On Climate, Business as Usual

On Climate, Business as Usual

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Apr 12

St. Paul, MN

#1 Apr 18, 2014
The world’s predicament on climate change reminds me of an old saying:“The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.”

Despite mounting evidence that global warming is an urgent crisis, emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases grew faster between 2000 and 2010 than over the previous three decades, according to an authoritative new report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Some governments have instituted policies to try to hold down emissions of carbon dioxide—by far the biggest contributor to climate change—but these measures do not go nearly far enough. We’re doing a Michael Jackson moonwalk, appearing to move ahead while actually sliding backward—toward what scientists fear is an abyss.

Between 1970 and 2000, according to the new report, worldwide greenhouse gas emissions rose at an average rate of 1.3 percent a year. But between 2000 and 2010—a period when no one could claim ignorance of the problem—emissions rose at 2.2 percent annually.

Advertisement
Given the fossil fuels we have already burned—the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been increased by an incredible 40 percent since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution—some further warming is inevitable. Most climate scientists believe humankind can avoid calamity if we limit the temperature rise to about 4 degrees by 2100. But at present, according to the new report, we are on track for an increase of up to 8 degrees.

Wave bye-bye to low-lying island nations and coastal cities. Say so long to what we think of as “normal” weather patterns and growing seasons. Get ready to welcome tropical pathogens as they migrate into formerly temperate zones.

“There is a clear message from science,” said Ottmar Edenhofer, a German climatologist who is co-chair of the working group that produced the new report.“To avoid dangerous interference with the climate system, we need to move away from business as usual.”

And there you have the problem.

As Edenhofer noted in a statement released with the report, climate change is a problem affecting the “global commons.” But for leaders around the world,“business as usual” means acting in national self-interest.

Someday, perhaps, the effects of climate change will be so overwhelming that governments see the need for shared sacrifice. It’s time to acknowledge, however, that we’re not there yet.
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 18, 2014

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#3 Apr 19, 2014
LIbEralS wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ opinions/eugene-robinson-on-cl imate-business-as-usual/2014/0 4/17/5bc9a336-c669-11e3-8b9a-8 e0977a24aeb_story.html
Nice of you to do that for griddy.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 20, 2014
griddy wrote:
The world’s predicament on climate change reminds me of an old saying:“The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.”
Despite mounting evidence that global warming is an urgent crisis, emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases grew faster between 2000 and 2010 than over the previous three decades, according to an authoritative new report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Some governments have instituted policies to try to hold down emissions of carbon dioxide—by far the biggest contributor to climate change—but these measures do not go nearly far enough. We’re doing a Michael Jackson moonwalk, appearing to move ahead while actually sliding backward—toward what scientists fear is an abyss.
Between 1970 and 2000, according to the new report, worldwide greenhouse gas emissions rose at an average rate of 1.3 percent a year. But between 2000 and 2010—a period when no one could claim ignorance of the problem—emissions rose at 2.2 percent annually.
Advertisement
Given the fossil fuels we have already burned—the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been increased by an incredible 40 percent since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution—some further warming is inevitable. Most climate scientists believe humankind can avoid calamity if we limit the temperature rise to about 4 degrees by 2100. But at present, according to the new report, we are on track for an increase of up to 8 degrees.
Wave bye-bye to low-lying island nations and coastal cities. Say so long to what we think of as “normal” weather patterns and growing seasons. Get ready to welcome tropical pathogens as they migrate into formerly temperate zones.
“There is a clear message from science,” said Ottmar Edenhofer, a German climatologist who is co-chair of the working group that produced the new report.“To avoid dangerous interference with the climate system, we need to move away from business as usual.”
And there you have the problem.
As Edenhofer noted in a statement released with the report, climate change is a problem affecting the “global commons.” But for leaders around the world,“business as usual” means acting in national self-interest.
Someday, perhaps, the effects of climate change will be so overwhelming that governments see the need for shared sacrifice. It’s time to acknowledge, however, that we’re not there yet.
Stay Sharp and it's nice to know that you don't acknowledge Fox news and them other right wing rags as a valid news source.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liberals are trying to destroy america 1 hr LIbEralS 53
Trump Derangement Syndrome TDS 1 hr LIbEralS 34
Somali brutaliy beats Woman 2 hr guest 88
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 37,128
Bye bye Betsy...Bye bye Betsy 21 hr cowboy chris 12
News Mohamed Noor, Somali American cop who allegedly... 23 hr Rattlesnake Pete 70
I love waking up to a Trump presidency Sun Defeat Elizabeth ... 20

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages