistan to get Bin Laden with or without the Pakistanis. Romney called it "Foolish".

That is a difference. Why not advertise it.

Hugo, MN

#22014 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike Republican trolls, liberals tend to have & express opinions against the party's interests.
So what. You found a liberal that agrees with you. BFD.
The really funny part is Republicans had no problem questioning a Democrat's ability to make that call & that was OK. But when Obama questions Romney's, you have a fit. What a hypocrite.
I recall Cheney saying Kerry was inept & we would be "hit" if he were elected.
Quit being such a crybaby. This was was about making the call.
Obama said in the campaign, he would go into Pakistan to get Bin Laden with or without the Pakistanis. Romney called it "Foolish".
That is a difference. Why not advertise it.
Jeez Davie boy, a little sensitive this morning? Show me exactly where I "have a fit". Obama made the right call, I will give him credit for that. However, I did not like the fact that in his first commercial he was using "I" statements about getting Osama. Yes Obama made a correct, and difficult decision, but our brave SEALS were the ones who "got" OBL.

Newville, PA

#22015 May 8, 2012
jw in the grove wrote:
<quoted text>good thing no democrats wanted it right?
I never said no Democrats wanted.

I said it was primarily a Republican effort.

House of Representatives:

Republicans 156 Yes 43 No
Democrats 102 Yes 156 No

US Senate:

Republicans 34 Yes 10 No
Democrats 27 Yes 28 No

As a whole, Democrats voted it down.

As a whole Republicans voted it in.

The Republicans put this on Clinton's desk.

Why do you right wingers have to blame this on Democrats when your party thought it up, negotiated it.

Signed the treaty and voted for it in Congress by 76%?

Me, I'm thinking most of you have no clue about NAFTA. You're just uninformed, uneducated, and duped into blaming Democrats.

I like NAFTA.Thank you Ronald Reagan, Bush Sr & Bill Clinton.

Boehner, McConnell, Gingrich, Porter - all voted yes.

Newville, PA

#22016 May 8, 2012
Trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez Davie boy, a little sensitive this morning? Show me exactly where I "have a fit". Obama made the right call, I will give him credit for that. However, I did not like the fact that in his first commercial he was using "I" statements about getting Osama. Yes Obama made a correct, and difficult decision, but our brave SEALS were the ones who "got" OBL.
Every time Obama talks about it he gives credit to the seals. You dipsticks are overreacting.

TSM

United States

#22017 May 8, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
A seat change that allows access to a lifeboat would be better.
Okboston that lifeboat is the American People moving away from Obama’s Keynesian Economics Policies!! You heard that Theme “Lets Save The World” Obama out in Four has a great Ring to It!! Right?
TSM

United States

#22018 May 8, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. It was a Republican Senate with the power to say no and yet they ratified it. What is the problem with saying it was and remains bipartisan?
Okboston I agree NAFTA was bi-partisan!!

Hugo, MN

#22019 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time Obama talks about it he gives credit to the seals. You dipsticks are overreacting.
But US Senator John McCain, who lost to Obama in the 2008 presidential election and who remains one of the president's most dogged critics, said last week that the advertisement politicized an issue that should not become fodder for November's presidential campaign.

"Shame on Barack Obama for diminishing the memory of September 11th and the killing of Osama bin Laden by turning into it a cheap political attack ad," he said.

"He's doing a shameless end zone dance to help get himself reelected. No one disputes that the president deserves credit for ordering the raid, but to politicize it in this way is the height of hypocrisy."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-not-politicizi...

Official says White House 'planned to shield Obama if Bin Laden raid went wrong'
Washington, May 8(ANI): Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey has made a staggering revelation that the White House had planned to shield Obama by blaming Navy Admiral William McRaven if Osama Bin Laden raid had failed.

Mukasey said the former CIA director wrote a highly lawyered note that would have put the responsibility on Admiral McRaven had the mission failed.

At the time of the raid last May, Admiral McRaven was commander of the Joint Special Operations Command.

President Obama sat nervously in the Situation Room the night of the raid, flanked by Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and other high-ranking officials as they watched the events unfold.

According to Mukasey, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta drafted a note that would have put the blame on Admiral McRaven.

"You better believe if anything else had been encountered and the mission had failed, then the blame would have fell on McRaven. That's what this is about,' The Daily Mail quoted Mukasey, as saying during an interview.

"I think there is going to be more that come tumbling out about that escapade. But so far, that memo is enough," he added.(ANI)

http://news.yahoo.com/official-says-white-hou...
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#22020 May 8, 2012
The Republican rich elite special interests compensation that is eliminating the working middle class. Republican Party represents the rich special interests.

Hugo, MN

#22021 May 8, 2012
Former CIA head Jose Rodriquez agreed that President Obama is being "disingenuous" in taking credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden during an interview this morning.

"Yes, it's -- as I said -- a 10-year effort," Rodriquez said on Fox and Friends when asked if Obama was being "disingenuous" about his role in the raid. "Thousands of intelligence reports were disseminated from the detainees that eventually allowed us to get to the killing of bin Laden."

Rodriguez, who led the CIA under President Bush, also accused Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of falsely denying that she knew about the techniques used to interrogate those detainees (such as waterboarding).

"I personally was the person who went to the Congress in September of 2002 and briefed her on the interrogation of [a detainee] and the techniques that we had used, which included waterboarding," Rodriguez said when asked about Pelosi's denial that she knew about waterboarding.

http://newsok.com/ex-cia-chief-obama-disingen...

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#22022 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Look JW.
I said the following:
NAFTA was not ratified.
A law was written to enact the concepts of NAFTA.
This law passed with a majority of Republicans voting yes and the majority of Democrats voting no.
These are facts.
Look it up.
Here is a history that we all should read.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/N...

South Central Virginia

#22023 May 8, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Clinton favored it.
The Republicans put it on his desk. But hey, don't blame them. Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
What blame? Credit them.

Newville, PA

#22025 May 9, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
What blame? Credit them.
I agree with NAFTA.

I was referring to the Republicans who do not like NAFTA blaming Clinton & the Democrats

Newville, PA

#22026 May 9, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a history that we all should read.
http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/N...
Your article is wrong.

Unless the term "ratify" is used loosely.

For the Senate t ratify a treaty, it takes two thirds votes.

The vote to ratify fell short.

Instead a bill was written to enact the aspects of the treaty.

Officially speaking, NAFTA was not ratified.

South Central Virginia

#22027 May 9, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Your article is wrong.
Unless the term "ratify" is used loosely.
For the Senate t ratify a treaty, it takes two thirds votes.
The vote to ratify fell short.
Instead a bill was written to enact the aspects of the treaty.
Officially speaking, NAFTA was not ratified.
They used the term "ratify" loosely as the House does not ratify.
TSM

United States

#22028 May 9, 2012
Yesterday Liberals/Democrats went to the Polls to cast votes for their candidates who will run against Walker in June! Walker receives more votes than Falk/Barrett, Walker 249,735, Falk plus Barrett combined receives 202,500…Ouch!!
Trolls

Gainesville, FL

#22030 May 11, 2012
Funny, the small government group, wants a "bedroom activity amendment" for their church.... Dumb and dumber, then look at who comments....
TSM

United States

#22031 May 11, 2012
The Liberals have come up with a new definition to soften Obama’s Flip-Flops “He’s Evolving” Laughable!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wikileaks: dossier "bogus" 19 min tree hugging hippie 26
CNN = Fake News 2 hr Merry Moosmas 24
Deleted posts 2 hr Merry Moosmas 3
Moonman 8 hr Space ace 1
John Lewis is NOT a civil rights hero! He's a c... 8 hr Space ace 4
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) Fri Mutant-cucumber 692
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Thu Speaking For daOt... 35,850

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages