Can weekend voting solve tepid turnout?

Can weekend voting solve tepid turnout?

There are 12 comments on the Star Tribune story from Nov 13, 2013, titled Can weekend voting solve tepid turnout?. In it, Star Tribune reports that:

Minneapolitans love to brag about the intensity of their political engagement - and not without justification.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star Tribune.

PB in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 13, 2013
That's a good idea. Probably get a lot more working people to the polls and not let Obama's 47% decide all the elections.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#2 Nov 13, 2013
PB in Saint Paul wrote:
That's a good idea. Probably get a lot more working people to the polls and not let Obama's 47% decide all the elections.
I disagree with you PB.

Voting on a Tuesday vs a weekend is not the issue. At the present time, it is the law that you are allowed time off from your job to vote.

If you are too lazy to go vote, you get the government you deserve - that would be one that you have no voice in electing.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#3 Nov 13, 2013
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you PB.
Voting on a Tuesday vs a weekend is not the issue. At the present time, it is the law that you are allowed time off from your job to vote.
If you are too lazy to go vote, you get the government you deserve - that would be one that you have no voice in electing.
You are correct Irish. People need to exercise that right or they will most likely lose it. But that's not the only issue. As you know, I am a firm believer that the biggest issue is that people keep relying on democrats and/or republicans to be their saving grace. And that's just not going to happen. If you don't believe me, take a look at the past few administrations as compared to the state our nation is in today.

“A Frog's Worst Nightmare”

Since: Oct 13

West Monroe, La

#5 Nov 14, 2013
Ya know, they hold elections in November because it's the best time for pickin' out a turkey.
Votin' is like pickin' out your favorite mosquito from a swarm.
Use the bus

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Nov 14, 2013
All ya need to do is bus voters to the polls.

That is how Obama got elected.

Since: May 11

Burnsville, MN

#8 Nov 14, 2013
We should be wanting to expand voting in anyway we can. Americas goal should be to get more people involved in voting not less. What are you afraid of??
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Nov 14, 2013
Snake Dr wrote:
We should be wanting to expand voting in anyway we can. Americas goal should be to get more people involved in voting not less. What are you afraid of??
Even more dead people voting.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#11 Nov 14, 2013
Snake Dr wrote:
As far as we know, that is Americas goal. But you can't force people to vote. There are obviously a good number of people who are just too lazy, too apathetic, too ignorant or just plain too frustrated with the inefficiencies of the system to vote. Many people just don't believe it makes any difference any more. And in many ways, they are correct. Most (if not all) of our elected officials are more concerned with their pensions, getting re-elected, and dividing the populace than they are in doing what's right for the nation.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#12 Nov 14, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
Even more dead people voting.
Don't forget "Vote early, vote often." Richard J. Daley, Democrat Mayor of Chicago.
PB in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Nov 17, 2013
So what's wrong with absentee ballots for any registered voter who wants one, without having to come up with an (often phoney) excuse?
If you are not registered, you go down at your convenience, register, and you're set.
Why should people have to stand in line, sometimes for hours, when there are simple alternatives these days?
Heck, the feds could probably build a voting website, with 5 to 10 years lead time.
Rattler

Surprise, AZ

#17 Nov 18, 2013
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct Irish. People need to exercise that right or they will most likely lose it. But that's not the only issue. As you know, I am a firm believer that the biggest issue is that people keep relying on democrats and/or republicans to be their saving grace. And that's just not going to happen. If you don't believe me, take a look at the past few administrations as compared to the state our nation is in today.
What is your solution? Elect a random third party, or even a group of independents? And what happens one of those get power? Well, I think you will find that whomever is in power will feel the urgency to do SOMETHING. You have to do Something in order to preserve your power, or perhaps give it up while dqoing Nothing. The human race insists on it.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Nov 18, 2013
I thought inatant run-off voting was supposed to guarantee a huge voter turnout?

I also thought one of the main goals of instant run-off voting was that the winner will always have a majority of the vote? One of the big selling points of instant run-off was that there is always a majority winner instead of a plurality winner. How is it that Betsy Hodges can win with only 49% of the vote? I believe a recount is needed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wikileaks: dossier "bogus" 36 min tree hugging hippie 26
CNN = Fake News 2 hr Merry Moosmas 24
Deleted posts 2 hr Merry Moosmas 3
Moonman 8 hr Space ace 1
John Lewis is NOT a civil rights hero! He's a c... 9 hr Space ace 4
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) Fri Mutant-cucumber 692
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Thu Speaking For daOt... 35,850

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages