Twins send Luke Hughes and Jim Hoey t...

Twins send Luke Hughes and Jim Hoey to Rochester, have one more cut to make

There are 32 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 27, 2011, titled Twins send Luke Hughes and Jim Hoey to Rochester, have one more cut to make. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

And then there was one. The Twins trimmed down to 26 players on its major league roster, optioning infielder Luke Hughes and right-hander Jim Hoey to Class AAA Rochester this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
brachiosaurus

Milton, MA

#1 Mar 27, 2011
It's all settled. We know the Twins 25-man roster now. Perkins is in. There's little chance that Diamond will be on the 25-man roster. Dusty Hughes makes the roster. A lot of people will be disappointed to see Luke Hughes go to AAA. Chase Lambin also looked good, with a little bit of power and a desire to break out of the minor leagues. Hughes probably didn't make the team because he struck out a lot and his OBP wasn't so hot. Still, it would have been nice to have some right-handed power off the bench. Butera, Repko, and Tolbert make for a very, very light-hitting bench. Only Thome gives the Twins a real pinch-hitting threat. Kubel will start at DH.
NavyDoc

Hudson, WI

#2 Mar 27, 2011
I am very disappointed to see Hughes get demoted. I can understand the Twins concerns over his high number of strikeouts, but that is a caviat for almost every power hitter in the major leagues!(Ryan Howard anyone?) But honestly, is there anything we don't already know about Tolbert? He is very consistent defensively, and unfortunately, very consistent offensively.(Not to mention he has already hit his annual homerun during spring training.) I just feel there is a LOT more upside to having Hughes batting in the lower half of our lineup .... Most importantly, that it is going to give whoever bats before him more opportunities at some good pitches, because they would rather not give up a walk and put someone on base ahead of Luke. As far as Hoey, it's only a matter of time. We have been lacking a reliever who can overpower batters. Once he can fine-tune his control issues, he should be called up immediately.
NavyDoc

Hudson, WI

#3 Mar 27, 2011
Sorry for the double post .... Stupid iPhone!!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 27, 2011
"When your hurt, it's tough to throw strikes as consistently, and I feel like I can throw strikes whenever I want" should read "when you're hurt..."
Top Gunn

Owatonna, MN

#5 Mar 27, 2011
Good Grief!!! Hughes sent down and "Blood & Guts" Tolbert makes the team...UUGGHHHH!

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#6 Mar 27, 2011
What kind of photo's must Tolbert have of Gardy to keep him on the squad?

Oh well Twins have a way of making the best of it. Maybe Tolbert will again crap the bed and Hughes will be promoted??

Spring training is WAAAAAY too long. Let's play ball!

“Get A Job!!”

Since: Mar 11

Eden Prairie

#7 Mar 27, 2011
If I have a difficult time falling asleep tonight I will read this roster and it will put me out cold. Another year of boring base hits and no chance of winning the division this year. And if by some chance they do, one and done. Save your money do something better with your time.
Cunning Stunts

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 27, 2011
Grandmaster G wrote:
He's this years' Nick Punto!!!

“Free and Fair Elections”

Since: Jan 09

Zumbrota, MN

#9 Mar 27, 2011
Puh-leese! Luke Hughes is something like 2 for his last 25. His minor league numbers are OK, not outstanding. Does anybody remember who he hit his homers against? I know he connected off Hamels, who was getting rocked, but I don't think he did much slugging against big league pitchers and certainly not when they were throwning more than fastballs. Tolbert is a prototypical three-position infielder. He's had some moments as a hitter, but he's not a power hitter or a potential star. He'll be fine in a utility role.
Bert

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Mar 27, 2011
NotHappy2PayMore wrote:
If I have a difficult time falling asleep tonight I will read this roster and it will put me out cold. Another year of boring base hits and no chance of winning the division this year. And if by some chance they do, one and done. Save your money do something better with your time.
Stick to your Biggest Loser and Bachelor shows. I'm sure that's right up your alley.
Big poof pants

United States

#11 Mar 27, 2011
sometimes I like to wash my car. I know. It's easier to have someone else do it....faster and done better often. But you know how expensive that can be. Of course, if you can find a good deal and an automatic car wash it does a fairly decent job without a huge cost. Maybe just a few dollars each time. So my recommendation to all of you is to wash your cars when you can. Just get out there and do it and then you can get back inside in front of the TV and live life!

God Bless!
Lou Zer

Lakeville, MN

#12 Mar 27, 2011
Skirt-wearing Gardy makes the expected decisions based on not hurting feelings. So you end up with the wrong players and another year of unfulfilled expectations. Gardy was giddy as a school girl this morning when he learned that Carlos Silva was available. Only Bert gave up longer homers. Good news that a new season of Deadliest Catch begins soon.

“Get A Job!!”

Since: Mar 11

Eden Prairie

#13 Mar 27, 2011
Bert wrote:
<quoted text>
Stick to your Biggest Loser and Bachelor shows. I'm sure that's right up your alley.
Sorry Bert I don't own a TV. I have a life and it doesn't involve watching TV. Grow up its a game. Rubes
TC Florida

Cocoa Beach, FL

#14 Mar 27, 2011
The bull pen was the biggest question of Spring training and now we know. There are strengths (Capps, having both a left and right handed long relief) question marks (new untested guys and Nathan's health) but a lot of potential.

I think that guys at AAA have a lot to play for - because there are options for Gardy in case of injury or ineffectiveness.
brachiosaurus

Attleboro, MA

#15 Mar 27, 2011
TC Florida wrote:
The bull pen was the biggest question of Spring training and now we know. There are strengths (Capps, having both a left and right handed long relief) question marks (new untested guys and Nathan's health) but a lot of potential.
I think that guys at AAA have a lot to play for - because there are options for Gardy in case of injury or ineffectiveness.
Good points! Gutierrez, Waldrop, and maybe Slama could make for a solid relief corps some day. Slama needs his chance now. He's getting no younger. It was unfortunate about his injury. Maybe the Twins will use him in one of the Atlanta exhibition games or against the Pirates tomorrow. Slama must have something. His minor league numbers have been consistently superior.

It's hard to predict how well the Twins' bullpen will perform. It was "a relief" to hear Gardenhire suggest that he was willing to make chances depending on how pitchers looked in regular season games.
brachiosaurus

Attleboro, MA

#16 Mar 27, 2011
Correction: "make changes" not "make chances." Apologies.
Edge

Duluth, MN

#17 Mar 27, 2011
Tolbert and Butera are Gardy's boys and will stay on the team no matter what. The Punto syndrome is alive and well in Twins land.
ladykas

Watertown, SD

#18 Mar 27, 2011
I appreciate the thoughtful comments, (for the most part) Much better than the strib.
Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Mar 27, 2011
Grandmaster G wrote:
Oh well Twins have a way of making the best of it. Maybe Tolbert will again crap the bed and Hughes will be promoted??
Spring training is WAAAAAY too long. Let's play ball!
The same photos "nearly hitless nick" had on Gardy. Ol' Ronnie loves the guys that have mediocre talent but play hard for him, which pretty much is the type of ballplayer he was. Look at how long it took him to promote Valencia, a gifted, natural talent, to being a full time guy. The biggest drawback of Gardenhire as a manager is that he's so damned set in that mentality of letting the less talented guys have more at bats and inield/outfield duty than the talented players, like Hughes, who could really make a difference in wins and losses. The only reason Valencia even got to play more at all last year was because Little Nicky suffered a couple of injuries that kept him out of the lineup for extended stretches; he had to play Danny V, and we all saw what happened.
Goldy1

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Mar 27, 2011
Edge wrote:
Tolbert and Butera are Gardy's boys and will stay on the team no matter what. The Punto syndrome is alive and well in Twins land.
Agreed!'Nuff said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 5 min Get Real 101
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Talkin About Science 37,426
Who hates Trump more DavyCrockett or Charlie Ga... 6 hr Davycrockett 2
Rocket man the New Democrat leader 21 hr Cat Fan 9
Confirmed: trump was wiretapped Thu Hillary Blames ot... 4
Maggies Move to Minnesota Thu Irish 6
Who's Your Favorite Actress? Thu Irish 3

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages