Eric Cantor will propose Federal Law that Ends Overtime Pay

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 27, 2013
Eric Cantor will propose Federal Law that Ends Overtime Pay for hourly workers

“In Eric Cantor's February 2013 speech, he said he wanted to propose Federal Law that would end overtime pay for hourly workers. Currently, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA), signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, mandates that certain workers get paid "time + 1/2" for overtime work. Eric Cantor wants to eliminate that law. Because -- ya know -- workers not getting paid for overtime hours worked out so good for workers before FDR enacted that Law.

Eric Cantor's "end of overtime pay for workers" that he talked about in his February speech was overshadowed, in part, by the public whining Cantor did bitching that 'Obama gave his speech at the same time as me ... wah, wah, wah.'

In this week's New Yorker Magazine, Ryan Lizza wrote an excellent article titled: "Can Eric Cantor, the Republican Majority Leader, redeem his party and himself?" in which Lizza reminded readers that Eric Cantor wants to end the Federal law that mandates certain workers get paid overtime for the extra hours they labor.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Feb 27, 2013
How many more times with different titles are you going to post the same lies under different monikers, Dumbo? Here is the excerpt from Cantor's speech:

Yet today, the federal government has a patchwork of over 47 different overlapping programs that are not dynamic or innovative enough to meet the needs of employers or potential employees. We can fix this, and we should be able to muster bipartisan support to do so.

If you’re a working parent, you know there’s hardly ever enough time at home to be with the kids. Too many parents have to weigh whether they can afford to miss work even for half a day to see their child off on the first day of school or attend a parent-teacher conference.

Federal laws dating back to the 1930s make it harder for parents who hold hourly jobs to balance the demands of work and home. An hourly employee cannot convert previous overtime into future comp-time or flex-time. In 1985, Congress passed a law that gave state and municipal employees this flexibility, but today still denies that same privilege to the entire private sector. That’s not right.

There’s a police officer at home in my district, her name is Vicki. She is working a tough job, with long hours, while raising her children. Her life is made a little easier because as a local government employee, she is permitted to work some extra hours and save it up for a sick day or a school event.

Imagine if we simply chose to give all employees and employers this option. A working mom could work overtime this month and use it as time off next month without having to worry about whether she’ll be able to take home enough money to pay the rent. This is the kind of common sense legislation that should be non-controversial and moves us in the right direction to help make life work for families.

Progressives listen to this crap without actually checking out the sources? You can't get much dumber than reading that Cantor wants to not pay overtime from his speech. Here is the link to his speech in entirety, a rather nice read.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#3 Feb 27, 2013
Simply outlaw overtime hours.

Poof, jobs/lower taxes !!! Come on Eric, that gets the workers home !!!

Funny, your version just leave workers broke, tired, and irregular working hours....
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 27, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Simply outlaw overtime hours.
Poof, jobs/lower taxes !!! Come on Eric, that gets the workers home !!!
Funny, your version just leave workers broke, tired, and irregular working hours....
Feel free to show in Cantor's speech where what you claim is proposed. Only in the Think Progress attack piece.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#5 Feb 27, 2013
Feel free to pretend you're not a POS liar, but NOT to me.

non-starter wrote: I found it, you just won't publish that you got it off Yahoo or Wiki answers ....

THEN the lies began, LMAOROTFU~!

non-starter wrote: No, I guessed, because you weren't forthcoming with your source

OR MY NEW FAVORITE-

non-starter wrote: I found similar postings on Yahoo answers and Wiki answers
You posted to the urban dictionary to support your position...It's called tampering and you're clearly a duplicitous/dishonest POS... Have a nice lie... Oh sorry, I surely meant life.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Feel free to pretend you're not a POS liar, but NOT to me.
non-starter wrote: I found it, you just won't publish that you got it off Yahoo or Wiki answers ....
THEN the lies began, LMAOROTFU~!
non-starter wrote: No, I guessed, because you weren't forthcoming with your source
OR MY NEW FAVORITE-
non-starter wrote: I found similar postings on Yahoo answers and Wiki answers
You posted to the urban dictionary to support your position...It's called tampering and you're clearly a duplicitous/dishonest POS... Have a nice lie... Oh sorry, I surely meant life.
Once again, you lose the argument, so you resort to your made up slights and lies. Good one, slewchebag. You want to provide factual proof that Cantor said he would get rid of overtime? Didn't think you could, liar.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#7 Feb 28, 2013

Proving you wrong would be a full time job, when you get some money, we can continue...

non-starter wrote: I found it, you just won't publish that you got it off Yahoo or Wiki answers ....

THEN the lies began, LMAOROTFU~!

non-starter wrote: No, I guessed, because you weren't forthcoming with your source

OR MY NEW FAVORITE-

non-starter wrote: I found similar postings on Yahoo answers and Wiki answers
You posted to the urban dictionary to support your position...It's called tampering and you're clearly a duplicitous/dishonest POS... Have a nice lie... Oh sorry, I surely meant life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama state of the b#llsh!t 3 hr FOVR 48
Is a Black Woman's Vagina Deeper than a White W... 3 hr FOVR 4
What Time is the Jap Getting BeHeaded? 5 hr Barry Suzuki 7
Gas Tax 6 hr FOVR 14
Another Black Attorney General 7 hr FOVR 8
Obama is Clearly a Muslim 7 hr FOVR 166
Leaving White Trash Bay 8 hr Beheaded Jap 18
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

ESPN 1:22PM
Matthews fined $22K for block on QB Wilson
Yahoo! Sports 1:24 PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 6:54 PM
Why Vikings Must Draft CB Quinten Rollins
Bleacher Report 5:47 AM
Dez Must Top Vikings' FA Wish List
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out