George's on Plato, aka Awada's on Plato, failed to attract a crowd

Full story: TwinCities.com

George's is no longer on Plato. When Shamez Babvani bought the 32-year-old Awada's on Plato in St.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Monday Jun 30
Dave

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

Not surprised about awada's closing down!!!
Phyllis S

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

We we ate George's St. Patricks Week-end, and first going in the place just smelled. They would not seat us in the dining area, as they states they were having a band that nite. I did not want to eat in the smelly bar. I can see why the placred closed
Curious Cat

Grantsburg, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

Why was awadas sold? that place was very popular
Not Surprised

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

The one and only time we tried to go to George's the doors were locked because no one got out of bed to open the doors. This was 12 noon on a Saturday. Can't run a business if you can't care enough to open the doors in a timely manner. That day a half dozen cars drove away.

Since: Jun 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

Judged:

Curious Cat wrote:
money laundering
Mnnative

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

Curious Cat wrote:
The original owner passed away, I think his son had it opened for awhile then sold it. I was on there during lent one year for the fish fry, it was horendous. Charged $9.95 all you can eat, it was minced fish pattys, a little plastic container of cole slaw and a monkey dish of instant mashed potatoes. I can not remember if it was still the kids that owned it then, but it was bad. The real Awadas was great food.
Oh Well

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2008

George's food and service was awful. Went there for brunch and never went back. Sorry for the business failure but not everyone is gifted with the ability to run a good restaurant much less a great one. Hope someone else can do better there...
Ken A

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

Awada's Sunday Brunch Special - buffet $9.95 And free if you bet $20 on whatever team the Vikings were playing!
Sickofit

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

Were the former owners related to Pat Anderson Awada? Not the most common name around these parts...
Madman

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

Judged:

I had lunch at Awada's once -- it was decent, and I said I'd go back. Since it is a little out-of-the-way from the East Side, I never got back.

I have the same curiosity about any relation to the infamous Pat Anderson Awada.

The restaurant did a better job with food than she did as State Auditor!
Fran T

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

Judged:

That's simply a bad area for any restaurant. Nothing worth crossing the bridge, from what is already a ghost of a town downtown St Paul...
natasha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Judged:

Dave wrote:
Not surprised about awada's closing down!!!
You right about every1 entitled to their own opinion, but personally you're an A HOLE for saying what you are, perhaps you should be a business owner in this economy and then judge!!
natasha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Judged:

Not Surprised wrote:
The one and only time we tried to go to George's the doors were locked because no one got out of bed to open the doors. This was 12 noon on a Saturday. Can't run a business if you can't care enough to open the doors in a timely manner. That day a half dozen cars drove away.
I think if it is a family owned restaurant we are all equally entitled to a day off, and saturdays were the slowest day for them, and that's why that had it closed, DON'T judge and state, we were too lazy to get OUT of bed, cause you have no idea what went on..!!! May be you along with all the ignorant fools that have written comments negative comments might I add about Awada's should perhaps own a bar then talk... BUT till then, Keep your opinions to yourselves!!
natasha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Judged:

Oh Well wrote:
George's food and service was awful. Went there for brunch and never went back. Sorry for the business failure but not everyone is gifted with the ability to run a good restaurant much less a great one. Hope someone else can do better there...
The only difference you probably saw when the previous owners were there was there were half naked women who served you, and basically "sat on your lap" when asked to...!! PLUS they never had Brunches there to begin with!(get your facts straight!)
bill

Forest Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Judged:

Hey Natasha,
if you got laid once in awhile maybe your negative attitude woould dissapear..........
BTW you are no virgin yourself
WhatEver

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Sickofit wrote:
Were the former owners related to Pat Anderson Awada? Not the most common name around these parts...
Yes, that is the same Pat Anderson. Pawlenty appointd her State Auditor when he first became governor. They were on the City of Eagan's council together.
Natasha

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

How would you know Bill? I thought you were gay??
and this is why America still suffers, for a hole like you that exist!:)
bill wrote:
Hey Natasha,
if you got laid once in awhile maybe your negative attitude woould dissapear..........
BTW you are no virgin yourself
informed

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

WhatEver wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, that is the same Pat Anderson. Pawlenty appointd her State Auditor when he first became governor. They were on the City of Eagan's council together.
Pawlenty was from So St Paul, not Eagan. Also you have to get elected to State Auditor not appointed.
craig

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

I went to Awadas for 15 yrs best food around. It went down hill after the owners died. I moved to TN and the next time I got back it had changed. Lots of great memories. Sorry to see them gone.
Karmah

Harmony, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Well, that's too bad. A date had taken me to Awada's 35 years ago and even after all these years, I will never forget that, that was the best steak I have ever had. It sad that it didn't make it and has closed.:(
I never tried George's, so I can't comment on that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Nice Ride loans out 140 bikes in low-income nei... 11 min Bagman 9
600,000 Somalis in Minnesota 17 min Bagman 5
Global cooling 'undeniable,' scientists say 19 min Bagman 64
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr litesong 32,132
US troops told not to eat, drink in front of Mu... 4 hr cantmakeitup 8
Obama: Muslims Built 'The Very Fabric of Our Na... 5 hr Mexican 5
Why our roads SUCK! 5 hr cowboy chris 4
•••
•••