In police interview, Sontoya denied s...

In police interview, Sontoya denied sex with Romo was deadly

There are 83 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 12, 2009, titled In police interview, Sontoya denied sex with Romo was deadly. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Michael Sontoya told a police investigator that he and Gabriela Romo had gone out, come back to his apartment and had sex.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
observer

United States

#1 May 13, 2009
his brother is a sgt correctional officer, not a sheriff's deputy. His other brother is a st paul cop,
Get a clue

Cottage Grove, MN

#2 May 13, 2009
Why do the defendant's family get reserved seats, but not the victim? Total BS. I hope the jury returns a 30 second verdict.
MRH

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 13, 2009
Get a clue wrote:
Why do the defendant's family get reserved seats, but not the victim? Total BS. I hope the jury returns a 30 second verdict.
Because his family obviously thinks they have some "pull" somewhere in the system.....and why shouldn' they think that!?!?!? How many times has Mike gotten off on charges he's been convicted of!?!?!? That's ok, give them a front seat, let them look at him close enough to remember what that scum looks like because hopefully, that will be the last time they see him outside of a jail cell! He is caught! I pray for him that he gets enough time to stay in there and every time he closes his eyes in his cold cell, Gaby's face and lifeless body flashes in his eyes.....he's pathetic!
nena

United States

#4 May 13, 2009
curious

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 13, 2009
Those of you who know the people in this case better, I am wondering something. If Sontoya was a horrible person, accused of killing Romo's ex's cousin, etc., why would she choose to hang out with him?
Don't get me wrong, he deserves a guilty verdict (and then some!), but I'm just trying to understand the relationship that was behind this.
Juice Newton

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 13, 2009
God bless the kids who lost a mother.....
unbelieveable

San Francisco, CA

#8 May 13, 2009
curious wrote:
Those of you who know the people in this case better, I am wondering something. If Sontoya was a horrible person, accused of killing Romo's ex's cousin, etc., why would she choose to hang out with him?
Don't get me wrong, he deserves a guilty verdict (and then some!), but I'm just trying to understand the relationship that was behind this.
Who cares? What a stupid question. Why do you need to understand the relationship? I don't think that when she chose to hang out with him she suspected that she would end up in a situation with that amount of violence involved.
yokas

Buffalo, MN

#9 May 13, 2009
I wonder if "his: family is glad they helped him all these years? They are as guilty in this as he is. They enabled him!
curious

Circle Pines, MN

#10 May 13, 2009
I wonder with all the evidence against him, I wonder if he will get on the stand?
Correction

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 13, 2009
curious wrote:
He was acqutted on a shooting where the Gaby's ex's cousin was the "victim". The one that was on the news talking too much. He neglected to mention the crowbar he threatened and then came at Mike with. Not defending the undefendable, but will correct the errors.
West Side Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#13 May 13, 2009
curious wrote:
Also, understand that Gaby and Mike's children are also cousins and Mike and Gaby had known each other since they were little kids. Why wouldn't she feel safe? She was around him her whole life. He fooled all of us.
wronged

Saint Paul, MN

#14 May 13, 2009
How dare any of you judge the Sontoya family..you can't tell me that if it wasn't your brother up on that stand that you would not be at the court house wanting to support him. They have just as much right as the Romo family to be there...he is their loved one. Yes, Mike screwed up and yes he has gotten off in the pass but let the jury determine this case. No one is saying that he is perfect and the comments about his family and them going to hell right along with him is uncalled for..you would not people talking that way about you if it happened to your family member.. Why don't you people grow up and think before you comment on these post.
SAD

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 13, 2009
How does one take a picture of a naked body that was on the floor and then determine that person isn't breathing an hour later? It is beyond comprehension. Then for the paramedics to arrive later and find that body fully clothed AND in a different spot? There is something seriously sick about Mike that maybe no one knew about. How can someone live with themselves knowing in their gut that they did something terrible to another human being and show no signs of pain,remorse or sorrow? Even if one truly believes they did nothing wrong, FRIENDS don't let FRIENDS wait an hour before attempting (stupid attempt it was) to help. Don't we all learn in elementary school to call 911 if we see there is ANY sign of danger to someone (limp body, non responsive)? God bless Gaby's family. My heart goes out to you.
mary

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 13, 2009
MRH wrote:
<quoted text>
Because his family obviously thinks they have some "pull" somewhere in the system.....and why shouldn' they think that!?!?!? How many times has Mike gotten off on charges he's been convicted of!?!?!? That's ok, give them a front seat, let them look at him close enough to remember what that scum looks like because hopefully, that will be the last time they see him outside of a jail cell! He is caught! I pray for him that he gets enough time to stay in there and every time he closes his eyes in his cold cell, Gaby's face and lifeless body flashes in his eyes.....he's pathetic!
Great. now we have more cops covering up crap their family members are into. this is going to turn into another Aaron Foster story. Go to Justice for Barbara website and see Finneys involvment.
yokas

Buffalo, MN

#17 May 13, 2009
wronged wrote:
How dare any of you judge the Sontoya family..you can't tell me that if it wasn't your brother up on that stand that you would not be at the court house wanting to support him. They have just as much right as the Romo family to be there...he is their loved one. Yes, Mike screwed up and yes he has gotten off in the pass but let the jury determine this case. No one is saying that he is perfect and the comments about his family and them going to hell right along with him is uncalled for..you would not people talking that way about you if it happened to your family member.. Why don't you people grow up and think before you comment on these post.
Really?

His brothers should be looked at for how/why they helped him in the past. His family helped him grow into what he has become. Maybe if he had learned about consequence in the past he wouldn't be in this situation??
Cousin

United States

#19 May 13, 2009
It's so hard to understand why all of this had to happen. I cannot understand the mindset of someone who could rape another human being to death, take pictures of her lifeless body, and then proceed to attempt to cover up what he did to her. The more I think about what Gaby went through that night, the more I wonder if she would have been able to live with what happened to her had she survived the attack.

I don't think any of us will ever be able to forgive Mike for taking Gaby from us. He is a coward and is intentionally slandering Gaby's good name to cover up his own heinous acts. Gaby was a wonderful person and an amazing mother and she didn't deserve to die the way she did.

You can all say what you want to about Mike, but it's not going to bring Gaby back. He'll get what's coming to him and he'll have a red hot resting place waiting for him when he leaves this earth...
damn

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 13, 2009
im sorry that all the families had to go through this but i dont feel that he should be locked up for this he has to face the rest of his life knowin he caused this and i think that is enough pain i knew both of them and to tell you the truth maybe she was the first to die but you all do that same shit every weekend, so i dont think neither family can pass judgement on each other... cant we all just get along if not for them for the kids envolved in the situation.
Extended Family

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 13, 2009
Some ask the question:“why would Gaby associate with this person if he were so horrible?” Why is it that when a woman is brutally murdered, it is some how her fault in some people’s minds; because asking why Gaby would associate with Sontoya is doing exactly that, accusing of Gaby of this somehow being her fault. Wow, please take a moment to actually read and comprehend what you are saying before posting such a hurtful message.

The Romo family members are very good people; kind hearted, giving, the kind of folks who without hesitation would pick you up when you are down, put their arms around you and give you the shirt off their backs.

The truth, Sontoya is a psychopath by definition:“…[a] psychopath tends to be extremely organized, secretive and manipulative. The outer personality is often charismatic and charming, hiding the real person beneath. Though psychopaths do not feel for others, they can mimic behaviors that make them appear normal. Upon meeting, one would have more of a tendency to trust a psychopath.”

Maybe this definition will put to rest any doubt in your minds that somehow, precious Gaby, had a role to play in her own torturous death. Again, the Romo family is kind, trusting people and Sontoya is a psychopathic chameleon who can change his spots at any time. Obviously, his past history proves that beyond a reasonable doubt.

It hurts me deeply that Gaby’s loved ones have to endure such horrific pain to try to bring justice to Gaby. I will continue to pray for you. Be strong as I know you are. Hold your heads high and thing of Gaby always as she is with you, holding your hand down this road you have to walk down.

Someday down the road when you are ready, there are two programs that can help you heal. They are:“Restorative Justice” and “Victim/Offender Dialogue.” Just put that in the back of your minds for now; get through today, take deep breaths and remember, you are good, loving people and God will help you heal.

“SAY WHAT ???????????????”

Since: Mar 09

BULLRUSH

#22 May 13, 2009
I think this guy's stretching the truth a bit,seems he works that way
jmb

Saint Paul, MN

#23 May 13, 2009
damn wrote:
im sorry that all the families had to go through this but i dont feel that he should be locked up for this he has to face the rest of his life knowin he caused this and i think that is enough pain i knew both of them and to tell you the truth maybe she was the first to die but you all do that same **** every weekend, so i dont think neither family can pass judgement on each other... cant we all just get along if not for them for the kids envolved in the situation.
not locked up for this?? Are you serious?? So he can be free to do it again to another woman and leave more children motherless?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 39 min Talkin To daStupid 39,174
News Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr Abe 26,709
Phil anselmo 5 hr Space ace 1
Minnesotans are the WORST 9 hr Space ace 1
Club calls police on black women golfers over s... 9 hr Space ace 8
Crassus, fovr, davy Tue Space ace 6
Comey beng investigated by IG Tue MAGAfiggypops 9

Minneapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages