KSTP-TV changes affect anchors Mason and Brucato

Full story: TwinCities.com

There are some changes coming to KSTP-TV, Channel 5. Evening news weeknight anchor John Mason has been reassigned to a managing editor position starting mid-June. Mason says he's excited about his new job behind the camera.
Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
AV Guy

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Here is a chance for Hubbard broadcasting to get it right and hire Jeanette Trompeter as a new female anchor. That way, Leah McLean could go back to what she did well; field reporter. She is terribly stiff as an anchor. Even after all of this time, she still looks out of place and uncomfortable at the anchor desk. Jeanette Trompeter was a compassionate anchor and well liked during her stint at channel 4. Lets get her on the good old #5 and people will start watching again!
TtB

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

AV Guy wrote:
Here is a chance for Hubbard broadcasting to get it right and hire Jeanette Trompeter as a new female anchor. That way, Leah McLean could go back to what she did well; field reporter. She is terribly stiff as an anchor. Even after all of this time, she still looks out of place and uncomfortable at the anchor desk. Jeanette Trompeter was a compassionate anchor and well liked during her stint at channel 4. Lets get her on the good old #5 and people will start watching again!
Jessica Miles should take Leah's place.

Since: Dec 08

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

KSTP has a solid newsroom but, on air it has lacked appeal. The sets, look, and feel all need to be looked at too. If the Hubbard's could get this right, they might have a real chance against KARE and WCCO. Heck, ABC is in second place in prime time and that's a better lead in then KARE will have with Jay Leno. WCCO is so lost and only doing well in my opinion due to the strong CBS line-up in prime time. WCCO is a real mess trying to figure out if it want's to do news or entertainment.

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

AV Guy wrote:
My guess she has a non-compete contract in place that would not allow her to pop up for at least a year.'CCO must have had to buy her contract out too. I liked her but, she stumbled through more copy then any anchor I have seen here in years.

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

I think Cyndy Brucato is the best anchor in the twin cities.
Her former co-anchor Stan Turner has a fun interesting
Radio progam out of Stillwater on Saturdays.
The Hubbards should hire Jeanette Trompeter for their womans fM radio staion...I enjoyed her the one day WCCO AM let her do the afternoon drive show a few days after they fired her from TV. I think she would be great on radio. I usually don't listen to wcco on the drive home but when I heard her on CCO I kept the station on all the way home.
Wcco would be wise to keep her but I doubt they will.
Mr Secant

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

vitamin wrote:
I think Cyndy Brucato is the best anchor in the twin cities.
Her former co-anchor Stan Turner has a fun interesting
Radio progam out of Stillwater on Saturdays.
The Hubbards should hire Jeanette Trompeter for their womans fM radio staion...I enjoyed her the one day WCCO AM let her do the afternoon drive show a few days after they fired her from TV. I think she would be great on radio. I usually don't listen to wcco on the drive home but when I heard her on CCO I kept the station on all the way home.
Wcco would be wise to keep her but I doubt they will.
I think Cindy is great too! I love her new hair style and congratulations to her hair dressier for putting the finishing touch to the twin cities greatest anchor!
Bill Lunn

Mankato, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Lunn's previous position was as a midday news anchor--not the top perch. Let's hope he's better than Phil Aldridge, the KSTP sports anchor who doesn't seem to be the right fit for this market. Removing Mason makes sense, but paring down Brucato's on-air time does not. Her anchor/reporter experience trumps that of Leah McLean and should be utilized better.

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Bill Lunn wrote:
Lunn's previous position was as a midday news anchor--not the top perch. Let's hope he's better than Phil Aldridge, the KSTP sports anchor who doesn't seem to be the right fit for this market. Removing Mason makes sense, but paring down Brucato's on-air time does not. Her anchor/reporter experience trumps that of Leah McLean and should be utilized better.
Over the past few years, I have not been able to understand who made these decisions on anchors, sports people, etc. John Mason was ok but, his lisp drove me nuts. The sports guy is really bad. But, when it comes to weather people KS seems to make the right choices!! WCCO has the worst weather team I have seen in years!!
TtB

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Mr Secant wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Cindy is great too! I love her new hair style and congratulations to her hair dressier for putting the finishing touch to the twin cities greatest anchor!
Cyndy and John were the best local team during the 35W bridge collapse by far. I think Cyndy did a much better job than Leah would have. However, Leah's 29-30 years old, good looking, and they can build around her for the future.

Put Leah and Jessica Miles together! Every guy in town would be watching 5Eyewitness News!!
TtB

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Oh yeah, Phil's terrible. Put Anne on with Leah and Jessica. Then put Chikage on for weather...You'd have Leah McLean, Jessica Miles, Anne Hutchinson with sports and Chikage Windler with weather....

Women and men would both love it!!
Natasha Badanaff

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

tjmmc wrote:
<quoted text>
Over the past few years, I have not been able to understand who made these decisions on anchors, sports people, etc. John Mason was ok but, his lisp drove me nuts. The sports guy is really bad. But, when it comes to weather people KS seems to make the right choices!! WCCO has the worst weather team I have seen in years!!
I still miss Bud Craling
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Looks like they are finally easing Brucato toward the door. I was disappointed they hired the arrogant old hag back in the first palce.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh, K-S-T-P, by the dawn's early light...who KARE's about local TV snews...it's dead......and 'CCOs demos are about to take an even bigger hit since all of the oldsters' TVs will go to white fuzz on June 12 anyways...hey, maybe that will HELP Washburn Crosby COmpany as HUTs and demos go inverse of eachother... Pfffff....back to the internet, where REAL nooz lives... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz Disgruntled former KSTP'er...in line with like 3000 other "former KSTP'ers".
Magers

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

Enjoy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63596201 @N00/8789943
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

i like leah mclean and cyndy brucato and phil aldridge.
chikage windler is a babe.
SUBURBAN WHITE BOY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

What do this numb skulls have against Cyndy? They took her off the Prime Time Anchor desk years ago, only to have viewership drop like a rock!. Then they put her back. Now she goes to less than prime time. These 'Talking heads" in management, just don't get it that the older folks, who are the fastest growing segment of our population,, and who watch the TV news religeously, love her. Bring sanity back to management, Make Cyndy general manager and prime time news anchor
Hometown Girl

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

As a "younger" viewer, Cindy Brucato is terrifying to look at (I hear it is worse in person). Her voice terrifies me, too!
The Set seems out dated (last I watched)
And the reporters/ Anchors report like it is the MOST amazing, breaking , once in a lifetime (over dramatized), event that will or has ever happened. I love how KQ makes a mockery of it!
... I'm just saying!
Real News is Better

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Best TV new station in town. They actually cover hard news, not fluff.
Rod Munch

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

The Hubbards newsroom decisions throughout the years are equaled only by Timberwolves management, AIG and Sallie Mae.

“Don't Say Like Dat”

Since: May 08

Jerusalem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

anchors aweigh from shoe anchors aweigh

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••