Dayton eliminates income tax via exec...

Dayton eliminates income tax via executive order

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Late April Fools Joke

Ankeny, IA

#1 Apr 6, 2013
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton shocked the political world by issuing an executive order eliminating the state's income tax. Dayton's newfound fiscal conservatism caught party leaders off-guard.

"For the longest time, I've pushed for higher taxes on higher incomes," Dayton said after issuing the order. "I've just had enough. Running the state makes one realize how much money we waste, and little of it goes back to taxpayers. I'd rather our taxpayers keep what they earn, rather than waste it on useless ventures."

House Speaker Paul Thissen immediately denounced the order, and effectively excommunicated Dayton from the DFL party.

"He is now dead to us," Thissen said. "Now we must drastically reduce our state spending just to meet the budget, and we won't have any added revenue coming in. We wouldn't even expect this reckless move from a Republican, let alone our DFL governor."

House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt praised Dayton's change of heart, and pledged to work with him on trimming programs that Republicans find wasteful.

"We could start with that stupid light-rail line," Daudt said. "Eliminating that alone would save millions, which could be diverted to fixing those gaping potholes on our highways."

The sudden move by Dayton comes as he faces re-election against emerging conservative opposition. The governor felt he could undercut the GOP by tacking further rightward than even they had planned. But now he faces primary challenges from DFLers, including Sen. Al Franken.

"I hadn't planned to run for state office, but Dayton's actions are inexcusable," Franken said. "I hope the state soundly defeats this reckless man in November."

Read more: http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/articles/kt...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CBS, PBS star Charlie Rose suspended after sexu... 13 min Franken is TOAST 10
Trump on UCLA basketball players: 'I should hav... 1 hr Cat Fan 5
Will This Finish Off The NFL? 3 hr Cat Fan 35
Another st.paul murder 3 hr Franken is TOAST 11
Review: Crestview Property Maintenance 6 hr Bobtheman 1
Cowboy Chris Turned Homosexual (Jul '15) 9 hr FOVR 9
Prosecutors: Boy, 11, smothered by 400-pound st... 9 hr CayCayCrassus 1

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance