Democrats in Congress more liberal with stamp of approval

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

John Lee Anonymous

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Sep 1, 2013
Washington – Minnesota’s congressional Democrats are more liberal than their Republican counterparts with their pens, not just their politics.

When it comes to signing onto legislation as co-sponsors, Minnesota has some of the most prolific.

In the U.S. Senate, Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken are among the top 10 co-signers. Through the beginning of August, Klobuchar co-sponsored 201 bills and amendments while Franken co-sponsored 195.

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison ranks seventh among the 435 U.S. House members. He’s attached his signature to 341 bills and amendments. That’s nearly four pieces of legislation for every day the House has been in session this year.

Combined, Minnesota’s three House Republicans, Michele Bachmann (104), John Kline (149) and Erik Paulsen (89), have co-sponsored 342 bills and amendments, only one more than Ellison.

Academic studies have proposed a wide range of conclusions as to why legislators publicly support legislation.

For a lawmaker touting a bill, having dozens of colleagues sign on, especially if the support is bipartisan, is a stamp of approval: something tangible they can point to as evidence of strong backing.

“It doesn’t cost anything to support a bill,” Ellison said.

“The bills that I individually introduce myself, and a few others, I put tremendous amount of effort into passing. But then there are other bills that I count on my colleagues to pull the heavy oar on, but I still support the concept.”
Jennifer

Walnut, CA

#2 Sep 1, 2013
Minnesota is lucky to have such a great group in Congress. All the GOP rejects are not wisely seeking reelection or will lose in the next election.
Typical Democrat

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Sep 1, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
Minnesota is lucky to have such a great group in Congress. All the GOP rejects are not wisely seeking reelection or will lose in the next election.
Al Franken makes jokes about raping women. We need more people just like Big Al in Congress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 11 min Earthling-1 33,944
Jihadi John Identified 3 hr Snoop 20
Vehicle License Tabs 3 hr Snoop 4
Drudge: obama threatened to shoot down israeli ... 3 hr Snoop 10
Minnesota 1.87 Billion Dollar Surplus 4 hr Snoop 13
Rino clown jeb bush booed at cpac 11 hr FOVR 5
Leaving White Trash Bay 13 hr Apoligetic Racist 21
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web