Former Park (Cottage Grove) hockey coach accused of having sex ...

A local high school hockey coach gave two female players alcohol and had sex with them while his friend did the same, according to charges filed Wednesday in Washington County. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Linda

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 15, 2009
Hmmm. A former hockey coach seems a little different than a teacher. I also wonder why this is coming up now. I think the girls must be around 19 now.
grama who cares

Cottage Grove, MN

#2 May 15, 2009
Freaks!! Put all these nuts on a island and let them have their sick fun with each other. Done!!

“SAY WHAT ???????????????”

Since: Mar 09

BULLRUSH

#3 May 15, 2009
describes the relationship as a father figure ?,I don't know to many good father/dads that would have sex with a teenager let alonesupply alcohol..........ya mutt
Johnny Law

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 15, 2009
I went to school with Dar and it's hard to believe..I wish they would have thoroughly investigated this matter before printing it..Sounds "fishy" to me that the allegations are coming out now, it could ruin his career.

“WHAT WERE YA THINKIN ?”

Since: Mar 09

CUCKOO'S NEST

#5 May 15, 2009
I think he already ruined it and admitted to it.
beebee

Rochester, MN

#6 May 15, 2009
While there is certainly nothing okay with having sex with a minor, I just wonder why there is/was no consequences for the girls- at 16 they were more than capable of making appropriate decisions, this certainly doesn't sound like a forced activity. I also wonder why this is coming out now?
batman

United States

#7 May 15, 2009
He lived the American dream and now must pay the price. Sad really. Cruel world.
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 15, 2009
beebee wrote:
While there is certainly nothing okay with having sex with a minor, I just wonder why there is/was no consequences for the girls- at 16 they were more than capable of making appropriate decisions, this certainly doesn't sound like a forced activity. I also wonder why this is coming out now?
Yeah, the whole double-teaming head thing does call it into question. But he served alcohol to 16 year old, at that age undeniably inexperienced, girls, and then had consensual sex with them. By legal definition consensual sex cannot happen at that age. And this is a figure who should be playing a drastically different role in their young lives. So it seems he's in trouble.
beebee

Eden Prairie, MN

#9 May 15, 2009
beebee-Having sexual relations with a 16 year old is statutory rape, whether the girls were "more than capable of making appropriate decisions" as you say. Obviously, they weren't because of what happened here. Parents, teachers, coaches of youth are there to raise children to be well-rounded adults, not to take advantage of them. Any violation of that trust should be punished with some prison time for this sicko predator. You seriously need to get some help "beebee" if you think this is OK for this adult male to do to juvenile female. This Darwitz guy should know better.
MplsReader

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 15, 2009
Actually, the legal age of consent is 16 in MN. The issues are 1)position of authority in combination with consensual sex with a 16 year old and, 2) serving alcohol to minors. This doesn't make it right, but my guess is that the crux of the case will be around whether the fact that he had resigned 3 months prior removes the "position of authority". Then its just down to serving minors. I don't think that makes it justifiable in any way, I just think that is where this will end up.
Hastings

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 15, 2009
Mrs. R- you don't have any idea what your talking about! I was a 1979 graduate of Park-the symbol
of the "Park High Indian" was very respected, and
and as a women, I never felt the boy's or men in our school treated women disrespectfully.
My parents and my daughters also went to this school, and the "The Park Indian" was always, respected, valued and is missed to this day.
This has nothing to do with a coach who made a big mistake.
Me O My

Minneapolis, MN

#13 May 15, 2009
ouch-
Mrs R

United States

#15 May 15, 2009
Hastings wrote:
Mrs. R- you don't have any idea what your talking about! I was a 1979 graduate of Park-the symbol
of the "Park High Indian" was very respected, and
and as a women, I never felt the boy's or men in our school treated women disrespectfully.
My parents and my daughters also went to this school, and the "The Park Indian" was always, respected, valued and is missed to this day.
This has nothing to do with a coach who made a big mistake.
Can you really trust what a white person from the suburbs has to say? The Park Indian was a disgrace to women, gays and lesbians, and people of color. How you can dare to say that this was even remotely close to a "normal" mascot is mind-boggling. How would you like it if I started a sports team and called it the Hastings Northern Europeans or the St. Paul Judeo Christian Saints?........When the shoe is on the other foot you can see how it's not equal.
Mrs R

United States

#16 May 15, 2009
Me O My wrote:
ouch-
LOL, good point. Sometimes when these white suburban people speak you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Obviously you have to be embarrassed for them because they are so ignorant they have no clue how racist and homophobic they really are.
MNnative64

Gilbert, AZ

#17 May 15, 2009
MplsReader wrote:
Actually, the legal age of consent is 16 in MN. The issues are 1)position of authority in combination with consensual sex with a 16 year old and, 2) serving alcohol to minors. This doesn't make it right, but my guess is that the crux of the case will be around whether the fact that he had resigned 3 months prior removes the "position of authority". Then its just down to serving minors. I don't think that makes it justifiable in any way, I just think that is where this will end up.
You're absolutely right about the age of consent and the problem lying in his position of authority.

The fact that he wasn't currently their coach may not help him. They still looked at him as 'coach', and even he admitted a role of 'big brother/father figure'.

I'm obviously not the only one wondering why it took almost 2 years for a complaint to be filed, though.

“We're All In This Together.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#18 May 15, 2009
This guy is a pig. And so is his friend.
beebee

Rochester, MN

#19 May 15, 2009
beebee wrote:
beebee-Having sexual relations with a 16 year old is statutory rape, whether the girls were "more than capable of making appropriate decisions" as you say. Obviously, they weren't because of what happened here. Parents, teachers, coaches of youth are there to raise children to be well-rounded adults, not to take advantage of them. Any violation of that trust should be punished with some prison time for this sicko predator. You seriously need to get some help "beebee" if you think this is OK for this adult male to do to juvenile female. This Darwitz guy should know better.
Actually, jacka**, consensual age is 16. Educate yourself before you ignorantly spout off.
Jack Gramm

Minneapolis, MN

#20 May 15, 2009
Thats it....

moving to Woodbury
Chebama

Minneapolis, MN

#21 May 15, 2009
Mrs R wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, good point. Sometimes when these white suburban people speak you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Obviously you have to be embarrassed for them because they are so ignorant they have no clue how racist and homophobic they really are.
MRS. R is jealous.
No Excuse

Minneapolis, MN

#22 May 15, 2009
It's not like these allegations are being made ten years later. My guess is that someone (a boyfriend, friend, family member) just learned of the events and persuaded the girls to go forward now -- especially since Darwitz is still in a position to gain access to teenage girls. Sure, these girls might not be angels, but there's NO EXCUSE for what these creeps allegedly did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 12 min Republicans for G... 26,286
Sick religion 12 min Aalee 5
Your Next President 41 min goose 4
Suddenly, Bridgewater face of Vikings' franchise 1 hr Joey Zaza 2
Cassel stinks bridgewater rocks 2 hr ObamaWetHimself 9
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr Earthling-1 32,679
moving sale 2 hr eddy11 1
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••