Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Nov 30, 2012
Ralph Nader.
Consumer advocate, lawyer and author

As the end of the year approaches, so does the biggest consumer rush of the year, as millions flock to the stores and online vendors for the latest TVs, gadgets, trendy toys, clothes and more. The Friday after Thanksgiving, now popularly known as "Black Friday" has, in recent years, been hyped beyond the bounds of decency by marketers hoping to motivate thousands of people across the country to line up outside of stores in the wee hours of the morning in hope of securing discounts on big ticket items. One could even make the case that Thanksgiving is now overshadowed by the next-day shopping extravaganza -- in some communities, stores even opened on Thursday night, so intrepid shoppers could leave their holiday festivities and get right to it. And don't forget about "Cyber Monday" just days later, for those inclined to get their deals online.

The holidays, once considered a sacred time for family and celebration, have been hijacked by big companies sending out a message to the American people, playing on an endless loop from as early as November 1st all the way to the New Year: "Buy, buy, buy!" Think of all of those products that millions of Americans are purchasing as gifts for their friends and family. Where were they manufactured? Who profits from their sale? What happens to them when they break or become obsolete?

Winsted, Connecticut, where I grew up, once had about a hundred factories and fabricators -- manufacturing such things as appliances, clocks, electrical equipment, clothing and more. They were the town's lifeblood -- the gears that spurred the local economy and provided jobs and goods for the town's 10,000 residents. Almost all the factories are gone now. Someone looking for a well-paying job likely has to commute an hour to Hartford, the nearest major city.

The local economy, once the bread and butter of the United States, has been traded away in favor of the national economy -- namely, an economy driven by unpatriotic multinational corporations. The idea of a thriving Main Street has largely became a quaint relic of the past -- drive along any major roadway in the United States today and you'll see the big, bright signs of Walmart, Target, and Best Buy, one right after another. These stores and online retailers such as Amazon are the thriving businesses of today. But how does their success help most of the country?

Read more at
Bob Schmahl

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Dec 2, 2012
The Republicans only want the rich to get richer.
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Dec 2, 2012
Ralph Nader: War Criminal Obama Worse Than Bush

Hes gone beyond George W. Bush in drones, for example. He thinks the world is his plate, that national sovereignties mean nothing, drones can go anywhere.
Bob Schmahl

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 2, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Ralph Nader: War Criminal Obama Worse Than Bush
Hes gone beyond George W. Bush in drones, for example. He thinks the world is his plate, that national sovereignties mean nothing, drones can go anywhere.
Bob, they need to adjust the doses on your drugs again.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#5 Dec 2, 2012
Isn't Ralph wrong a LOT ??? Try someone NOT on the edge of irrelevance/senility.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#6 Dec 2, 2012
As for the Republican candidate, Nader said Romney is not himself any more.

Hes not the old Romney, governor of Massachusetts. Hes had a character and personality makeover, Nader said.Hes just bought into the extreme right wing of the Republican Party, represented by Paul Ryan, and I dont think hes going to be able to shake that. Hes basically a corporation running for president masquerading as a human being.

And if the Republican won, Nader said this could be spell trouble for America.

I think the country is really in trouble, Nader said, drawing on Romney's career at Bain Capital.How can he become president of the United States if he doesnt reveal his tax returns? It is such a simple thing. I think it is a winning issue.
Bob Schmahl

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Dec 3, 2012
I think the country is really in trouble, Nader said, drawing on Romney's career at Bain Capital.How can he become president of the United States if he doesnt reveal his tax returns? It is such a simple thing. I think it is a winning issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 5 min Reporter 26,251
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 3 hr harmonious 32,618
Utah teacher shoots herself in the leg at eleme... 3 hr NEVER used AC thi... 9
Matt cassel horrendous performance 4 hr Space ace 3
Republicans Simply Dont Want Minorities To Vote 7 hr Sangelia 13
Peterson whopping his kid 7 hr Ron 3
Adrian Peterson child abuse 11 hr Adrian 16
•••
•••
•••